Menu

(Fluff)Prettyprettyprettypretty

For those who do nature studies, what bird is that?

That's what I hear right now: prettyprettyprettypretty (I swear that's what it sounds like and in groups of 4) and a mild echo or thump right after each pretty.

I've also got a very loud and annoyed woodpecker who seems to be competeing for sound space with this bird.

It is right out my back door. What is it?

I was listening to the sounds that were linked and this sounds very similar but not quite... it's very much:

pretty(quietthump)pretty(quietthump)pretty(quietthump)pretty(quietthump)

there is no "ringing" or anything after the pretty's. It's just in a group of 4 then silence. And I know we get Bluejay's, I thought we got Cardinal's, but I'm not sure.

Do cardinals go as far south as Florida? I've never seen them outside the midwest. Never saw one in CA or TX.

We have a mated pair who frequent our bird feeder. They watch over each other as the one eats and drinks from our bird bath. One stays up high (in a tree or on a wire) while the other eats, and then they change positions. It is fun when we see the "babies" start coming to the feeder too. The immature males don't have the crest on their heads until about one year old.

That's funny. I always heard "birdie-birdie-birdie-birdie". We had cardinals all the way down in southeastern FL when I was a little girl. No idea if they make it that far down now that the winters are warmer. I remember staying over at my great-grandma's house and looking for cardinals because her favorite color was red, and blue jays because my favorite color was blue.

Barb

For those who do nature studies, what bird is that?

That's what I hear right now: prettyprettyprettypretty (I swear that's what it sounds like and in groups of 4) and a mild echo or thump right after each pretty.

I've also got a very loud and annoyed woodpecker who seems to be competeing for sound space with this bird.

It is right out my back door. What is it?

It's a cardinal for sure. And, you're in FL where I know they are quite common. Cardinals were my grandmother's favourite bird. She painted beautiful little houses for them and would plant little groves around her big yard for them.

*sigh* Funny how things pop up like that and get you all sentimental. :crying: