Menu

AAS questions

Gwenny

After reading so many great reviews of AAS on this board, I think I'm ready to try it. I've read a few comments about how children breeze quickly through level one. Should I go ahead and get level 1 and 2 at the same time? I don't have a clue how my daughter's spelling compares to others, but I don't think she is a "natural speller." She can spell any word that is spelled like it sounds and knows when words aren't spelled correctly, so I think level 1 won't be hard. However, she doesn't know anything about open and closed syllables and all the rest of that so she needs level one. How long does it take most average 6yo spellers to complete? (Of course I realize this will vary greatly.)

Also, I have seen complaints that the program teaches only a small number of words. Is this because it teaches the rules and expects you to then apply them to other words?

Thanks,

Gwen

I LOVE AAS. I started it when my daughter was seven and a half. We started with Level One and finished it in about 2-3 months. She will probably finish Level Two almost exactly at her ninth birthday in April, and I definitely plan to get Level Three.

I don't think skipping the first book would be a good idea, at least not with a kid under ten or so.

If you are going to get AAS, definitely spring for the full-sized magnetic, dry-erase board. Some people say they use a cookie sheet, but I don't see how -- at least not for long.

I've never heard the complaint about teaching a small amount of words, and am surprised to hear it. There are roughly 23 lessons in each book, and each lesson has somewhere between about 15-30 words. That seems like plenty of words to me.

I have learned several spelling rules I never knew, and I have always been an avid reader and writer.

Jenny

I've never heard the complaint about teaching a small amount of words, and am surprised to hear it. There are roughly 23 lessons in each book, and each lesson has somewhere between about 15-30 words. That seems like plenty of words to me.

My complaint w/this was that although my dc didn't know all the spelling rules, they already knew how to spell most of the words in AAS levels 1-4. The words just weren't difficult enough. We switched to HTTS because it covers the same rules and includes more difficult words. And is a LOT cheaper.

After reading so many great reviews of AAS on this board, I think I'm ready to try it. I've read a few comments about how children breeze quickly through level one. Should I go ahead and get level 1 and 2 at the same time? I don't have a clue how my daughter's spelling compares to others, but I don't think she is a "natural speller." She can spell any word that is spelled like it sounds and knows when words aren't spelled correctly, so I think level 1 won't be hard. However, she doesn't know anything about open and closed syllables and all the rest of that so she needs level one. How long does it take most average 6yo spellers to complete? (Of course I realize this will vary greatly.)

Also, I have seen complaints that the program teaches only a small number of words. Is this because it teaches the rules and expects you to then apply them to other words?

Thanks,

Gwen

Gwen,

That is a hard call. In level 1 the child learns 32 (I think it is 32) phonograms, which include basic sounds but also additional sounds that most people don't have memorized: C can say /k/ or /s/, S can say /s/ or /z/, O can say short o, long o, oo (as in food) or /u/ (as in of). Then it also covers several rules, like when to use CK and when to use K. It teacher closed syllables, blends, that some vowels can be long when it is a one syllable word followed by two consonants (wont, find).

All this is reviewed in level 2, but it is covered it about one day. My questions would be, does your dd have the phonograms memorized and know the rules well enough to be able to cover them in a day and own them? Most kids have bits and pieces and it doesn't take long for them to pull it all together and own it, but it does take them longer than a day. The second option would be to buy level 2, but take longer on the review portions. That might work, but you (as the teacher) would need to feel you have a good grasp of the information.

If you have used an intense phonogram based program like SWR or WRTR then I would say start with level 2. Some of the rules would still be new, or at least they way they are stated made a lot more sense to me personally, but the review in level 2 would probably be enough.

Heather

Thanks,

Gwen

I'd bet she could get through Level 1 before the end of this school year. If you want to save on shipping, go ahead and order Level 2 now. There's always the money back guarantee if you end up not needing level 1 or if you decide the program isn't for you.

Merry :-)

We switched to HTTS because it covers the same rules and includes more difficult words. And is a LOT cheaper.

Whenever I see this How to Teach Spelling book mentioned, I'm interested but can't seem to find anything out about it. Plus, I love the "a LOT cheaper" part! Is it user friendly and still cover all the same rules? Do you need the workbooks, or can you work with just the main book? What I love about the AAS samples I've seen is that it appears to explain everything so clearly, something I really struggle with. Does it also teach the 72 or so phonograms?

Gwen

My daughter is on step 20 of Level 1, and in the fall I didn't do it every day (now I am). She just turned 7 and is in first grade and we started AAS in September. I just ordered level 2, and wished I'd saved myself the shipping and gotten both at once.

