Menu

Planning for Tapestry with 8 children...

kayben

So...lol

I just went ahead and ordered the deal for yr 2 bundle in print. I need the physical pages to help me, the digital just seemed confusing for me. I bought all of the additional resources on CD. I may not use them right away, but wanted the option. I also bought the templates for the lapbooks but can't see myself using these right away.

Here is what I will have in the fall. They really fit well in to each listed category or I would try to put the rhetoric in to the dialectic, but she needs high school credit. Or the dialectic in the upper grammer, but he needs to do the work. He is extremely bright, and would love to do nothing!! lol

9th grade Rhetoric (she will def. be rhetoric, she is a voracious reader and thinker.. been doing Abeka in school, they are finishing up the 9th grade year for her 8th grade. She is asking for a rigorous program. So we will start here and lay off a bit if it is too much) She wants to earn the honors credits.

7th grade dialectic

4th grade upper grammer

K5 (early reader) and 2nd grader doing lower grammer

preK 4 will be doing basics like starfall.com and maybe the early ETC books, I also have the early Rod and Staff workbooks for her to mess with. Nothing formal. Lots of books.

Also causing trouble and chaos will be my 2 yr old ds and 8 month old dd (due to arrive in a couple of weeks;))

1. If we take it slow to start as I hear that year 2 is packed, can dd 9th still earn a full credit? Or will she have to complete the full year, thus pulling the rest along as that was the point of switching to Tapestry... keeping them all on the same page.

2. I would like to add in the least amount of additional LA, fine arts etc. I want to make the most of the program. I have FLL and for the olders is TOG enough? As far as basic Grammer and learning to read, I have been using MFW, but it gets a little boring and repetitive. Does FLL teach any of this.... Maybe queens Language workbooks?

3. My library has very few... like hardly any of the books that are not common (like usborne and typical trade books). Which few would you all recommend to purchase to get us started. It is not recommended to have them all... am I correct? How do you choose? Could anyone recommend like 3 per level for unit one that would get us started?

4. the reason that I am ordering now, is I would really like to get things semi organized and give myself time to familiarize myself with everything before the beginning of the school year. My main concern being the proper completion and use of the program for my High schooler as we begin.

5. I am excited. I am tired of looking around. I am determined to make this work, but want to go in to it all with the mindset of not trying to do it all. It is finding this place as we begin that may be difficult.

6. Would love to hear any and all advice that you may recommend to make this an easy transition.

7. I heard something about creating workbooks... does anyone find this helpful, or is it just as easy to copy the weeks work (depending on the choices of the work for the week) as you go along.

Sorry this is like a novel.. As I am beginning this with 5 children of school age at all levels and all learning levels, I am trying to wrap my head around it all! Thank you so much, especially if you made it this far in my post...lol:D

I'm all ears:bigear:

I have tried posting some on the forums of TOG and haven't had any responses yet. I know I have time. But I also know how fast time goes by... Especially with a new baby about to take up some time around here...;)

Edited by kayben

Great questions and I'm interested in hearing the answers. I can only help a little. I only do TOG with 3 kids. Impressed you can do anything with 8. :)

Beginning - I started out by minutely planning our first month. I had all the copies made, supplements ready, etc. Our daily and weekly schedules were planned to the half hour. It was beautiful. Of course, it needed a lot of tweaking but it helped to be hyper-ready for it. You'll find out what works for your family pretty soon and that will make it so much easier. Review the materials a lot before you start. The more famlliar you are with it the better.

Grammar - not enough in TOG imho. I use R&S along with it. We mainly do it orally so that we don't spend too much time. This may not be necessary for your 9th grader - we're not there yet. I'd guess though that if you have her do all the writing exercises and use those to check grammar you may be alright. Guessing here though. When you get your IG take a look at the exercises and see what you think.

As far as books, we buy multi-week and multi-unit books and any books that I just think we'll want. For the rest, I try to use the library. That said, clearly there were a hundred people doing the same thing b/c it was sometimes hard to get the books. If you can afford to buy all the books, I'd do it just to make life easier on yourself. With 8 kids, that would be a nice baby gift for you.

Good luck!

