Menu

cod liver oil for kids

Does anyone here have a great way to get cod liver down your young kids? I know how important it is to their health, but I can't afford to buy a bunch of different gummy or chewable vitamins in order to find one that my kids will take...they are picky...and my son with sensory issues has an easy gag reflex. So any help would be great! Thanks.

Kathy

A couple of ideas for using liquid cod liver oil:

1. mix with strong-flavored juice in a sippy cup (will cause the cup to smell permanently, so you would need a dedicated cup for the cod liver oil)

2. give liquid on a spoon with a juice chaser (for those who won't gag)

3. add CLO to shredded chicken - tastes rather like fish that way

My 7yo loves the lemon flavored cod liver oil liquid from Nordic Naturals.

There's a peach one, too, but she prefers the lemon.

I pour it into a little plastic medicine cup (the ones that come with liquid cold medicine) and add a little pear juice to fill it to the top and she drinks it down without a problem -- and this is a child who hates to take medicine!

My 7yo loves the lemon flavored cod liver oil liquid from Nordic Naturals.

There's a peach one, too, but she prefers the lemon.

I pour it into a little plastic medicine cup (the ones that come with liquid cold medicine) and add a little pear juice to fill it to the top and she drinks it down without a problem -- and this is a child who hates to take medicine!

We also like the Nordic Natural and Carlson. They come in various flavors but I would think that it's not really detectable in orange juice.

How old is your son? My daughter has sensory issues and she hated the fish oil when I tried to give it to her in food. Finally she just decided to start taking it and chasing it with juice. This took a long time of her feeling suspicious of her food, and eventually feeling it would be better to just take it than find it in her juice. She had to get to the right age though.

I did have the best luck putting Peach flavored fish oil from Nordic Naturals into peach flavored applesauce. She couldn't taste it until the day she caught me lacing it...

I think most cod liver oil is from farmed cod. Isn't it?

I sure hope not. Nordic Naturals prides themselves on getting the cod from the clean waters of the Norwegian fjords. I'd hate to find out it was farm raised and fed soybeans instead of what fish normally eat.

Blending it with anything helps. I put it in the kids smoothies but they will also take it straight up if necessary. However if they couldn't, I'd put it in juice and whirl it in the magic bullet. Whirling it just dissipates it or changes the consistency enough to make it palatable to sensory sensitive kids (generally speaking. I'm sure there are exceptions).