Menu

Dyson has lost suction. Any thoughts?

I'll call Dyson customer service also, but I know the odds are really good you guys know more or as much as them. :)

I have a purple Animal 17 (whatever that means). I've had it almost a year and other than cleaning out the canister and squeezing my hand up to keep the little holes cleared, I haven't really serviced it in ways I'm sure it needs. I don't know what it needs. Can you tell me?

Thank you!

By the way, it's not lacking suction. It's just low like when the canister needs emptying.

Not sure what they'll tell you but when it happened to mine about 2 years ago, they told me "Sorry, I guess it's time to buy a new one"

They weren't any help at all.

I sure hope you end up getting some answers that were better than mine.

I ended up buying a bissel pet hair eraser that served me well, for the last 2 years and my dh just bought me an Oreck XL platinum for x-mas. I have allergies so the Oreck is really a huge benefit since it has the bags.

When that happens, I check all the little parts that come off. I usually find something stuck in there. There are three, I believe: The hose comes completely off. There is one on the right side and one on the left. When I discovered them it was like finding secret passages! LOL Let me know if you need better descriptions of where to find them.

I'll call Dyson customer service also, but I know the odds are really good you guys know more or as much as them. :)

I have a purple Animal 17 (whatever that means). I've had it almost a year and other than cleaning out the canister and squeezing my hand up to keep the little holes cleared, I haven't really serviced it in ways I'm sure it needs. I don't know what it needs. Can you tell me?

Thank you!

By the way, it's not lacking suction. It's just low like when the canister needs emptying.

Have you cleaned the filter? That was the problem when mine lost suction. I didn't even know there was a filter. Oops.

Have you cleaned the filter? That was the problem when mine lost suction. I didn't even know there was a filter. Oops.

I'd check the filter - it's supposed to be washed with cool water every 6 months. There may be a lot of small sand type dirt in there. It can also lose suction if any of the joints have been knocked off their seal. Even if there isn't anything stuck inside, if the seals aren't tight, the suction won't be very strong.

Ah! Filter! I'll find and check that and move all the little pieces, parts and hoses I can and clean them out. Thank you! Wash the filter with cold water? That seems weird. :)

It's likely there's something wedged in the hoses near the where the length of hose attaches to the machine down at the bottom. It's a u-shaped thingy that comes off. DH usually finds the socks or pencils that I've sucked up in there blocking the whole process. He's got a hanger he uses to thread up in there and pull stuff out. :D

Or the filter container might be not all the way attached. Push it down hard to make sure it all clicked in OK.

My dyson has lasted twice as long as any other vac. I've had in the past 17 years. It usually survives sock-sucking episodes with style.

It's likely there's something wedged in the hoses near the where the length of hose attaches to the machine down at the bottom. It's a u-shaped thingy that comes off. DH usually finds the socks or pencils that I've sucked up in there blocking the whole process. He's got a hanger he uses to thread up in there and pull stuff out. :D

Or the filter container might be not all the way attached. Push it down hard to make sure it all clicked in OK.

My dyson has lasted twice as long as any other vac. I've had in the past 17 years. It usually survives sock-sucking episodes with style.

That little U shaped piece is always the issue when mine loses suction. It typically is a crayon in mine:tongue_smilie: