Menu

How much should I pay my friend for these clothes?

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of clothes that will fit my dd this year and next. She was going to take some of them to a consignment store (about 10 of the items) and the rest to goodwill. I asked her how much she wanted for them and she didn't know. I had NO idea how much to offer. I need help.

There were four trash bags full of clothes. There were about 20 dresses. All were Land's End, Lilly Pulitzer, Gymboree, or another boutique brand here in GPP. There were shorts/skirts (15), tshirts (5), bathing suits (4), pants (10), long sleeved shirts (12), dressy coats (2), shoes (10 pair), tights (10 pair), and a few sweaters. All are name brands. There were also 6 shirts, 2 pr shorts, and 6 pr pants for my older boys.

What do you think? This family is great friends with us. They used to be VERY well off and have given me these clothes for the last 3 years. (Seriously, I don't think I've spent more than $100 on her total!) Recently, with the economy, they have taken a huge hit, with both of the parents losing their jobs and taking lower paying ones.

Is $300 too little? Too much?

Thanks!

Taking clothes to a consignment store pays very little. Figure (at the msot) $3-$4 for each pair of pants, $4-5 for each dress, $1-$2 for tees, $4-5 for sweaters. Anything with significant wear, stains, rips, etc., should not be counted, as a good consignment store would not even take them. Also only count the ones with a good label, things from Wal-mart et al don't count. Hope that helps!

Yeah, there's no guarantee that all of it would even sell at consignment. You could probably average it all out at $3-4 per item and that would cover it well. I've paid as much as $10-12 for a dress at consignment, but it has to be pretty much new for me to do that, and something I HAVE to have. I usually scan Goodwill and never pay more than $4 for anything there.

BUT, like a pp said, if you feel like it might bless them more to get more for it, then by all means.

Merry Christmas!!!

If you can afford it, I would give them a generous amount. It sounds like they have been very generous with your family in the past. Now that they have fallen on leaner times, it's your turn to help them. If you can't afford alot then give what you can. They wouldn't get alot from a consignment shop anyway. I think the money would be greatly appreciated right before Christmas. I couldn't guess at an actual amount. $300 sounds good to me. If you can afford more then give more.

If you can afford it, I would give them a generous amount. It sounds like they have been very generous with your family in the past. Now that they have fallen on leaner times, it's your turn to help them. If you can't afford alot then give what you can. They wouldn't get alot from a consignment shop anyway. I think the money would be greatly appreciated right before Christmas. I couldn't guess at an actual amount. $300 sounds good to me. If you can afford more then give more.

I agree. You could always say it is for all the clothing of the past as well if they say it is too much for what they just gave you.

:iagree:

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of clothes that will fit my dd this year and next. She was going to take some of them to a consignment store (about 10 of the items) and the rest to goodwill. I asked her how much she wanted for them and she didn't know. I had NO idea how much to offer. I need help.
I would pay her what she would have otherwise gotten from the consignment store, which is usually about 25% of the original price for like new items. You could also buy her clothes to replace the ones she gave you... since she likely needs new clothes after outgrowing so many. She probably needs to learn how to buy less expensive brands. Edited by Lovedtodeath

That way it's more of an exchange of gifts, and you don't have the potentially fraught issues of 'worth' and 'value' and 'debt'.

Maybe some books? Preferably used ones that you could reasonably say you don't need anymore, but very gently used?

Or maybe something that you make that would have a high cost if it were bought, such as 5 frozen family dinners, or some hand knit items, or a selection of different kinds of Christmas cookies?

Or maybe some New Year's decorations--gold and silver and white napkins and candles, with crackers with funny hats in them, and a couple of bottles of sparkling cider plus one of champagne if the parents might find that festive, and some little cans/packages of party food--gherkins, pate, fancy crackers, etc. All of this done up in a big basket.

I guess what I'm pointing at is that if you give them money, it could be embarrassing. It could be more than they think these are worth, or less, or whatever--and it could be a little odd since you have never done so before. But if you give them an experience, or something with value but not bought, then you're giving them something special that they would not buy for themselves, and right now that might be just the kind of luxury that they would most appreciate. Plus, it's a gift, not an obligation, so it leaves your friendship untouched.

It is great that you have a friend like that. I would bless her as much as you are able.

:iagree:

This is what I'd do. Give whatever the Lord puts on your heart to give her. And if she tries to give it back, don't let her. ;) I've had that happen to me before; all you have to say is 'The Lord wants me to give it to you'. Chances are, even the proudest person won't argue with that. :001_smile:

(Not that I think your friend is prideful. Just saying what's worked for me.)