Menu

What would you think if

Well, based just on this info, I'd have to say that they either need major organizational help or hate their job and are subconsciously trying to get fired.

Could be depression.....but my bet is on the other two.

Also Hornblower may be onto something. Hubby works with a young man (age 23) who is newly married. He had a flat tire today -- which hubby was kind to help him out with. Kid was clueless how to change a tire. At the same time, the kid lost his "fob" access key to get in/out of work. He sometimes forgets to zip his pants while at work (the office is men only). He will forget to follow up on a task. He is very intelligent -- I call him the "Absent Minded Professor". And so on... hubby gives him lots of grace and helps him as he may be lacking organizational skills or his ADHD (he admits as a child he was wired) is off the charts. Fortunately hubby's boss suffers from ADHD but manages it via meds and is very good with being organized.

For those who suggest that it's a potential problem if it's new behavior-I really only have problems like this when I'm really stressed. I'm ADD but I usually manage it well (without meds). However, if I get particularly stressed? Forget it. Example: since my marriage I had never locked my keys in my car, until I went through a stressful period and locked my keys in my car 6 times in 4 weeks. If I'm stressed, I have trouble remaining focused and keeping those habits which usually prevent me from losing/forgetting things.

Just because they tested "negative" for ADD, doesn't mean they are not ADD. It can be a difficult thing to evaluate, most methods are not perfect. I know I'm ADD, even though I've never been tested. There are times where I really manage to keep things organized and in control. However, a lot of stress ratchets it up, makes me much more distracted and I have a lot more trouble coping with those day to day issues like keeping up with things.

This is my dh to a "T." Once the level of stress increases, the forgetfulness snowballs and he can get lost taking out the trash.

Another thing, if we are going through a stressful time at home as opposed to a stressful time that he is having at the office, and I display difficulty handling the stress, then he begins to display difficulty as well -- as if he was 'holding it together' b/c I was, and when I begin to crack, so does he.

BTW, when this did happen to an individual near and dear to me, I sent this person to the doctor.

Mariann

What's funny about stress is that it can become a viscious cycle. You start off mildly stressed about something silly, that leads you to do something stupid, like misplace your license. You're now stressing about two things and you misplace your phone. Then you lose your job (stress level at this point is red). As the stress rises you become less mindful of the here and now, thus the here and now gets worse and you get even more stress into the bargain.

Also, could it be that those once a year happenings are occuring all at once?

Finally, if their 30th is coming up, that could be the root of the issue. I'll be 30 in July and have been pretty preoccupied since last July over the fact that I will be ancient and never young again :p

Julie, aaah to be 30 again, if thats ancient,, phew that puts me in the old folks home.

Gee, now I'm almost embarrassed to say that that could be me! I haven't had a car accident, but the rest could be daily events!

For the record, I do have ADD. ;)

I was going to say the same. And I don't have ADD!

That's almost a normal week for me. Seriously.

My SIL even carried around an extra car key for me for years because I was forever losing my keys or locking them in the car. I've lost wallets, phones, etc. I forget stuff all the time. I'm just scatterbrained, and no amount of organizing helps. It gets MUCH worse if I have a lot on my plate, or if I'm sick.

That said, if this is a NEW behavior, I would worry. If it's just a close together run on the same old thing, then I wouldn't worry too much.

:iagree: and PHEW! I'm glad that others are coming out of the woodwork to say they are also scatterbrained, I was beginning to think I was the only one. I've never lost a job, but the rest... all the time!

Julie, aaah to be 30 again, if thats ancient,, phew that puts me in the old folks home.

It was a little tongue in cheek. I know I'm not going to wake up break my hip, need a walker and lose all my teeth.

What IS going to happen is going to be MUCH scarier (from my vantage point)...

:scared:

I will wake up and never be in my 20s again :svengo:

If this person has been tested for ADD , even though they were not diagnosed with it, I would guess that they probably do have some type of ADD and need to see another doctor. It does sound like some kind of memory problem, maybe caused by ADD,stress, lack of sleep, sinus issues ,drugs or alcohol, prescription medication,depression, or some other type of problem. But it may or may not have anything to do with character issues.