Menu

Geometry--confused on what to use!!!!

I have been searching post on Geometry curriculum, until my head hurts. Dd has been using Jacob’s Elementary Algebra this year. Next year she will be taking Geometry. I always did well in math and I thought we would continue with Jacob’s Geometry. I really would like to find something that she can do on her own. This year we are using Dr.Callahan, but after viewing the Geometry demo I don’t think I want to use it (the man stands in front on the board and you can’t see very clearly what is on the board). TT geometry looks good but its reviews on this board are pretty negative (Dd wants to be a Vet). Anybody has something good to say about Saxon Geometry ?? I want a program that has someone else teaching, with the occasional input from me when she gets stuck ( I have two more children to home school). I want clear solutions, step by step so I can tell her to look it up if she gets very stuck and I can’t help her. Ideas…recommendations…please!

TT geometry looks good but its reviews on this board are pretty negative.

You know, when I was having this exact same problem, I found that the negative reviews of TT centered *completely* around the algebra sequence. TT Geometry seems to stand on its own. I've carefully compared it to Jacobs, and it covers the same material. For one chapter we even did TT and then the corresponding chapter in Jacobs and the treatment was essentially the same. The only difference I found was that the algebra required in TT wasn't at as high a level, which you would expect if the students aren't as far along at the end of Algebra I in TT.

I used TT because the presentation was much clearer than Jacobs. My son will be finishing TT Geometry tomorrow and I think it was a decent course. I would not call it honors level, but it was solid.

I agree with the other poster that TT's Geometry program is solid--not honors but average--it gets the job done--it will prepare your student for the Geometry problems on the SAT/ACT...

A solid Algebra sequence is more important to your dd if she is wanting to be a Vet...

Use a Geometry program that you both can deal with!

I'm switching Geometry programs for my online classes next fall... so I know how it feels to be overwhelmed with so many 'so-so' feeling choices! I chose to go with Holt 2007 edition. It is a great text/program--but it might be a bit much to plan from unless you know what you NEED to assign and what you can OMIT (there is just too much in there to do it all)--I've taught Geometry for years--and it took me MONTHS to decide on a text!

Use a Geometry program that you both can deal with!

!

:iagree::iagree: Dd has been doing best with Life of Fred Geometry. I supplemented, because I go a bit heavy on math and in proofs LoF allows dc to say "Algebra" for any step proved Algebraically, instead of naming each Algebra postulate. That might not be important for you, but dd wants to major in either science or math, so it was important to me. There are no proofs on the SAT.

As for TT, we've only ever seen the Algebra 1 book.

If you want to continue with Jacobs, here's an online course (with videos -- there are samples on the website and on YouTube) that uses it for geometry. I've heard nothing but raves from local friends using Mr. Owens' classes, and we plan to do this particular class in the fall. (We will likely be paying the extra to attend class in person, though I know others who have been very happy with his online version of the class.)

http://derekowens.com/0910/course_info_geometry.php

DD is taking geometry this year. We started with Chalkdust Traditional. It didn't work, so I changed to BJU Geometry with the rented dvds. It is a great fit for her. All of the teaching (and review, and quizzes) is done on the dvds, all I have to do is tell her which dvd to watch, correct homework (you don't even have to do that, odds are in the back to check and the teacher posts the answers to the evens the next day), and print out and correct tests. Wonderful!