Menu

Mothersweets, and others who know about Type I Diabetes

I'm wondering about Hobbes. Normally he would drink a glass of orange juice at breakfast, a glass of water during school time, maybe a glass of milk mid-morning, a glass of water at lunch time, milk in the afternoon and water at supper time. He's forgetful though and a bit random, so there will be days that don't fit that pattern.

Not every day, but maybe a couple of times a week, he will have been reading avidly and will suddenly say, "I'm so thirsty." Or he will have been out at an activity (which might have been fairly vigorous) and I'll pick him up. He'll be desperate for water and will complain about waiting until we get home (about fifteen minutes). When that happens, I can never remember if he has actually skipped drinking in the previous few hours, and neither can he.

He has lots of energy (!) and has stayed on about the same weight/height lines all his life (he's on the small and slim side, and always has been).

Do you think I should get him checked out? I have always assumed that it is good that he recognises his body's need for water so well. I looked at the link in Mothersweets' siggy, and wasn't sure what I should do.

Thank you

Laura

You sound like me. I get worried about that sort of thing too. I think it sounds like he's not drinking enough water, actually. But I had my dd checked out for diabetes because she does have a sensitivity to sugar and a couple of years back it was pretty strong, she'd get stomach cramps and headaches after eating sugar... but I was reassured that her blood sugar was fine.

My brother is a chiropractor and he has his kids drinking many glasses of water a day. Any type of symptom- headache, tired, pain, hungry...have a glass of water. Its a good habit.

It's very easy to check blood sugar levels. I would take him in to the doctor, just to give you piece of mind. Other signs to look for, besides thrust, is lots of voiding. They will be going to the bathroom much more than normal.

With Fi, it was not just the need to nurse & drink water, it was also hunger... she ate and ate and was loosing weight. Peeing so much her diapers looked like balloons. Thrush rash on her face, etc. She started all this slowly at 12 months, and by the end of the month she was in DKA. All this because I did not, nor did her pediatrician recognized these symptoms for Type-1.

These are the classic signs...

Extreme fatigue

Frequent need to urinate

Continual thirst despite taking fluids

Severe hunger urges

Unexplained weight loss

But, keep in mind it can take a while to get to the crisis point once the process has begun. So, even if your son has only one symptom, and it lasts for more than a day or so. Then if it was me, I would check it out. Most likely, he is fine.

My 13 yo daughter was just diagnosed with Type 1 in October 2009.

It began with excessive thirst - 2-3 gallons a day of water. I knew this because we use a Brita filter pitcher. I would keep track of the amount of water each day so that I knew when to change the filter.

Frequent urination - We could not run errands without stopping on the way to the store, stopping at the restroom as soon as we got to the store, etc.

Extreme weight loss - She lost a LOT of weight before she was diagnosed. I wish I would have picked up on the two earlier signs much faster.

Her breath smelled sweet, like fruit. I remember having her go back and brush her teeth a second time, thinking that she did not do a proper job in the beginning.

She would eat more food than her father. She was ALWAYS hungry.

She would have bouts of headaches, stomach pains, etc. All related to having high blood sugar.

Your doctor will be able to do a quick blood test to see what your son's level is. Or, do you know anyone with a blood glucose meter? It just takes a prick and you could see what his fasting blood sugar is in the morning before he eats. Anything above 126 - see the doctor. I think that ADA has recently changed the numbers to reflect lower levels. It may be around 100. Our daughter was 476, and I have heard of numbers up into the 700's.

On a cautionary end note, if your child is vomiting, headaches, becomes listless, rush him to the emergency room.

Praying that there is not another child diagnosed with diabetes.

It's very easy to check blood sugar levels. Most likely, he is fine.

:iagree: My niece's teacher called her mother in concern because the girl kept leaving the ball field to get a drink of water. My sister obs for a couple of days, didn't see thirst, and then asked her daughter. Reason: I hate soccer, the girls kick me in the shins.

If she asked for water, she got off the field for a few moments.:)