Menu

Fiction recommendations please!

I'm looking for recommendations for my 2010 fiction reading list and I'm hoping the hive will have some great ideas for me!

Some comments around my preferences...

I like historic fiction, sci-fi, fantasy and mysteries, and am a big fan of well-written young adult fantasy fiction.

I don't mind mild violence, but prefer nothing too explicit, and most definitely like to avoid anything that touches on crimes against children and/or s&xual abuse.

I enjoy books that make you think, but am not looking for anything that is too serious or contains depressing subject matter; I much prefer being uplifted.

Extra points are awarded for characters that are witty, and plot lines that involve some humour.

So with all of that said, does anyone have a brilliant suggestion to recommend? :D

You have good taste! The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams (the first book in a trilogy). Stay away from his book about a computer simulated world (I don't remember the name, but there is way too much about a seriel killer and inside his mind).

What are some of your favorites?

My Dad just gave me one and my DH has a suggestion as well. I will be back.

Book by Georgette Heyer. The past couple of years have seen a resurgence in interest in her and lots of her books are getting reprinted. She wrote tons of books, some historical fiction, some mysteries, mostly regency romance (think Jane Austen only not quite). Wonderful writing, great historical detail, funny subplots, great character development, witty dialogue, nothing explicit in terms of violence or sex, and the ending always leaves you smiling. But I am warning you, her books are easy to get addicted to!

Thank you all for the fabulous suggestions! All of the descriptions I've read so far have hit the mark perfectly! I've been on the library website and reserved copies of I, Claudius, The Sparrow, The Dragonbone Chair and The Squire's Tales. I'll be adding the others to my wishlist for the next round(s) of borrowing.

Carmen, to answer your question, some books I've really enjoyed include:

Septimus Heap series (I think these books are great for Harry Potter fans!)

His Dark Materials series (I believe there's some religious controversy around these)

Wise Child by Monica Furlong

Tai Pan by James Clavell (it's been years since I read this, but I have fond memories of enjoying it immensely!)

The Color of Magic (Disc World series) by Terry Prachett

Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman

Various titles by Elizabeth George

The Jeeves stories by P.G. Wodehouse

I just finished rereading A Wind in the Door and I love the way her books criss cross each other. Also that she has characters from the young adult novels show up in the adult--but I read an interview with her once where she said that she never set out to write a young adult novel--just wrote the story that needed telling.:lurk5: (No reason for that smile BTW other than that my 4yo insisted on it.) :)

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

I really loved the first three (I think?) books in this series, but couldn't even make it through the last one I attempted to read. And considering I rarely abandon a book, that's saying something for me! I have thought of picking the series up again to see if it's more palatable to me now.

Also, the s$x in this is pretty explicit, and there is horrible abuse inflicted on Jamie in one of the books. (I rather wish I'd never had those particular scenes imprinted on my brain.) Just pointing that out in case anyone else is considering these books for themselves, and is sensitive to this type of thing. :)

I really loved the first three (I think?) books in this series, but couldn't even make it through the last one I attempted to read. And considering I rarely abandon a book, that's saying something for me! I have thought of picking the series up again to see if it's more palatable to me now.

Also, the s$x in this is pretty explicit, and there is horrible abuse inflicted on Jamie in one of the books. (I rather wish I'd never had those particular scenes imprinted on my brain.) Just pointing that out in case anyone else is considering these books for themselves, and is sensitive to this type of thing. :)

Thanks for mentioning that Melanie! I have these on my list but I don't like that kind of stuff in books. S$x is fine if it's not to explicit, but abuse is something I can't handle well. Sounds like I should skip these.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Some comments around my preferences...

I like historic fiction, sci-fi, fantasy and mysteries, and am a big fan of well-written young adult fantasy fiction.

I don't mind mild violence, but prefer nothing too explicit, and most definitely like to avoid anything that touches on crimes against children and/or s&xual abuse.

I enjoy books that make you think, but am not looking for anything that is too serious or contains depressing subject matter; I much prefer being uplifted.

Extra points are awarded for characters that are witty, and plot lines that involve some humour.

So with all of that said, does anyone have a brilliant suggestion to recommend? :D

Connie Willis's books are pretty good. To Say Nothing of the Dog, and Bellweather, are pretty witty. Some of her books revolve around history, those are not humorous, but very good.

Have you ever read the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov? What about The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberly?

The City of Dreaming books was also one of my favorites last year.