Menu

Nasty PC Virus

I got a nasty, vicious little bugger the other day. It is called anti-virus 2010 and it blocks up all administrator tasks.

It downloads itself automatically through Adobe plugins. I was checking my yahoo email and it downloaded on to my computer while an advertisement was uploading. Had no idea, until it was done and then my computer was infected.

The only way to remove it is to reinstall your operating system. My tech friend said it has been going around and it is one of the crappiest, most difficult ones he has seen.

So, please be safe - make sure your anti-virus definitions are up to date and always running. I almost lost ALL my documents, fortunately I run XP and my hard drive was partitioned.

It's called internet security 2010. I've got this. Twice :mad::mad:

If you get it, never shut down your computer, otherwise it won't let you login. This happened to my Dell laptop. It goes to a tech now.

The second one gets to my desktop. I killed it with malwarebytes but it has corrupted our windows. So we reinstalled windows. I guess it's sufficient to just reinstall the OS.

It's very nasty and can get trhough many antivirus. The one antivirus which is modern enough to tackle this is malwarebytes (it's free).

Forgive me for being a complete tech idiot, but what is an adobe plug in? I run the program, of course, but I don't understand a "plug in" for that program.

Also, I have a yahoo mail (the whole fam does)...what anti-virus were you running that you still became infected.

Did you know right away something was up? If so, how?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Forgive me for being a complete tech idiot, but what is an adobe plug in? I run the program, of course, but I don't understand a "plug in" for that program.

Also, I have a yahoo mail (the whole fam does)...what anti-virus were you running that you still became infected.

Did you know right away something was up? If so, how?

Any info would be much appreciated!

I don't think she got it through the Adobe pluggin. You have this installed in your browser so that you can view .pdf files without having to open Acrobat seperately.

It probably came from an advertisement while visiting Yahoo mail. But really it's hard to say exactly where they come from because of the ways they infiltrate your system.

If you have Vista or Win 7, if you get a pop-up stating that your computer is infected, then do NOT click it. Stop and let your virus software kick in. Also the system should block the attempt to install as long as you don't click anything. (it's ok to click the system button that comes up, just make sure that's what it is.)

I'm not sure what you should do if you have XP. But clicking on the wrong pop-up makes it a sure thing that this will install on your system, even by clicking "no". (It's a fake no!) More often than not, these viruses deceive you into installing them. Watch what you click and tell everyone in your family to do the same!

Here's more information on the Antivirus 2010: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-2010

And on the Internet Security 2010 here: http://www.enigmasoftware.com/internetsecurity2010-removal/

(They are different!)

Edited by jannylynn
someday I'll read before posting. LOL!