Menu

Storing chopped onions?

What is the best way to store really fine chopped onions?

I usually use a mini processor to chop up onion nice and fine for some recipes, but it is a pain to clean.. SO thought if I chopped up a whole bunch all at once I could save for later.

So how do you save chopped onion? a zip lock? vacuum sealed bag in fridge? tupperware?

And how long would it be good for all chopped up?

THANKS!

I store it in a ziploc bag, but one of the thicker ones. The thin ones let the smell out too much.

About 3-5 days' worth in the fridge, the rest in the freezer. I use up my freezer stash in about a month but I'm guessing it would last way longer than that.

I chop up onions & store ahead a lot - even if it's not a fine mince, just a regular knife chopping. There are days when even the prospect of peeling & chopping an onion seems like too much & having these ready can be a real boost to actually getting a meal on the table.

I prepare & freeze grated cheese ahead of time as well & it's another thing which can really help with meal prep.

ETA - I do put in a fresh box of baking soda every month & have not had a prob with the onions smelling up the fridge if they're in a thick freezer ziploc. :-)

Edited by hornblower

We also use Zip Loc bags and freeze them. I also squeeze the air out and then flatten the bag as thin as I can get it. (I don't cram the bag full to begin with.) This way I can whack the bag against the counter to break up the chunck of frozen onions so that I can get a small chunk of them out. If the bag gets any holes in it, I put them in a new bag to prevent freezer burn.

Kathy