In my opinion, it would be easy for you to provide extra challenges for your oldest dc, while keeping the overall pace slow for the younger ones. One possible way might be for your oldest to select a certain theme that is of particular interest to her and to follow that throughout the course of your study. For example, she might be interested in medicine, animal husbandry, cartography, a particular region or country, etc. While she would participate with everyone else as you start a new section, she could quickly move on to follow through with her indepth studies while you were still working on the basics with the other children. By the end of the year, she would have a lengthy, multipart research project on her topic of interest, detailing that subject across a significant span of time.

Another option would be to have her just select any topic of interest as it presented itself in each section. So one week she might be interested in the jewler's art, and for the next section she might focus on initial contacts with non-Europeans.

Yet another possibility would be for you to assign her advanced work. Perhaps suggesting some of the following for each of the 4 units: overview of literature/authors, replication of a typical science experiment of the time and a related report, project focused on how the art and music of the period reflected mindset and/or events, etc. IMO, even older students enjoy doing some work that involves more of their senses so I would try to include some options that necessitated listening skills, tactile efforts, physical activities, etc. Learning some of the social dances of a period may not be all that academically challenging, for example, but could really cement some concepts if she was able to relate the style of dance to gender roles within that society and how those roles influenced government or daily life.

As an adult, I would love to have the time to be able to follow some of the more interesting rabbit trails I have discovered. I think it might help if you could present the extra work to her as a privilege rather than a chore. Something for the younger ones to aspire to be able to do when they reach her advanced years:D. With my PR background, I have learned that it's all about what you call it. Wouldn't you rather participate in Individualized Enrichment Studies than extra-work-because-you're-older?

Edited by hillfarm

I can give you a bit of help if you're needing it. Long time user of TOG.

I think it'd be best to start with thoroughly reading this document first...

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/de/beta/pdcs/SSG.pdf

Determine from there exactly which level students you will have, seeing where, if any you can combine levels (this saves you money).

From that, I can help with the book recs.

Here is a statement from the beginning of the workbook content for one week - hope it's ok with TOG that I post it...

Why should I do this extra work?

The extra work of taking Tapestry questions or assignments and creating a new style of workbook for your individual children is not highly recommended by Tapestry’s author, Marcia Somerville. She feels that it may be unnecessary, extra work for busy moms. Further, custom workbooks do not necessarily offer the best training to students—especially rhetoric students—who will not probably enjoy the luxury of custom-designed workbooks in either college or later life. She most often recommends that students use the questions from the Student Activity Pages as they are (either onscreen or printed out), and simply answer them on separate pieces of paper using a numbering system as many students do with printed textbooks.

That said, everyone is different! Some moms really like the clean look that their customized workbooks provide their students. Others feel that their students will be more easily made accountable via their loving labors of creating customized workbooks. Some moms do their record keeping via this method, and others really enjoy the creative process involved in creating custom workbooks for their kids. Marcia’s ultimate position is this: Tapestry is your curriculum. It was written to serve you. If it will serve you or your family to make customized workbooks or to rearrange questions or assignments on a page, have at it! But, please do not feel pressured to do so because others have chosen this route. Each family is different, and it is not necessary to craft individual workbooks in order to succeed with the Tapestry curriculum!

Edited by momee

I have 5 dc and am doing TOG with 3 so far. I think you are off to a good start. Here are some of my thoughts...

• Prepare yourself for the year as much as possible, I found preparing one unit at a time ahead worked well. I took time to make copeis, choose books, and pick out any extras we were going to do. Gather all suppies ect. and plan out what the younger children would do.
  • I purchase multi-year and multi-unit books first, then I choose literature for the older children and make sure I have them and if I need to read any over the summer.
  • I purchase spine books (SOTW, Streams of Civ, etc) to cover any weeks that I cannot get to the library.
  • I try to have a good library in my home (I pick up used books when I can) if I don't have a specific book -especially for the younger children- I fill in with what we have here.
  • I try to look at TOG in light of other programs, If I had chosen something else would we be doing so much this year? Year 2 is packed and we might not get it all in next year, but if I was doing WTM history, we would not cover so much in one year anyway. So if I cover 80% (I know there is a chart that tells you how much you need to cover to give full credit per year) of TOG over the course of 4 years I still think I will give my dd an excellent high school education.
  • One of the things that worked best for me was to plan a time for dh to take all the children out so I could prepare for the coming week. This gave me time to read notes and choose what questions we would discuss. I found being prepared for the week make everything go much smoother.

