Menu

Latin for a 2nd grader...

Ladies, I've been trying to choose a Latin curriculum for my son who will be in 2nd grade next year. He will finish Song School Latin this year.

I've read about Latin programs on this forum, but I'm really not sure which one might be the best fit for us. The more I read, the muddier the water gets. I never took Latin..... had only 1 year of Spanish a LONG time ago. I will need some hand-holding.

There are not many choices for a 2nd grader. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like we need to choose from Prima Latina, Latin's Not So Tough, Minimus and maybe Lively Latin. Every other Latin curriculua I read about starts in 3rd grade.

My son has asked to continue Latin. He has gotten used to the "fun" of SSL. I need to continue this aspect of "fun". If I try to get too academic, he will NOT want to continue. Yet, I want to get as far into the declenations, etc... as we can at this age.

Ok... I don't know how important macrons really are, but from reading one post about them, I think I should choose a curriculum that teaches them from the beginning.

My goal in using Latin is to strengthen my child's grammar skills and enhance vocabulary.... I think we need part to whole.

Finally, I need a logical progression if we are to continue Latin study for several years. Also, one that is consistant in either classical or ecclesiastical pronounciation. (Classical seems more popular.)

If we started with LL, PL, LNST or Minimus we could grow into LfC, First Form Latin, or stay with LL. These seem to be my favorites, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Please..... share with me a FUN 2nd grade curriculum that could follow SSL and graduates into an older level for 3rd grade and beyond.

How many of you have used Lively Latin successfully at 2nd grade? Seems like that curriculum could go either way depending on the child.

BTW, we will have completed Writing With Ease vol. 1 and First Language Lessons 1 by the end of this year. His reading is on grade level..... he reads mostly word-to-word and is working to read more smoothly. (Sing, Spell, Read, and Write 1st grade) His writing is ok.... not too slow but not fast.

Prima Latina will give you--

Part to whole

Grammar (gently)

derivatives to build vocab

Only a few words a week

You can make it fun by making your own bingo games, by acting out the verbs, by having ds draw pictures on homemade flashcards, etc.

Personally, I do not like the DVD's as I think they are dry. But I've found adding in games really helps.

We will be in the same place a year from now, as we will be doing Song School Latin next year for first grade. I've tentatively planned to do Prima Latina for second grade, adding in games and hands-on activities as the previous poster suggested. I'm not sure where we will move after this, but we will definitely be using the ecclesiastical pronunciation.

My son has asked to continue Latin. He has gotten used to the "fun" of SSL. I need to continue this aspect of "fun". If I try to get too academic, he will NOT want to continue. Yet, I want to get as far into the declenations, etc... as we can at this age.

Ok... I don't know how important macrons really are, but from reading one post about them, I think I should choose a curriculum that teaches them from the beginning.

My goal in using Latin is to strengthen my child's grammar skills and enhance vocabulary.... I think we need part to whole.

Finally, I need a logical progression if we are to continue Latin study for several years. Also, one that is consistant in either classical or ecclesiastical pronounciation. (Classical seems more popular.)

If we started with LL, PL, LNST or Minimus we could grow into LfC, First Form Latin, or stay with LL. These seem to be my favorites, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Please..... share with me a FUN 2nd grade curriculum that could follow SSL and graduates into an older level for 3rd grade and beyond.

How many of you have used Lively Latin successfully at 2nd grade? Seems like that curriculum could go either way depending on the child.

BTW, we will have completed Writing With Ease vol. 1 and First Language Lessons 1 by the end of this year. His reading is on grade level..... he reads mostly word-to-word and is working to read more smoothly. (Sing, Spell, Read, and Write 1st grade) His writing is ok.... not too slow but not fast.

I've used or am using PL, LL, and Minimus. I'm not familiar with LNST, so I can't comment on that.

Prima is ecclesiastical pronunciation, does not use macrons, and my daughter really enjoyed it, although many people on the board find it boring. We did not use the DVDs at that level but we used them for LCI and they were pretty boring. My dd liked that every week was the same. *shrug* I'm not really sure if I would call it "fun," although I believe it is a very solid program, and is great if it works with your child's learning style. To continue the sequence with Memoria Press, and if you went at the rate of one program a year, you would go into Latina Christiana I in 3rd, and then First Form in 4th, and so on...

My dd is loving Minimus, but she is a whole to parts learner. We are not using the teacher's manual since we are only using it as a fun Friday thing to practice reading Latin. She thinks Minimus the mouse is funny and doesn't want to stop reading when we've finished the lesson; I've seen her reading it on her own. She also goes around the house "speaking" Latin. "mus sum...mus exit..." You can search for Minimus on the boards and get a better picture from those who've used it with the Teacher's Manual. I think the TM really fleshes the program out, and I'm sure we're missing a lot by not using it, but the TM is $$$. I imagine with the TM Minimus would then be considered a full program. Minimus uses macrons, is classical pronunciation (there is an audio CD to go with it), and there is a second program to follow: Secundus. I believe those lead into the Latin Prep progression??? Abbeyej and others would know better than I!