I've seriously considered going to WRTR or SWR, but the open & go approach of AAS is really nice. We do alot of writing on paper or whiteboard vs. using tiles, however, since my daughter despises them, and really they drive me a little nuts too; if they are on a white board that is hanging on the wall they tend to pop off REALLY easily if you hit the edge of them. I actually have her write the list of words for each step in a little notebook like SWR and WRTR (and she knows some of the WRTR methods, so she underlines phonograms even though I don't ask her to).

By the way, AAS does eventually cover all the words on the Extended Ayres list by level 5, just like WRTR (though SWR has added other words I think). The main difference is that the words are grouped by rule (not so in SWR/WRTR) so they have to start out easy it seems to me.

What I love about the AAS samples I've seen is that it appears to explain everything so clearly, something I really struggle with.

Gwen

This is what I love about AAS. It is so pick up and go. We just started with the program and we are only on Step 12 of Level 1, but I love it! What's even better is ds loves it! I think it has become his favorite subject. I did not even consider it in the beginning of the year because of the price. But I am so glad I looked into it again. I think it is well worth the money. To save on shipping I did buy both Level 1 and 2 when I ordered ours. I would also recommend the larger white board. It makes it much easier.

Definitely get both levels 1 & 2 (we actually got 1-4 to start). My second grader flew through the first level and is moving quickly through level 2... but I wouldn't suggest skipping it. She knew the spellings to most of the words already, but we focus more on the "WHY" than on the actual words and she never complains about how easy the words are. She enjoys learning the "secrets that good spellers know," as I put it, and has really been excited when a word she never spelled before shows up and she can decipher the correct spelling using her rules.

I'm doing AAS with a 6 year old first grade - she did all of Level 1 and Level 2 this school year. I love that AAS is in very manageable "bites"; she was not at any point overwhelmed or frustrated...she loved the variation of using the tiles, doing dictation, segmenting out the words, etc. With that young of a child, I definitely recommend you get Level 1 and 2.

This is our first year using AAS, but I *can* say this: I have 3 school-aged children, ages 13, 9, and 6, and after a year with AAS, my 6 year old can spell as well as her 9 year old brother. My 9 year old's spelling has improved *tremendously* this year. And my 13 year old, who is a very natural speller, learned a lot of the rules that she had never learned before.

Get both levels at once. Like several others have mentioned, this way you will save on shipping. I bought level 1 for my oldest in August. He finished it by Thanksgiving, and finished level 2 before Christmas, and will be starting level 3 tomorrow. I bought each level separately, and wish that I would have bought them all at the same time. I started ds 7 on level 1 yesterday he is already on step 6.

Whenever I see this How to Teach Spelling book mentioned, I'm interested but can't seem to find anything out about it. Plus, I love the "a LOT cheaper" part! Is it user friendly and still cover all the same rules? Do you need the workbooks, or can you work with just the main book? What I love about the AAS samples I've seen is that it appears to explain everything so clearly, something I really struggle with. Does it also teach the 72 or so phonograms?

Gwen

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/How+to+Teach+Spelling/002898/1263529427-1488803

I started HTTS with just the teacher's book, then got the workbook. I find it much easier to implement with the workbook. Just do the next thing, and sometimes consult the teacher's book for the appropriate topic. The workbooks have all the rules, etc. and it's been pretty clear so far.

My dd is 5.5. We will finish Level 1 tomorrow (yay!). It took us about 2.5 months. She knew how to spell most of the words already but I like that it gave her practice with some of the spelling rules (like when to use a double l,f, or s at the end of a word, when to use c or k, etc.). It also taught her how to segment the words, how to recognize the individual sounds in each word, which was very helpful for her. My advice would be to get it and go through it quickly, then move onto level 2. I have noticed that my dd is writing sooo much more now that she *knows* she knows how to spell. :001_smile: Spelling is one of her favorite subjects. I love AAS!

My complaint w/this was that although my dc didn't know all the spelling rules, they already knew how to spell most of the words in AAS levels 1-4. The words just weren't difficult enough. We switched to HTTS because it covers the same rules and includes more difficult words. And is a LOT cheaper.
:iagree:I use my HTTS guide for additional dictation, both words and sentences. I am also glad to have the workbook pages for easier spelling practice days.

Gwen

The rules in HTTS are much harder for my daughter to understand. They are stated in a more complicated matter. It is extremely difficult to use without the workbook, unless you start it with a much older student. I like the way AAS has index cards, but it isn't a biggie to write the rules and words from HTTS down on index cards.

The bottom line is that I am glad I have HTTS, but I already had it before buying AAS, and we were having trouble with it. At this point, I plan to buy AAS level 2 even though I already have HTTS level 2.

Having the rules simply stated clearly is important to me. We are currently using Phonics Pathways for spelling and it has all the rules stated throughout the book, but the wording is confusing for my daughter to understand. When I try to simplify it, I fail. I think she just memorizes the word, rather than internalizing the rule for it. I want her to really know and understand the rules so she can then apply them to unknown words.

Gwen