Menu

Art portfolio prep?

LibraryLover

My son was accepted to many fine art schools: School of the Art Institute Chicago, Maryland Institute College of Art, School of the Museum of Fine Arts, etc.

The problem was: Money. Even though all the schools offered him "Presidential" level merit scholarships, it would still cost $40K/yr to attend. He ended up going to VCU School of Arts for one year (That cost us $30K out of state) but it did not fulfill him. He longs to go to SAIC or Cooper Union and is reapplying in hopes of getting more merit aid (or, in the case of Cooper, acceptance!) this year.

His mistake was not taking academics and the SAT seriously. Some of his peers received full in-state tuition, room and board at VCU because of academics/SAT scores/National merit status. VCU has highest rated art school among public universities. If money is an issue, I'd recommend this route (get the academic scholarships!).

My advice: merit scholarships based on art talent are not enough. Take academics and the SAT seriously.

It has been heartbreaking to tell my son that being accepted to a fine art school is not enough. He needs big merit scholarships.

Sandra

If possible, encourage her to boost her SATs ...the Honors dorm at VCU has private rooms w/private bathrooms! Honors housing is included in the nice scholarship packages my son's friends received.

My son, on the other hand, received $3000 per year from the School of Art for his portfolio. Period.

He would have gotten that, plus free instate tuition, Honors housing, and meal plan if he had had better SAT scores/grades.

SATs and grades won't matter to all art schools, but they do to some like MICA and RISD

... My advice for good financial aid packages (if you are middle class) is to have no house equity, be laid off or take a mim wage job for two years prior to applying, move to a state with low test scores and ace them, get straight A's, and do cancer research for your whole 4 years of home school high school. It's better if you can find a cure for a cancer, of course.

Or be a stellar athlete and let the school come to you.

:D (This is all tongue-in-cheek. Please do not be offended. Of course I don't want us to be laid off!)

Or better yet, have quadruplets all applying in the same year for maximum financial aid! Or, have your children marry young so that they can apply as independent students (perhaps we can set up a Well-Trained Mind Match Making service) or wait until they are 24!

Regards,

Kareni

Independant status is 24 years old, married, have dependants or having served in military (active or vet), I believe. All these seem to be indicators of the diff between a kid and a grownup (that would be a long debate, but it just jumps out at me.) These will just mean that the parents' income will not be considered when calculating your aid eligibility, I think. The EFC is the kicker for all. These rules are very tight because of the widespread abuse....aid consultant at UNC-CH told me. Still many colleges will give you info about how to gain in-state status, I have heard several parents say...sort of an open secret system?

Even if kid is essentially "divorced" from parents, and parents refuse to give any support at all, their incomes will still be included. Very hard to change that status under appeal. I tried for my nephews...one parent continued to claim them as tax deduction, whilst giving no support, in fact demanding support from them. Weird world.

There are a lot of tips and tricks on college admission out there and when I got exhausted from reading the forums, I started reading bound material, a few years ago. The best book, best tips, best down-to-earth advice, in my humble op, is The All-in-One College Guide by Marty Nemko. Not too long, not too short, and has the answers for parents and kids. Lots of other good ones, though. I heard the FAFSA got a lot easier last year, but it was a bear the year before, the only time we did it. I wish I could say that all the reading and research helped, and made me an expert....well, I'm an expert on just my three kids, and still am nervous. Good luck to you all.

Hi Sandra, my son is interested in film and I see that VCU has a film program. What kind of SAT/GPA scores do you need to get into the Honors Program and eligible for these types of scholarships?

Thanks,

Beth

If possible, encourage her to boost her SATs ...the Honors dorm at VCU has private rooms w/private bathrooms! Honors housing is included in the nice scholarship packages my son's friends received.

My son, on the other hand, received $3000 per year from the School of Art for his portfolio. Period.

He would have gotten that, plus free instate tuition, Honors housing, and meal plan if he had had better SAT scores/grades.

SATs and grades won't matter to all art schools, but they do to some like MICA and RISD

Here's a link to the VCU scholarship page. If you scroll about 1/2 way down, you'll see "typical GPA" and "typical SAT" data for presidential scholars.

Some schools give automatic scholarships based on National Merit status. (see this link http://excelcollegeprep.com/pdf/scholarships.pdf)

For these, once you're accepted to the school, you're entitled to the scholarship. For the University of Alabama, it's full tuition, room and board, + some money for books. Usually, it's third-tier schools that offer the most incentive.

HTH,

Sandra

Edited by Sandra in NC

• 1 month later...

I had good-but-not-good-enough-for-a-great-academic-scholarship grades and test scores. What I did was go to our local jr college for the first years of college. I saved so much money! And I lived at home. But not only this. The art department at our jr. college was terrific!! I got a extremely SOLID grounding in drawing and design and in art history. I then went on to graduate from a private Christian college. The program there was comparable with the jr. college one. At that time the department at the large/private had only small scholarships, but I got one. So I got the degree and college experience that I wanted at half the price.