Lively Latin is written for 3rd-6th graders, I believe. We started it 2nd semester, 2nd grade after doing PL last year and LCI for a semester. It has been perfect for her so far, but I'm sure it will get more difficult. We are taking it slowly (one unit over 3 weeks), but we will take it more slowly if needed...we're not in any rush, but I *do* want a good, solid foundation. LL uses macrons, and you can choose either ecclesiastical or classical pronunciation. It includes a history portion, which I think some people skip, but my dd *loves* history, so we do all of the program. Plus, since she is younger it gives her more time with each unit to really solidify the vocabulary for the lesson. Even though she liked the structure of PL & LCI, she's also really enjoying the variety of LL. Every day is different--Lessons, Vocabulary, Picture Study, History, etc...Also, there are online games and audio. I have the 2CD set (although my audio CD is not working :glare:), and I just print out each unit as we go. I would definitely call Lively Latin *fun,* and I imagine would hold your DS's interest well. Catherine is currently working on LL2 and putting out units as she goes. I think LL2 can lead into Henle or many of the other programs. We will probably go onto LL2, and then from there, I'm not sure. We are following a Latin-Centered Curriculum, so our long-term plan is reading works in the original.

HTH...even though I'm still figuring it all out myself!!! :D And anyone else is welcome to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong somewhere!! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by mommahawk
Typos

Heather,

Thanks so much for the experience you shared!

I wonder how PL and LCI compare with SSL. Seems like PL and LC1 had more "real" Latin.... SSL has been all vocabulary with very little teaching about word endings. I don't know if SSL is enough to prepare for LL.

I emailed Catherine to ask her opinion if LL might fit us for 2nd grade after using SSL in 1st, but I haven't heard from her.

I've always liked LL. I've kind of wondered about using with all 3 of my kids next year. Maybe then my 2nd grader could catch on more easily just having fun with it with sibblings. (They used Rosetta Stone Spanish this year which started out ok, but because of a lack of grammar, they have become increasingly frustrated with that.) If we took time to practice Latin maybe it would eventually help them with Spanish which we could pick up again in high school...... so many thoughts.

I read where LNST moves at the slowest pace and thus is good for beginners, but I'm not convinced it transfers easily to a long-term curriculum.

I'm concerned PL might be a little *boring* compared to what my son is used to..... I really don't want to have to make games. I'll have a 7th and 6th grader along with my youngest son.

Minimus sounds like it is fun, but I've read conflicting reviews about it.... that it does not go as far as other Latin programs plus it's quite expensive.

LL isn't cheap. I think that is one part about it that is hard for me to swallow. Maybe the disc like you have is the best deal. I've read a lot of reviews that all report LL is fun!!!:) And, there is a path to upper levels if/when we need them. (Henle.... could there be others?)

Hopefully, others will chime in with their experiences and opinions. Thanks again for your time!!!

This year we are doing Prima Latina with the DVDs with my 9yo and 7yo. Really we all find them a nice change of pace to our week's routine. It gives me a chance to sit down with a cup of coffee and listen and watch while someone else does the teaching. I waited a little later than usual to start with my oldest (she's 9yo) so that I could double up and have my two oldest do this together. My 6yo is eavesdropping on each lesson (she does a puzzle or coloring) and I bet she's more advanced than I realize.

We keep it pretty simple. My goal at this level is to have them enjoy Latin. They watch and listen to the DVD, do the workbook during the week, and listen to the CD (while they are captive prisoners in the van) for review. I don't put a lot of pressure on making sure they memorized the words. We do a lot of memorization in Classical Conversations.

My exciting Latin moment was while we were shopping at Costco and my dd7 saw the drink called Vita Water (or whatever). She was quite excited to make the Latin connection - "that means life water!" Love those homeschooling moments.

Have you thought about using LfC slowly? I just started my 2nd grader with LfC A. I plan to let her take her time with it. We'll add in the activity book for some fun. She really likes the kids chanting on the DVD and CD, which is somewhat like SSL.

My 3rd grader (last year) did PL and she enjoyed it, but she really likes languages. It was gentle and didn't take too much time. I think it could be done by a 2nd grader. However, this same dd mentioned last night that she thought the songs (chanting) that she heard from her sister's latin (LfC) yesterday sounded a lot more fun than the latin that she's had (she's in LC 1 this year).

I would use Minimus and pick up with one of the other great programs in 3rd. I would also do another year of English grammar and I would get Getting Started with Latin for myself and work through it over the summer. I regret starting my oldest two boys in LfC A when they were in 2nd & 3rd without learning some Latin myself first and without making sure they had an understanding of English grammar.

My 2nd grader loves Minimus. It is fun, continues exposure to Latin and how it works through reading/translation.