Give yourself time and a lot of grace your first year of TOG. You will need time to find a good rhythm and with a new baby there is always and adjustment.

We have taken this year off from doing TOG, and the children miss it. Use TOG as a tool, don't let it rule you and you will do great!

HTH

Edited by M&M
added content

I don't have 8 kids, and I don't have my kids do as much independent reading as TOG is designed for, but I can explain how I use TOG and it might be an approach that works for you.

My oldest is UG going into D (year 4 has too much content at the D level for her to be all D right now, but she will be for year 1), my 2nd dd is LG (she doesn't like history so I keep her at a lower level), and my 3rd dd is LG. I have my ds listen into what I read, but I don't read the lit to him or have him read it himself (as he can't read yet).

I read the LG or UG history aloud to everyone, then I have the oldest two read their Literature on their own, and I also assign additional reading for my oldest.

Also remember you don't have to start everything right off. When I started I only did the history for the first few weeks. Then I added mapping, then about 6 months later we started to add literature, fine arts and worldview. It would have been nice to hit the ground running, but I didn't have the time to just sit down and figure it out.

Heather

Wow. Just the thought of having 8 kids in the house is overwhelming to me, let alone schooling! :lol: I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll do my best to answer what *I* would and do do.

I also bought the templates for the lapbooks but can't see myself using these right away.

Yes, I would definitely hold off on these for a while. You might want to wait until you have a unit under your belt before attempting to add in more.

1. If we take it slow to start as I hear that year 2 is packed, can dd 9th still earn a full credit? Or will she have to complete the full year, thus pulling the rest along as that was the point of switching to Tapestry... keeping them all on the same page.

I don't see why full credit is not possible. I have not completed a rh level yet, but they seem to be quite full. Hopefully someone more 'in the know' can help you with that.

2. I would like to add in the least amount of additional LA, fine arts etc. I want to make the most of the program. I have FLL and for the olders is TOG enough? As far as basic Grammar and learning to read, I have been using MFW, but it gets a little boring and repetitive. Does FLL teach any of this.... Maybe queens Language workbooks?

TOG really does not include any grammar instruction. There are writing assignments, and writing instruction in Writing Aids, but not much in the way of grammar. You'll want a grammar program for your 7th, 4th and 2nd graders to be sure. Your 9th grader may have already had enough grammar with Abeka, or you may want her to complete a season of Analytical Grammar or the like to keep things fresh. It really depends on her and her needs in that subject. TOG does contain vocab, so you can utilize their vocab. I found it easier to just add in a vocab workbook myself...my ds liked Vocab-u-Lit. It only took him about 10-15 minutes a day at most.

3. My library has very few... like hardly any of the books that are not common (like usborne and typical trade books). Which few would you all recommend to purchase to get us started. It is not recommended to have them all... am I correct? How do you choose? Could anyone recommend like 3 per level for unit one that would get us started?

You'll definitely want to buy some of your primary history books. You'll see when you get your plan that some are used for many weeks. Here is a look at Unit 1, Y2:

For LG you'll want to purchase The Usborne Internet-Linked Medieval World by Jane Bingham. Personally I would keep LG simple and stick to the Core history books (1st row on each page 4) The Church History/Worldview books for LG are varied. I personally would combine them with your UG student and read to them from the UG text Trial and Triumph. As for your lit books there are quite a lot. I would search my library's online site first and foremost, I would also look at paperbackswap.com, and then buy the books I could not find.

For UG you will need to buy:

The Story of the Middle Ages by Samuel B. Harding

The Middle Ages by Mary Quigley

Trial and Triumph by Richard Hannula

Again, your Lit will be varied and you'll need to decide how best to acquire it.

For D you will need to buy:

The Story of Europe by H.E. Marshall

Our Island Story by H.E. Marshall

The Church in History by B.K Kuiper

Lit, again, varied.

