Menu

I cannot figure out what to name my homeschool!

jenL

According to NC law, I have to apply to open my homeschool within 30 days of my son's 7th birthday, which brings me to the beginning of March. I cannot figure out what to name our school! I asked dh what he thought, and in his true fashion, he answered, "whatever you think is best." Schooling is my area of "expertise" according to him (since I have a M.Ed in Elem. Ed) so he really leaves much of it up to me; however, he supports me whole-heartedly in this endeavor. Basically, he was useless in helping me! :tongue_smilie:

I've come up with one name, but I'm not sure if I like it enough to have it be our school name, and once you name it, you can't change it. Anyway, I took the first initials of dh's and my name and then combined my sons' names to get this: B.J. Garlan Academy. What do you think? I'm open to any suggestions too! :)

Hey Jen~!

I started with two kids. Their names are Taylor and Christian. So, I named my homeschool Taylor Christian Academy!

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now have a 3rd child and can't fit his name in there.....but he doesnt' need to know the name of our school.

Dawn

What do you think? I'm open to any suggestions too! :)

Whatever you think is best. . . ;)

Actually, we've moved several times since we started homeschooling, and I've changed the name each time. I've always just looked out the window, and named it after whatever I saw outside: Desert View Academy, Mountain View Academy, Cactus View Academy.

I chose the name Chapel Hill Academy because we lived on Chapel Hill. We've since moved, but I kept the name, though we don't need it for anything official. I like your name, but I'd be afraid that I'd have more kids and their name would be left out of the name. Could you just use your last name and Academy? Or the name of your street, town, or county?

I wouldn't name it so it appears to be named "after" someone, when that person does not even exist. I went to a junior high school that was named after someone, and I never knew what his claim to fame was (it was not, needless to say, anyone even remotely famous, at least in the 20th century). If you want to name after someone who inspires you (Anne Sullivan Schoolhouse, Booker T. Washington School, John Holt Preparatory Academy), that is a different matter....Just my opinion.

Whatever you choose, make sure it will be a name that will sound good on a high school diploma. You can't change the school name in NC.

Yes, this is why I'm struggling. I really see no reason for us to leave NC, so that is why I want it to be good.

And, there won't be any other children, so I don't need to worry about that... Dh already took care of that :D

I wouldn't name the school after someone who doesn't exist. I think that could come off sounding flaky if someone in authority ever actually inquires as to who B.J. Garlan is.

Why not just use your last name + Academy?

Tara

I never thought of it this way... hmmm... I was just looking at it as it being ours, kwim?

I don't know that I want to do our last name... maybe because I don't really like it? It's choppy and no one ever knows how to say it correctly.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hey Jen, Welcome to the beautiful state of NC....we love it here. ;)

The name is fine. It sounds scholarly which will be an advantage when you assign credits for "graduation" which hopes of dc entering college. If that's the route y'all are taking...to look at a transcript from your named academy sounds good.

I've used Academy as the second of our 2 word name school.

In SC we need a school name. We picked Pride Elementary and use a lion as a mascot. We'll change it for middle school and high school.

Does NC let you change at middle and high school or do you have to stay with the same name the whole time?

Looking to high school and college applications, I've read (no idea where) that it may be better not to use your names or street names or "cutesy" names.

I did not enjoy picking the name, but it's been nice when at soccer practice ds has been asked where he goes to school and he gives our school name. :)

Good luck!