Menu

DD has an infected hangnail...

I'd try some soaks in sea salt + warm water. That was always my go-to for irritated/infected piercings years back [don't have them anymore] and it usually worked quite well.

* I'm no doc though, it's just a suggestion ~ if there's a possibility of serious infection/etc, you may need to have it looked at by someone who knows his badly infected fingers.

Thanks, ladies. By the time dd went to bed last night, her finger was pretty swollen. She's a little worried because the last time we went to Indiana to visit dh's relatives, we had to take his aunt to the hospital for 2 days of IV antibiotics because she got blood poisoning from an infected hangnail. Who would've thought a hangnail could cause so much trouble? We will try a saltwater soak today and I'll dh look for some tea tree oil.

I'd try some soaks in sea salt + warm water. That was always my go-to for irritated/infected piercings years back [don't have them anymore] and it usually worked quite well.

* I'm no doc though, it's just a suggestion ~ if there's a possibility of serious infection/etc, you may need to have it looked at by someone who knows his badly infected fingers.

Put a little bit of tea tree oil on it. Mine get infected all the time. No big deal.

We've done the two steps above and it has worked well.

Mariann

I had an infected hangnail on my big toe this summer (I learned never to pull at one no matter how tempting!). When it hurt so badly that I thought I might need to go to the urgent care, I called my doctor and his over-the-phone treatment plan worked. It was basically to soak my foot in hot water several times a day. Within a day or two, it was clear that this was going to work as the pain was much less severe.

Thanks, everyone. She put neosporin on it last night, and she has soaked it in hot water today. It's less swollen and doesn't hurt as much. I can't convince her to put salt in the water, and since she's 16, I'm not going to force the issue. I would if it were getting worse instead of better, but since it's getting better, it's not worth the argument.