Menu

Cub Scout parents: Question about Blue and Gold

Ok Cub parents,

I'm in the middle of planning out Blue and Gold banquet which will be a luncheon this year.

I'm trying to figure out how to do things this year but I want to see how some other packs do it.

Do you have catered B&G banquets? If so, how many Cubs do you have in your pack? Do you do pot lucks? If you cater, do you charge for the B&G?

We have 60 boys in the pack currently and would like to have a catered event. If we cater, we'll have to charge for some of the per person amount. Maybe $3 a person with kids 5 and under free.

Would that keep you from coming?

My son joined cub scouts late, so we only experienced 2 Blue and Gold dinners before he moved on to Boy Scouts. Our B&G dinners were pot luck by den - so you only shared food with the families that went to the den your scout attended. I'm going to guess there were 10 different dens in our pack. All dens were together in one room though. One year it was a bring what you want pot luck. The next year it was more specific - hoagies, salads, chips theme and you were assigned something.

If I could get away with $3 a person and not have to worry about planning, fixing, bringing something, I would totally welcome that kind of event!

I've been at total potlucks, potlucks with responsibilities assigned (either each den is assigned a category or each den makes sure that each category is covered by at least one family), pack does main dish (like pulled pork) with everything else pot luck. I've heard of sit down dinners and banquets as informal as hotdogs.

None of these was right or wrong. They each more or less tried to meet the needs of the pack families and usually tried to correct what was found lacking in previous B&G and in turn created things to fix for next year. (Our last one led to a pact that we would never ever have balloons at B&G again.:001_smile:)

I probably wouldn't balk at $3 a ticket, although I prefer it if the scout is not charged and only adults and older siblings are. I generally have more money than time. But there are other families for whom paying would be an issue. I'd be more or less willing to pay if I didn't feel like we'd been asked for a lot of other money recently. I would also wonder about where fund raising $ was going if we'd just done a lot of popcorn sales. Not saying charging is bad, just posing questions.

On the other hand, you will never please every single family. And the less a family has put forth effort to help the pack, the more likely they are to complain. And what is good for one pack would never fly with some others.

Our pack has about as many boys in it as yours. From my understanding, potlucks ended up dragging on sooo long because everyone wanted to try everything -- the whole moving people through the line got long with that many kids and parents. They've wanted it to be catered, but the per person price ended up being prohibitive. So, it is "catered" by a local pizza place, lol! The kids actually eat, the clean up is easy, the price (especially these days) is just about right --$3 or so a person (I think the pack covers the scouts).

We're a family of 5; if it were more than $3 per person, it may not keep me from coming, but I'd be grumbly about it.:lol:

Ok Cub parents,

I'm in the middle of planning out Blue and Gold banquet which will be a luncheon this year.

I'm trying to figure out how to do things this year but I want to see how some other packs do it.

Do you have catered B&G banquets? If so, how many Cubs do you have in your pack? Do you do pot lucks? If you cater, do you charge for the B&G?

We have 60 boys in the pack currently and would like to have a catered event. If we cater, we'll have to charge for some of the per person amount. Maybe $3 a person with kids 5 and under free.

Would that keep you from coming?

We do potlucks. Pack leaders are usually responsible for a main dish, like pizza or pancakes(we do Christmas breakfast), hotdogs/hamburgers. Then we do like Tigers bring chips, Wolves bring drinks, etc. Usually works out and we do the cakes for Blue and Gold, so most people fill up on cake.

actually, my old one (we have since moved) ordered out for fried chicken, then each family brought a dish. We sat by dens so the den leaders coordinated the potluck part (to make sure we didn't have 10 deserts).

We had about 55 kids plus the family members. It worked quite well.