Menu

Math program for math challenged parent

indigomama

I have read several threads about the various math programs and I still don't know what to pick.

I need:

-a program that is easy to teach, as I have a hard time with math (I guess I need it very scripted)

-easy to implement (I will have three younger children, I need to be able to give a short lesson and let my DS work on it)

-it's for 1st grade but it would be great if we could stick with the same program for a few years

prefer not to use online or video

Any suggestions would be great, thank you:)

Saxon is scripted, easy-to-use, and you can feel confident knowing that your children will be well-prepared. I know there is some controversy about requiring every problem vs skipping some problems, and I am not knowledgeable enough to comment, but if you are a math-anxious person, Saxon could probably put your mind at rest.

Math Mammoth. There's enough explanation in the worktext that strong readers can do it independently. So, I bet that is good enough for even the most math-challenged parent! Just add some manipulatives (like snacks or other stuff aroudn the house) that match the pictures. I'm finding MM to be SO easy to teach and implement. DD is really "getting" math with this program!

It's conceptual like Singapore, but drills more. So, it's like a lighter busywork/drill and kill Saxon with the mental math of Singapore built in. It's also right on target or advanced grade-wise IMHO. More traditional scope & seq than Singapore, more conceptual than Saxon (and cheaper!).

Math Mammoth. There's enough explanation in the worktext that strong readers can do it independently. So, I bet that is good enough for even the most math-challenged parent! Just add some manipulatives (like snacks or other stuff aroudn the house) that match the pictures. I'm finding MM to be SO easy to teach and implement. DD is really "getting" math with this program!

It's conceptual like Singapore, but drills more. So, it's like a lighter busywork/drill and kill Saxon with the mental math of Singapore built in. It's also right on target or advanced grade-wise IMHO. More traditional scope & seq than Singapore, more conceptual than Saxon (and cheaper!).

:iagree:

The only other thing I would suggest would be www.mathusee.com

It's been great for my mathy DS as well as my math phobic DD.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We just started using MM about 2 weeks ago. It is very easy to use. It is also written so that your child can go slower if they are having troubles with a concept, or move quickly when it's easier.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Math Mammoth seems to be really popular. It is actually one I haven't looked at yet. I will check it out now.

Those of you who use it find that it provides all the instruction I need to teach the math concepts and is complete enough that my DS will be getting a solid foundation?

Yup. I am currently in love with Math Mammoth as well. :D The teaching instructions and explanations are very clear and are often in small steps that gradually progress. As for completeness, I can't speak from personal experience since I am only using Gr. 1 and 2 but from what I hear, it provides a great foundation and is very complete. I plan on using it right through Gr. 6.

I love Math Mammoth! It's the only math program I've used. I often wonder what I might be missing with other programs, but I'm sticking with what works! I've always been strong in math, but with it's straight forward approach, the instructions in the body of the pages and examples it really teaches it's self.

If you can manage the parent-intensiveness of the program, I highly recommend Right Start. Really it only takes about 15 minutes per lesson and it's so worth it!

I love RS. I love love love it. I have a child in B and a child in C. I have never found it take 15 minutes. With my son, in B, we take about 30 minutes. With my daughter, in C, we take 40-45. Although I love love love RS, if the OP wants a program where she can do a short lesson with her son and then let him complete the work, RS is not the answer. It is not designed to be one where a child completes the lesson alone, at least not in the three levels I have experience with.

Tara

I love RS. I love love love it. I have a child in B and a child in C. I have never found it take 15 minutes. With my son, in B, we take about 30 minutes. With my daughter, in C, we take 40-45. Although I love love love RS, if the OP wants a program where she can do a short lesson with her son and then let him complete the work, RS is not the answer. It is not designed to be one where a child completes the lesson alone, at least not in the three levels I have experience with.

Tara

Tara- Thank you for your assessment. I have really wanted to do RS but from reading other posts it sounded like a bit more than I would realistically be able to accomplish. Your post helps confirm that while it might be a great program, it won't do my DS any good if I am not able to implement it.

I have narrowed down my choices to Math Mammoth or CLE. If people wanted to continue to weigh in on their opinions, I would appreciate it.

Thank you:)

:iagree:

The author, Maria Miller, has degrees in both math and teaching, and she is a homeschool parent herself. She is absolutely passionate about math education, and she really put a lot of thought and planning into this curriculum. She took the best aspects of several different programs and combined them in a package that is incredibly easy for homeschool parents to teach. And she made it really affordable!

Jackie