Menu

Has anyone read books by Lauren Winner? CC

I picked Girl Meets God off of a discount table at our church bookstore several years ago but have since given several (full-price) copies as gifts. I love the way she explains how her Orthodox life influences her Christianity, and also the description of the loss she feels for having parted with Judaism. It is not an aspect of conversion I would ever have considered before reading GMG.

I have also read Mudhouse Sabbath and plan to read RS.

Doesn't she list SWB in the acknowledgements of one of her books? Or did I imagine that?

Terri

I picked Girl Meets God off of a discount table at our church bookstore several years ago but have since given several (full-price) copies as gifts. I love the way she explains how her Orthodox life influences her Christianity, and also the description of the loss she feels for having parted with Judaism. It is not an aspect of conversion I would ever have considered before reading GMG.

I have also read Mudhouse Sabbath and plan to read RS.

Doesn't she list SWB in the acknowledgements of one of her books? Or did I imagine that?

Terri

Yes, Lauren is SWB's friend! I first discovered Lauren Winner on SWB's blog. I have read one of her books.

Here is one link:

http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/the-spiritual-toxicity-of-publishing/the-book-of-my-enemy/

Louise

Yes, Lauren is SWB's friend! I first discovered Lauren Winner on SWB's blog. I have read one of her books.

Here is one link:

http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/the-spiritual-toxicity-of-publishing/the-book-of-my-enemy/

Louise

I don't suppose they ever just sit around and talk about Desperate Housewives or stain removal or the fact that ice cream is on sale at Publix.

Terri

ooh too cool about SWB. I heard LW speak at Mars Hill a couple of years ago...she was so good. I've been meaning to read her books ever since. I bought the audio version of Mudhouse Sabbath, but the person reading it was really annoying, especially since I've heard LW talk. I should request them through inter-library loan. I think I'd really like what she has to say.

I should request them through inter-library loan. I think I'd really like what she has to say.

I highly recommend reading Girl Meets God first. Mudhouse Sabbath is very different. An excellent read in its own way, but GMG will give you more insight into where she is coming from in MS.

I have also heard LW speak and enjoyed it very much. She doesn't seem like a naturally great speaker, but her content is incredible--I much prefer that to someone who speaks naturally but, in the end, doesn't say anything.

Terri