For Rh you will need:

The Middle Ages: An Illustrated History by Barbara A. Hanawalt

Faith in the Byzantine World by Mary B. Cunningham

Life in Medieval Times by Marjorie Rowling

Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley

Story of Philosophy by Brian Magee

plus varies Lit, and Government resources.

It will help greatly when you have your Y2 in-hand. You can then decide best on where you want to go with it. If you want to read the suggested Read-Aloud, how you can possibly combine, etc.

Some will recommend you just use SOTW 2 with your youngers (LG & UG) but I think that takes away from what makes TOG so wonderful....the fabulous variety of books! Not that SOTW isn't a great resource, but, well, why bother with TOG then? :confused: You'll also want to pick just one Art/Activity book. I would shoot for one in the middle, UG level, and combine them all. Personally we don't use these resources; my ds does not like crafts. The only book I have purchased was the Leonardo Di Vinci one in Unit 2 which my ds thoroughly enjoyed reading.

7. I heard something about creating workbooks... does anyone find this helpful, or is it just as easy to copy the weeks work (depending on the choices of the work for the week) as you go along.

Some do this. I do not. I like the ability to change whenever I want, and with a completed "workbook" I would not feel the freedom to do that. What *I* do is I have a yellow file folder for each week/each student. Into that file folder I will place a copy of that weeks questions, map and mapping assignment, Lit worksheet, etc. Then at the beginning of the week I hand my ds his file folder and he completes what is in it by weeks end. I keep it VERY simple. Very. I now type out my own questions, but when I first began using TOG I would just highlight what questions I wanted him to answer for me from the TOG Accountability and Discussion questions. Some children can and do answer each and every TOG history question, but I personally think it's too much. History should not take the majority of his school time. So I pick and choose the questions I think would best suit.

LG and UG do not have History questions like D and Rh levels. So their file folders would be pretty easy to throw together. ;)

For your D and Rh level students you could also copy the page 4 Reading Assignment pages, highlight what you want done, and place it into the file folder....that way they would exactly what reading was required of them.

Well, speaking of novels...I've written one too! Sorry. Hope I was able to help a bit. I know TOG seems confusing at first, but it's truly not. :D

1 in R, 1 in D, and 2 in UG.

I'm a hyper-planner and wrote lesson plans into Homeschool Tracker. Over the summer, I went through each subject on the 3 different levels. I read reviews of them and decided if they would work with our family. I also researched the supplemental books and ordered and scheduled any that I thought would fit our family well.

I ordered the books. I'm just not up to running to the library weekly and hoping to find the right books. Also, eventually, the younger ones will be using the older kids' books, so I'll get a bit of mileage out of the books I purchase.

I found the LG books to be very easy to substitute for using library books. You might need to ILL the books to get ones you need, but the reading load is not high in LG and so if the books come a week early or a week late, it's not a big deal. Also, the LG kids will have an opportunity to hear history in order at least one more time, so if they have to skip around a bit, not big deal.

As far as your question about spreading TOG out over more than a year and still giving credit for the work, yes, I believe you can. There is SO much in a TOG week. If your oldest did more of the in-depth history or added some supplemental literature and if your oldest did the writing assignments and discussing, I would have NO trouble calling it a year of high school, especially 9th grade, history and literature.

I think that with your older ones, you need to really have them become independent learners. You might want to start them in TOG a week or two before you add in the little ones and then just pare down what the little ones cover in those missed weeks. You can definitely teach the older ones have to use the manual and how to plan their own work. They benefit from the experience and it reduces your workload.

The biggest thing you would need to do before they start planning for themselves is to decide what YOU think they need to do out of all of the options listed and you need to make sure they can readily access the books (by buying them or having them reserved at the library).

Good luck to you!

We have an 11th grader that works pretty much independently and then are using TOG with 9th, 8th, 6th, 3rd and 1st with a soon to be 5 yo tagging along. I like having the print version too. I am the type of person that needs to hold the book in my hand.:)

For grammar we use R&S and enjoy it. We do not use the writing part of R&S nor TOG's Writing Aids and instead use the IEW themed based programs.

My best advice is to start slowly and add more in as you go. You don't have to do everything listed in the guide. Pick and choose what you want to cover. As you get into a routine add in more if you wish.

