Menu

Teachers' Lounge!

What? You mean your kids don't understand you? Mine do everything I say. . . In my own little perfect world, between my ears. :D

I'm not sure I even know, or care, what 'on time' means anymore. I just figure by the time it's 3pm, some days 3:30pm, school is DONE for the day and we'll just pick up where we left off tomorrow!:tongue_smilie:

I'm sitting in the observation lounge at the stables where dd takes her riding lessons. Gotta love indoor arenas! I have two stable kitties curled up next to me, sleeping, and dd is trotting around the arena on her favorite horse.

Earlier today, I took a typing test for a job I applied for. The requirement is 35 wpm. I did 70. :D Think they'll call me? LOL

Sola, you might be overqualified for that job! :lol:

I don't even care. It's a place where I want my foot in the door. I've not worked for 13 years, so at this point, if I can find something in the PLACE I want to work, I'll worry about moving up later. It's just a switchboard operator job at a hospital, but they have great benefits for even PT employees, including tuition reimbursement. And, it's evening hours, which works for me. So, if I can just wiggle in, I'll do almost anything clerical until I can move into something better.

Teachers Lounge is open for Wednesday Chatter! :^) What's everyone up to today? We had video lessons today because ... well, because it was needed. Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock. Mathtacular for my ds5. And, after I'm done with MY lunch, then we will read some history (SOTW I).

Yesterday we made pyramids. Ds5's pyramid was a bit flat in the bricks so I decided it was the pyramid of Flatshepsut and ds11 stated that hers was the pyramid of Shortsepsut, because hers was so short. :D

They also made clay tablets (with Crayola air-drying modeling clay) and wrote their names in Cuneiform. They both LOVED it!

So far today we have hit a used book store and 2 teacher supply stores. THen dashed home for our final interview for the research project we have been in for 3 years. Amazing how fast the time went on that one. Now just packing what we need for little dd's first swimming lesson this evening and Hunter's beaver activity(sledding which he is terrified of). Then out the door we go again to go grocery shopping, add money to my cc, and other errands to finish before swimming.

The kids are happy to think they are missing school, but have been having fun exploring the new nature blocks and marbles I bought(with bugs, scorpions and seeds encased in them) and reading the new physics books I bought.

I bought the coolest thing today it is called foamfetti. It is an air drying modelling compound that is uber cool. We will likely play with it tomorrow. Which reminds me of yesterday's project. Yesterday the kids worked on ds11's leather stamping kit and my dd had the brilliant idea to die the leather off the cardboard I put out and my kitchen table now has a lovely red hue to 1/2 of it. Any ideas how to get leather die off the table?

Just got back from the pediatrician for ds (very bad cough and ear ache). She's put him on antibiotics for a bad ear infection in one ear. She told me - "Do not make him do too much school. With an ear that looks like that, he must be feeling very badly!" I'm making him do a half day - 3 subjects. He's not complaining so I don't think I'm abusing him too much.

I'm getting tired of the half days of school lately due to ill health. I don't think we'll get a summer vacation again this year. . .

We were at the dentist again today. The kids got these little blue elastics in their teeth in preparation for the spacers they are getting in 2 weeks. We go back next week for the impressions to be done then the spacers the following week. We have been there so much this last month thank goodness the kids medical plan covers it.

We also gave our guinea pigs away to another homeschooling family today. We would not be able to bring them on the move so I am glad they are with a family eager to care for them and play with them etc. Now it is quiet time and I am snacking on chips and coke (so much for planning a diet), checking in here. Oh there is the doorbell!

Back...It was my timberdoodle order, I bought the stop animation kit woo hoo. We have gotten a parcel everyday this week, I love when I order school stuff. Monday was my Waldorf order- modeling beeswax and some new felting needles because I managed to lose my old ones, Tuesday was from a homeschool curric supplier here in Alberta, nothing very exciting there, the next levels of math, spelling and hand-on standards math I wanted, plus a few other books. Still waiting on Rainbow resource, Home science tools, wintergreen(like lakeshore learning for Canadians), Education station and scholar's choice(both teacher supply stores here in Canada). Oh yes and amazon. I can't order from Sonlight till after we move, I will be using the new catalogue as my reading material for the drive.