My ds9 is using Lively Latin, and it's not as fun as Minimus or SSL. This would be my 2nd choice for a 2nd grader, but it does get a bit academic. I really like Minimus for this age for the fun aspect.

My oldest two and I also did Prima Latina before we moved into LfC A. It's a solid program but rates about a -1 on the fun scale in our opinion.

Edited by JudoMom

I would use Minimus and pick up with one of the other great programs in 3rd. I would also do another year of English grammar and I would get Getting Started with Latin for myself and work through it over the summer. I regret starting my oldest two boys in LfC A when they were in 2nd & 3rd without learning some Latin myself first and without making sure they had an understanding of English grammar.

My 2nd grader loves Minimus. It is fun, continues exposure to Latin and how it works through reading/translation.

My ds9 is using Lively Latin, and it's not as fun as Minimus or SSL. This would be my 2nd choice for a 2nd grader, but it does get a bit academic. I really like Minimus for this age for the fun aspect.

My oldest two and I also did Prima Latina before we moved into LfC A. It's a solid program but rates about a -1 on the fun scale in our opinion.

This sounds like a good suggestion.

There must be a good reason most Latin programs begin in 3rd grade. Minimus is whole to part and does not teach as much as other Latin curricula, so I've read on different reviews. Yet if a 2nd grader is using it maybe it's just the right amount for this age and would be a stepping stone to other programs.

I wonder what the most popular/loved Latin curriculum is. How do you take a survey??? I would love to know what is the most popular.

Thanks for your suggestion! I'm going to consider Minimus again.

I'd love to hear what others' thoughts are.

This is my first year of homeschooling, and my eldest is currently in 2nd grade. We've been using Prima Latina. I have never taken Latin before, and chose Prima Latina mainly on the recommendations of the only friends I know who homeschool, who used it with their 2nd grader. I know others have commented that it's dry, and not having seen any other Latin programs, I can't speak comparatively. But, I still remember the day I received the PL curriculum and thumbed through the textbook. I had previously been a little wary of this whole area of study, not having gone through a classical education myself and not quite "getting" the importance of studying Latin, despite having read all the articles on the benefits of doing so. But once I read through the PL text, I was so excited for my son to start on it. Everyone says that PL is a gentle introduction, and that's how it felt to me--gentle, but yet enough exposure to and basic understanding of the language/vocab that I was really thrilled about it. I love that my son has been memorizing lovely Latin prayers, and I think he feels that Leigh Lowe (the instructor on the video) is a very nice teacher. =) I wouldn't say it's been an exciting program, but it has indeed been a gentle introduction to the language which is what I was hoping for for 2nd grade.

The question for me now is, what should I do next? I haven't given it a huge amount of thought, but I am trying to figure out what to do next year. Continue with Latina Christiana I? Try out Lively Latin? Not sure. I have read about the whole macron issue as well, which perhaps is not a big deal if you're planning to mainly to read and not to speak Latin in the future? Still needing to do research on this question.

Good luck with your decision!

Ladies,

I've found something that looks promising. Tell me what you think.

On Amazon, they have a bundle that includes Minimus with Getting Started with Latin by Linny (excellent reviews) with Usborn Language Guides: Latin for Beginners all for $43.35.

Really, the GSwL book looks great: gentle but *real* and reasonably priced! The book includes the lessons with pronounciation being a free download. I think there are additional lesson plans or lesson add-ons on the internet as well, but I haven't found them yet.

I imagine using GSwL on Mon-Thurs and reading a story on Friday with Minimus. I don't know exactly how to add in the Usborn book, but it looks like a practical addition to this package.

This looks like it would fit my need for a 2nd grade program and fill in the time until we could pick a curriculum for 3rd grade.

Any comments? I'm encouraged!

I would recommend Minimus for second grade. Don't worry about the TM, just buy the regular book on amazon.com, with the CD. Search specifically for the CD; for some reason it doesn't come up if you just search "minimus latin." It is very fun to hear the stories "acted out" on the CD. Vibrissa the cat hisses, "Vibrissssssa sum. Felix sum." (or whichever word they use for cat in Minimus) The children on the CD have excellent pronunciation.

If you do finish Minimus early, then I would start LFC A and go slowly. The DVD's are fun -- don't miss them. And be sure to get the most current versions of the products. They are always making them better. For example, I believe they don't chant quite as quickly anymore on the DVD, because folks were getting frustrated by the pace. We do Latin Prep now, but we still use the "songs" from LFC to remember things, like the "ablative case preposition flow." Julie exits, humming Latin prepositions....

Julie

Comenius' Vestibulum and the Orbis Pictus (The real world in pictures) are suitable for this age group.

They have no grammar per se, but will teach basic structures - these texts were written for 5 and 6 year olds. They form the basis of Comenius' curriculum, which advanced all the way to College level Latin.

You can find the audio files for the Vestibulum and the Orbis Pictus on Latinum