I don't us workbooks right now but I do think I will for next year. I can see how it would make life much easier for everyone. Here is a wonderful blog post on how to make them: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/karenciavo/TOG%2BWorkbooks/

So...lol

I just went ahead and ordered the deal for yr 2 bundle in print. I need the physical pages to help me, the digital just seemed confusing for me. I bought all of the additional resources on CD. I may not use them right away, but wanted the option. I also bought the templates for the lapbooks but can't see myself using these right away.

Here is what I will have in the fall. They really fit well in to each listed category or I would try to put the rhetoric in to the dialectic, but she needs high school credit. Or the dialectic in the upper grammer, but he needs to do the work. He is extremely bright, and would love to do nothing!! lol

9th grade Rhetoric (she will def. be rhetoric, she is a voracious reader and thinker.. been doing Abeka in school, they are finishing up the 9th grade year for her 8th grade. She is asking for a rigorous program. So we will start here and lay off a bit if it is too much) She wants to earn the honors credits.

7th grade dialectic

4th grade upper grammer

K5 (early reader) and 2nd grader doing lower grammer

preK 4 will be doing basics like starfall.com and maybe the early ETC books, I also have the early Rod and Staff workbooks for her to mess with. Nothing formal. Lots of books.

Also causing trouble and chaos will be my 2 yr old ds and 8 month old dd (due to arrive in a couple of weeks;))

2. I would like to add in the least amount of additional LA, fine arts etc. I want to make the most of the program. I have FLL and for the olders is TOG enough? As far as basic Grammer and learning to read, I have been using MFW, but it gets a little boring and repetitive. Does FLL teach any of this.... Maybe queens Language workbooks?

4. the reason that I am ordering now, is I would really like to get things semi organized and give myself time to familiarize myself with everything before the beginning of the school year. My main concern being the proper completion and use of the program for my High schooler as we begin.

5. I am excited. I am tired of looking around. I am determined to make this work, but want to go in to it all with the mindset of not trying to do it all. It is finding this place as we begin that may be difficult.

6. Would love to hear any and all advice that you may recommend to make this an easy transition.

Sorry this is like a novel.. As I am beginning this with 5 children of school age at all levels and all learning levels, I am trying to wrap my head around it all! Thank you so much, especially if you made it this far in my post...lol:D

I have tried posting some on the forums of TOG and haven't had any responses yet. I know I have time. But I also know how fast time goes by... Especially with a new baby about to take up some time around here...;)

Edited by Quiver0f10

Oh my, I went to a OB check up and had some blood work... put the kids down for a nap and finished up school with the kids, and came here to see if anyone happened to reply! Wow! You are all wonderful to take the time to really help me. Not just a standard take it slow:) Which is great advice... But real help. Believe me, I need it..lol

I appreciate every one of your responses. I am going to print the thread and read through it all several times. I am so excited for the package to arrive, just so that I can begin to get a feel for it all. I did print out the sample of yr 1, but obviously having the right year will make things easier for planning!

I continue to relish any advice and look forward to all of your help. Thank you so much!!

We have been doing R&S english. I do like it, but I think I am going to use it more orally for awhile and see if the kids find it more enjoyable..

Rebecca

I can give you a bit of help if you're needing it. Long time user of TOG.

I think it'd be best to start with thoroughly reading this document first...

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/de/beta/pdcs/SSG.pdf

Determine from there exactly which level students you will have, seeing where, if any you can combine levels (this saves you money).

Thank you, I have read this over and over;) I really believe that the kids belong in the levels I have listed above. I could drop my rhetoric 9th grader to dialectic, I suppose. I would like to do this for ease and cost, however, I believe she is capable of the Rhetoric level work. Also, would she receive the same HS credit using the Dialectic level. I assume that that is my call as far as creating my own transcripts and keeping track of hours and depth of work? However, I could be totally off base there. What do you think? Everyone else really can't be combined. Although, I would imagine they could after I get a feel for the program and adjust up and down for workload. I am not a great tweaker...:001_unsure: I think as far as compatablity and ability, the 4th and 7th grader are best at working together. Maybe Upper grammer if I was to combine them. I just want to make sure my 7th grader is working up to his capabilities. He is a lazy one...

Thanks again for your input! I need it..