Just an anecdote to suggest that you might look into your local jr. college. There are so many art graduates and not so many related jobs, I bet there are some good teachers/artists there.

I checked out the link for the statistics on those who received scholarships, and while the SAT's were what I had expected, I was shocked to see the GPA's. 4.37 to 4.67 !!! So this means that their schools are awarding grades higher than 4.0 - I'm guessing for honors courses or AP classes. Our school doesn't offer anything higher than 4.0 and any independent classes are listed on the transcript for credit, but scores aren't factored into the GPA. Most kids have a really hard time getting near a 4.0.

How did or are you awarding grades? Is anyone awarding 5's for A's in honors or AP classes? This was an eye opener ... :confused: Or have grades become so overinflated that they're meaningless?

My ds started going to the local state university here in Missouri as a premed student but when he took a drawing class in his freshman year for fun, he discovered his love for art and that he had the talent for it. Now a junior: he is preparing a portfolio with the intention of applying to the top art graduate schools. The art professors seem to be quite excited about him. But the odd thing is that two of the professors that recently started working there are from excellent art schools. One is from the Chicago Art Institute and the other is from the Columbia University. So, you never know what kind of professors might be teaching at the local schools unless you check there. His ACT score was pretty low, 22, so he wouldn't have qualified for any art school scholarships but attending the local school seems to have worked out for him. We just hope that the art professors will have prepared him well enough to qualify for the schools he wants to go to. He is looking at the Parsons School of Design or the New York Art Institute. I know almost nothing about them. What do you think? Or are there better schools like maybe Yale or Columbia?

Guest Sagesandra
I checked out the link for the statistics on those who received scholarships' date=' and while the SAT's were what I had expected, I was shocked to see the GPA's. 4.37 to 4.67 !!! So this means that their schools are awarding grades higher than 4.0 - I'm guessing for honors courses or AP classes. Our school doesn't offer anything higher than 4.0 and any independent classes are listed on the transcript for credit, but scores aren't factored into the GPA. Most kids have a really hard time getting near a 4.0.

How did or are you awarding grades? Is anyone awarding 5's for A's in honors or AP classes? This was an eye opener ... :confused: Or have grades become so overinflated that they're meaningless?[/quote']

We gave our son a 3.95, unweighted GPA. When you write your transcript narrative, you will explain your grade scale on a small chart. That way schools can compare accurately.

Most colleges take the weighted GPA and turn it into an unweighted GPA in the admissions office. The weight, as you suggest, is applied in high schools for AP classes. They do this to discern their Valedictorian. This does not apply to the homeschool, so we use unweighted GPAs. Admissions offices are aware of these differences and do a good job of comparing accurately.

Guest Sagesandra
For most of us, it is about money. Acceptance is the least of it. My ds did receive about 15-17k based on grades and scores. But private colleges average about 45k (with room & board). That's a lot for even an upper middle class family to make up for 4 years.

Yes, it is about the money. We are working on college admissions for our second child this year. He tried for two full rides, and lost, and was given just about half tuition at both schools. They are very pricey though, and in a few cases we are still looking at a lot of money to send him to either one. It is very, very difficult to win the full ride.

*And arts departments have very very little to offer*. With this son, I am talking about music awards, for our next son, in 8th grade now, it will be art department awards we will seek.

We are learning that for all but .001 of the applicants in music and art, there just isn't a lot of money available from the departments themselves.

So as has been said, *SATs, GPA, community service/leadership*, these are the ways to the big money. And even then, depending on the tuition, it may not add up to enough to allow them to go. Four of our seven colleges are at the 38-50K tuition level.

We prepped ds17 to win music money, leadership/service money, academic money. He did honors, college and AP classes, tested very high (1500 Base SAT) and aced regional and county piano competitions. He has had excellent auditions and was/is in the running for three full rides - two academic and one leadership/service.

But so far, the money offers from selective private schools hover around $20-25K total, not enough for him to go. We really thought music would "pay off" more. But, it doesn't. I'd counsel all of you to check the schools you apply to for how much they will give from the art department itself. And then get busy on grades, test scores, service/leadership.

Just our experience,

Guest Sagesandra

Our state has a running start program. Kids can attend community college free their last two years of high school in a dual enrollment arrangement. Here kids don't lose their homeschool status, either.

One of ours, Spokane Falls Community College, has an excellent graphic arts program, so by enrolling a junior/senior in it, they end up with AA, high school diploma a nice portfolio and an excellent foundation in graphic art.

We plan to do this for ds14. We will add to it to create a more rigorous humanities experience for him but I am thankful for the art instruction it will provide, for free. We got the recommendation from his art teacher who recommended the CC as equal to her selective private college art program in graphic arts. I am thinking the CCs in general may be a good place to look for this.