Menu

Help ! My 3rd grader has problems with memorizing the Time Tables

StillStanding

:confused: Hello Ladies,

I have been reading your posts, Highschool post too, for a while now. I don’t check very often but when I do I am always amazed on how much there is still to learn from other homeschoolers!

I have three children and this is our 6th year home schooling. I have a daughter in the 7th grade, another in the 3rd and a son in 1st grade.

My 3rd grader is having a very hard time memorizing the multiplication tables. Her older sister didn’t have any problems but although I have tried different things I am a little desperate for advice.

We have “jumped†the time tables over and over, use Wrap-Ups over and over, Chanted them….and written them down several times. We started at the beginning of the year and she has no problem understanding the concept of multiplication (we spent a while making piles with legos). She know how to apply multiplication to word problems, it is the memorization part that seems to elude her (no problems with x1/ x2/x3/x5/x10 and x11). She is having problems with x6/ x7/ x8/ x9. When she Jumps them or does the wrap-ups she seems to know the answers (she only needs to choose from the options- recognition), but when she needs to come up with it out of her own head, it is just blank--recollection).

If anybody has advice for me please, please let me know what worked for your children. Thank you, Monica

Can she skip count by those amounts? Ds is only 6 but I am having him learn skip counting by 1 through 12 so when it comes time for multiplication and division, the sequences are familiar to him. The 1, 2, 5, 10 and 11 are the easy ones. The others are a bit more of a challenge, but they can be learned too. If she can't skip count, I would back up and master that first and then head back to the times tables.

:confused: Hello Ladies,

My 3rd grader is having a very hard time memorizing the multiplication tables. Her older sister didn’t have any problems but although I have tried different things I am a little desperate for advice.

We have “jumped†the time tables over and over, use Wrap-Ups over and over, Chanted them….and written them down several times. We started at the beginning of the year and she has no problem understanding the concept of multiplication (we spent a while making piles with legos). She know how to apply multiplication to word problems, it is the memorization part that seems to elude her (no problems with x1/ x2/x3/x5/x10 and x11). She is having problems with x6/ x7/ x8/ x9. When she Jumps them or does the wrap-ups she seems to know the answers (she only needs to choose from the options- recognition), but when she needs to come up with it out of her own head, it is just blank--recollection).

If anybody has advice for me please, please let me know what worked for your children. Thank you, Monica

We are going thro' the same with my 7 yr old twins. My girls hated multiplication.

Whenever we are in the car I make them recite the tables one by one & allow the other to help when one gets stuck.

When they forget a particular times (say 7x8), I ask them what is 7x5, 7x6, 7x7, 7x8 . They add mentally & give the answers.

But what really worked was a cheat sheet with 6x6 .. 6x9, 7x6..7x9, 8x6..8x9, 9x6..9x9. I put up the list upright so they can easily see it. Gave them lots of double-digit x single-digit muliplication problem everyday & in a week they were not looking up at the list.

But we are still doing the recitation everyday.

I had dd10 fill in a 0 -12 multiplication chart and now she has to use it whenever she can't remember her times tables for completing a problem. I no longer offer answers to "What's _x_ ". She has to find her table and look them up or remember them. It's helped to make it her responsibility and I no longer feel like we are stuck on multiplication.

If you think your child might be a visual-spatial learner, maybe try something like this: http://www.multiplication.com/order.htm The Upside-Down Brilliance website recommended those books. They have some really different pneumonic devices to help remember multiplication facts.

Also maybe help your child how to quickly figure out the facts she doesn't know based on the facts she does know. i.e. 7 x 10= 70 (most find tens easy) 7 x 9= 70-7 =63

Well #1, have you tested for her learning style? Chanting, etc. won't help if she's a visual learner. My dd can chant till she's blue in the face and still not know it the next minute. When I finally realized she was a visual learner, I tossed our auditory spelling, auditory approach to math, auditory everything, and went to lots of visual input. With math for a visual learner, give them a multiplication table! My dd can do things with one that blow my mind. She crunches all sorts of weird stuff using it, numbers not even on it (like 18X36). So clearly the visual patterns stick and are working for her. Got her a flashmaster, and that has been good too. But again, it's more visual input. And I went to a math program with lots of color on the page. I use a whiteboard with colored markers for our math work. So definitely test for her best learning style and use it for practicing. http://www.educate.com has the free online assessment I used.