Rebecca

Over the years, how we do TOG has varied, but I can share some tried and true steps to our success. Having a large family, too, planning ahead is what saves me from weekly chaos and since you have a great deal of time to prepare, here goes!

1. Although I won't start Rhetoric until next year, I hear the Literature is HUGE, so really work towards that!

2. As for book purchase, I'd encourage the spines, particularly for D and R, as the questions will come from these sources. I have found all of these used and saved a great deal of money.

The literature selections are wonderful, so I'd find a way to buy or borrow those.

Finally, decide about church history. You use the same resources there most of the time, so buying those would make life a little easier.

3. As for the WB, to each his own. I prefer to use a 3-ring binder and allow for them to fill it up. I do print in advance though, so I'll tell you about my methods and hope you find them useful.

1. Place each TOG week in a labeled file folder and store (black box, file cabinet, desk file drawer)

2. For each week, I pre-print copies of the following for all children as necessary, the highlighting I do weekly based on course of study and student interest:

i. Maps (2 copies each child) one for completion, one to stick in a sleeve for study as they practice with dry erase markers.

ii. Student Assignment pages, I then highlight their assigned work

iii. Literature Worksheets

iii. Reading Assignment pages. I highlight their assignments and they use this as a checklist.

iv. Writing pages with assignments highlighted

v. For UG and up, the overview page that includes their timeline, famous people, and vocabulary assignments.

Each week we gather and I read aloud the General Information. I then hand them their packets and they head off to schedule assignments on their planners. They decide when and what to read, but they have pre-designed deadlines to meet. Our cycle is to complete 2-TOG weeks in 3-weeks time. You can view the daily layout here. Sorry it's not as pretty on my blog than in person. I haven't taken the time to edit.

I have a weekly schedule that we followed in lighter years here

If you'd like any of this in MS Word, just email me and I'll send it over.

You're also welcome to the vocabulary lists I already have typed out. I can email those and any other created helps I have on file, as we finished up year 2 recently.

For the most part, I meet with D and older for a few minutes, just to remind them of pending deadlines and to refresh their minds with daily assignments. So long as they get their work in on time, I don't care if they follow my schedule per day, kwim?

Some very complimentary websites to TOG, besides TOG's own site, are Quizlet.com and PurposeGames.com Both offer tools that will assist in memorization of maps, vocabulary and anything else you place on there. There are a few TOG groups on Quizlet already, so much of your vocab. planning may be complete.

There are also Yahoo Groups. Take the time to look at the files sections. I have saved myself plenty of planning by using the materials.

FWIW, TOG was the best switch I made, as far as managing so many children and all the other things we do. It really helps to have the layout for the entire gang in one spot. Makes for easy planning and great discussions.

So...lol

I

1. If we take it slow to start as I hear that year 2 is packed, can dd 9th still earn a full credit? Or will she have to complete the full year, thus pulling the rest along as that was the point of switching to Tapestry... keeping them all on the same page. I'd say yes. There is great info on TOG for high school credits. Sorry I can't find the link right now.

2. I would like to add in the least amount of additional LA, fine arts etc. I want to make the most of the program. I have FLL and for the olders is TOG enough? As far as basic Grammer and learning to read, I have been using MFW, but it gets a little boring and repetitive. Does FLL teach any of this.... Maybe queens Language workbooks? BOth of what you mentioned does teach those. I enjoy The Phonics Road for all of our language arts needs. It leads right into Latin, which works well for the student and teacher.

Great list given by another poster.

4. the reason that I am ordering now, is I would really like to get things semi organized and give myself time to familiarize myself with everything before the beginning of the school year. My main concern being the proper completion and use of the program for my High schooler as we begin. Great idea. My dearest friend tells me the Literature and GOv't take time, so starting now is a great idea.

5. I am excited. I am tired of looking around. I am determined to make this work, but want to go in to it all with the mindset of not trying to do it all. It is finding this place as we begin that may be difficult. Start with Reading and Maps. Work in vocab, famous people, and timelines. Add one part per week for the littles. Since you'll be planning so far ahead, you'll just have to get the dc used to what comes. Checklists are wonderful! I have some of those too if you'd like. Email me.

