Menu

derivatives of Norris

If you were to name a child after a family member named "Norris," but didn't like that name, what name would you use? Male and female names welcome, and it can be something that you might only want to use as a middle name. Heck, it can be something you personally wouldn't use at ALL, I just need ideas. I tend to like more usual names, definitely nothing common. There is no bun baking, but I would love to have this issue decided upon, as I have thought about it for quite some time, with no resolution in sight. :glare:

Edited by RaeAnne

If you were to name a child after a family member named "Norris," but didn't like that name, what name would you use? Male and female names welcome, and it can be something that you might only want to use as a middle name. Heck, it can be something you personally wouldn't use at ALL, I just need ideas. There is no bun baking, but I would love to have this issue decided upon, as I have thought about it for quite some time, with no resolution in sight. :glare:

If you named a child Norris you could use Nora or Nori.

If you named a child Norris you could use Nora or Nori.

Nora is a shortened form of Eleanora. Norman is a a variation of Norris. Norman being Old German and Norris being Old French. Both mean "northerner." I can't find any other boy names that mean the same thing. But I did find some names that mean "north" and I might consider naming a baby.

Brendan

Fargo

Hadrian

I think I'd actually name a boy Fargo.

Well, my grandmother was named for her mother's maiden name, which was Morris--her name was Carrie (which she never used) Morrisine.

Now, I can't personally imagine calling a child Morrisine myself, or Norrisine, but you asked for suggestions! :D

What about Nerisa? That has the same kind of sound, and isn't particularly weird...

I'd go with "Norey" or a girl:-) Or stick with Norris for a boy.. Can you not do it for a middle name? It actually sounds cool... Braeden Norris... whatever... Or... Norris... and then a middle name that they go by. Depends on "Why" you're suppose to use Norris... I actually prefer it over Norman or whatever was suggested..

Norrie is kinda cute. Norrae:-) hmmmm....

:-)

I'd go with "Norey" or a girl:-) Or stick with Norris for a boy.. Can you not do it for a middle name? It actually sounds cool... Braeden Norris... whatever... Or... Norris... and then a middle name that they go by. Depends on "Why" you're suppose to use Norris... I actually prefer it over Norman or whatever was suggested..

Norrie is kinda cute. Norrae:-) hmmmm....

:-)

I want to name #2 after my grandfather (#1 had her name picked out YEARS ago, otherwise it would have been her with the name). I just don't like the name Norris. It sounds like the name of a, well, grandfather. :D I like unique names that are unique because they were NEVER popular, not just old fashioned ones that are considered unique because they are no longer popular (yet...). Norris, Norman, and Noreen all fall under that category, in my mind. Norrae is interesting! I don't like Nori, because I think of seaweed. I had thought about Norrissa, but it reminds me of Clarrissa, which is bleh.

Edited by RaeAnne

I want to name #2 after my grandfather (#1 had her name picked out YEARS ago, otherwise it would have been her with the name). I just don't like the name Norris. It sounds like the name of a, well, grandfather. :D I like unique names that are unique because they were NEVER popular, not just old fashioned ones that are considered unique because they are no longer popular (yet...). Norris, Norman, and Noreen all fall unider that category, in my mind. Norrae is interesting! I don't like Nori, because I think of seaweed. I had thought about Norrissa, but it reminds me of Clarrissa, which is bleh.

Is the new baby a girl?

Norrissa - same as Nora which is English for honor Leonora also falls in that meaning

Neris or Nerys - Welsh for noblewoman

Doris - Greek place name

Dorinda - a Greek or Spanish of Nora

Loris - is a derivitave or a derivative for Laura which is Latin for a bay or laural plant.

I thought about Nureus, but it sounds like... not sure. But I like that it's very unique.

See, to me, that sounds like it could be a word from some weird sci-fi show for a food replacement, or something. ;) I think it's going to be a challenge to get a different name out of Norris without getting too strange. But I like really traditional names--and I like the name Norris as it stands!:D

See, to me, that sounds like it could be a word from some weird sci-fi show for a food replacement, or something. ;) I think it's going to be a challenge to get a different name out of Norris without getting too strange. But I like really traditional names--and I like the name Norris as it stands!:D

To me that sounds like multiple people asking for someone with nursing skills.

I guess it's a Greek god. ;) It's pronounced NER-ee-us, I think. But whatever. And everyone has a different idea of what constitutes weird, that's the thing. My dd's name is Soren, with a slashed o, and that was over the top to my family. *shrug*