Menu

Grammar rule question: possessive rules

teamturner

I'm using Shurley English 4 w/my sons and I came across something that is different than the way I was taught.

According to Shurley English, you make words possessive following these 3 rules:

1. For a singular noun- add ('s). i.e. boy's

2. For a plural noun that ends in S- add (') i.e. boys'

3. For a plural noun that does not end in S- add ('s) i.e. men's

They assert that the possessive for class is class's and for James is James's. I thought that if the singular noun ended in s you simply add the apostrophe to it, rather than ('s). So my examples above would be the class' recess and James' jacket.

Okay so I may not have had the best education or maybe I made this up, but one of my boys who reads like crazy agrees w/me. Which way is correct?? :confused:

I learned the way you did, and that is the way I prefer. But I've read that, for whatever reason, that is no longer the preferred way, and only is used for certain traditional words, like Jesus', Moses', etc.

Personally, I'm sticking with what I like, but will make sure my kids are aware that it is the older standard.

ITA with Shurley. So does ABeka.

A singlular noun still gets 's, even if it ends with -s. There are exceptions: (1) ancient proper names ending in -es (Socrates' pupil, Moses' rod); (2) the name Jesus; and (3) such expressions as "for conscience' sake" or "for goodness' sake." This is from ABeka's Handbook of Grammar and Composition.

It's important to differentiate between what is commonly done "now" and what is correct. They are not always the same (in fact, they are often NOT the same).

ITA with Shurley. So does ABeka.

A singlular noun still gets 's, even if it ends with -s. There are exceptions: (1) ancient proper names ending in -es (Socrates' pupil, Moses' rod); (2) the name Jesus; and (3) such expressions as "for conscience' sake" or "for goodness' sake." This is from ABeka's Handbook of Grammar and Composition.

It's important to differentiate between what is commonly done "now" and what is correct. They are not always the same (in fact, they are often NOT the same).

Just because the MLA has dictated -s's does not mean the other way is incorrect. The Chicago Manual of Style lists -s' as an acceptable alternative.

If their professors want them to use MLA, that is typically made clear in the assignment.

Well, yes, that's why I said it's good to keep in mind that MLA is generally the standard for most university departments. For anyone planning to go to college, I'd strongly advise becoming very familiar with MLA.

I've got a MLA guide on my shelf from my college days and I know how to use it when appropriate. I would expect the same from my kids.

As would I. :001_smile: But you might be surprised by how many college students expect personal tutoring in style guidelines or expect to be cut some slack on their grade when they use the wrong style manual.

I'm using Shurley English 4 w/my sons and I came across something that is different than the way I was taught.

According to Shurley English, you make words possessive following these 3 rules:

1. For a singular noun- add ('s). i.e. boy's

2. For a plural noun that ends in S- add (') i.e. boys'

3. For a plural noun that does not end in S- add ('s) i.e. men's

They assert that the possessive for class is class's and for James is James's. I thought that if the singular noun ended in s you simply add the apostrophe to it, rather than ('s). So my examples above would be the class' recess and James' jacket.

Okay so I may not have had the best education or maybe I made this up, but one of my boys who reads like crazy agrees w/me. Which way is correct?? :confused:

I didn't read the other posts that carefully, but to clarify MLA standards, you add an apostrophe and an s to any singular noun that ends in s. Only plural nouns ending in s do not add an additional s.

Proper nouns have their own rule and they are correct in either form.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/621/01/

The apostrophe has three uses:

1. to form possessives of nouns

2. to show the omission of letters

3. to indicate certain plurals of lowercase letters

Forming Possessives of Nouns

To see if you need to make a possessive, turn the phrase around and make it an "of the..." phrase. For example:

the boy's hat = the hat of the boy

three days' journey = journey of three days

If the noun after "of" is a building, an object, or a piece of furniture, then no apostrophe is needed!

room of the hotel = hotel room

door of the car = car door

leg of the table = table leg

Once you've determined whether you need to make a possessive, follow these rules to create one.

* add 's to the singular form of the word (even if it ends in -s):

the owner's car

James's hat (James' hat is also acceptable. For plural, proper nouns that are possessive, use an apostrophe after the 's': "The Eggles' presentation was good." The Eggles are a husband and wife consultant team.)

* add 's to the plural forms that do not end in -s:

the children's game

the geese's honking

* add ' to the end of plural nouns that end in -s:

houses' roofs

three friends' letters

* add 's to the end of compound words:

my brother-in-law's money

* add 's to the last noun to show joint possession of an object:

Todd and Anne's apartment

Well, yes, that's why I said it's good to keep in mind that MLA is generally the standard for most university departments. For anyone planning to go to college, I'd strongly advise becoming very familiar with MLA.

:iagree: I think it's best to teach MLA format. Stuff like this should be second nature. Otherwise, it's too much to worry about at once.