6. Would love to hear any and all advice that you may recommend to make this an easy transition. See other post.

7. I heard something about creating workbooks... does anyone find this helpful, or is it just as easy to copy the weeks work (depending on the choices of the work for the week) as you go along. See other post.

I know just what you mean! There is so much to TOG. If you can get past the initial, figuring it out, it's wonderful. Of course, with 8dc, you'll be perpetually tweeking! Having a large family means constantly changing dynamics...and I love it!

I just wanted to add, or remind you, that you do NOT have to do everything listed in a TOG week! You do NOT have to complete TOG's timeline/people work, vocab, or arts activities to use TOG effectively. We don't use any of those and still learn gobs. The reading assignments, D and Rh questions, Lit worksheets, and discussion is PLENTY all on it's own. (I would recommend the geography though;)) Again, start with the history basics, and add on as you desire.

Also, do not even LOOK at the Alternate/Extra Resources page (page 5). You do NOT need any of those books. No, not even one. Tell yourself that...seriously. The only time I would even consider looking there is if you need a different book choice than what is included in your Primary Resources page (page 4). Or, if for some unfathomable reason, TOG is just not enough for a student and you need more. I fell to temptation last year and regretted it. A few of the extra resource books looked good to me so I bought them. Every thing in them was redundant, and had already been covered in my ds's primary resources. I ended up selling them and losing money. It wasn't worth it. This year I have been wiser. ;) The only time I look at page 5 is when my ds has already read a Lit book scheduled and I need another to take it's place. Or if a history book that was only to be used for a couple of weeks was not available at my library. I would then check and see if an Alternate choice was available.

You've gotten a lot of great advice! Once you get your Y2, you'll make it work for you and yours. That may look entirely different from anyone else...and that's OK! :D

I just wanted to add, or remind you, that you do NOT have to do everything listed in a TOG week! You do NOT have to complete TOG's timeline/people work, vocab, or arts activities to use TOG effectively. We don't use any of those and still learn gobs. The reading assignments, D and Rh questions, Lit worksheets, and discussion is PLENTY all on it's own. (I would recommend the geography though;)) Again, start with the history basics, and add on as you desire.

Also, do not even LOOK at the Alternate/Extra Resources page (page 5). You do NOT need any of those books. No, not even one. Tell yourself that...seriously. The only time I would even consider looking there is if you need a different book choice than what is included in your Primary Resources page (page 4). Or, if for some unfathomable reason, TOG is just not enough for a student and you need more. I fell to temptation last year and regretted it. A few of the extra resource books looked good to me so I bought them. Every thing in them was redundant, and had already been covered in my ds's primary resources. I ended up selling them and losing money. It wasn't worth it. This year I have been wiser. ;) The only time I look at page 5 is when my ds has already read a Lit book scheduled and I need another to take it's place. Or if a history book that was only to be used for a couple of weeks was not available at my library. I would then check and see if an Alternate choice was available.

You've gotten a lot of great advice! Once you get your Y2, you'll make it work for you and yours. That may look entirely different from anyone else...and that's OK! :D

I will second this one. With TOG you have to say no to perfectly good stuff, or do what I do. Take twice as long so you have the time to do it right. (Of course we do have weeks that actually means we spend a month in a week.)

Heather

So my big, heavy box came today! I have company though, so I wont really be able to pour through it till Tuesday...

Thank you all so much!! I've printed this thread out and am going to read through it again tonight!!! I'm so excited...:D

Thanks, I just joined the group. I am going over unit one and thinking things through! (I just need to remember I still have half of this year to finish up..lol)

I am really looking forward to getting started and finding a routine with it that can last for years to come.

It's the book selections now that I need to concentrate on determining!

thank you all for your help ladies... I am going to work on all of this a little at a time. I should have plenty of time...;)

Rebecca

To answer your question you could definitely - and I would heartily recommend at the very least the first unit - begin your oldest in dialectic. Build the scheduling skills in where they make their own schedule.

Help them to take notes on the history stuff so that their thinking and accountability questions will not be a burden for them.

Shore up your writing level and be sure it's a good fit.

Get them used to doing TOG THEN when you're all ready, move to rhetoric if you think they can handle it.

There is a HUGE jump in the lit from d to r levels...HUGE