Menu

What is it about WalMart that brings out one's Inner Beast?

Hmmm. I think at this point it would bother me if I didn't clarify that my problems with this particular chain of stores really have nothing to do with social class or its employees. I really think it has to do with the general atmosphere of the joint.

:)

I agree. I have friends who are doctors who shop at Wal-Mart, as well as friends who struggle to make ends meet that shop there. It's not just a "poor people" place. The atmosphere there is just different than the atmosphere at other stores. My local Wal-Mart has a few really good employees (like the lady who walked all over the grocery section trying to find matzo meal for me), but most of them are just there to get apaycheck and don't want to be bothered (like the guy I ran into most recently who said maybe they carry snow cone holders, but he didn't know. Or the woman who said she didn't know if they had cupcake liners)

I think a lot of the walmart experience is feeling like you are a mouse in a maze that shifts unpredictably, with things you want not where they 'should' be. The sensory experience is bad enough with the flooring and the lighting, and over the top when the other mice bring their extended families and treat the maze as an amusement park while mama mouse chooses just what to put in her basket. Best Buy on a weekend afternoon is similar.

Edited by lgm

I can get in my car and drive to any one of three Wal-Marts in 5-10 minutes. One has just gone through a remodel and is clean, but the employees there have always been known for their customer service. I've never been treated badly by any fellow customer but my toddler did scream to be let out of the cart for about 10 minutes yesterday, so maybe I am too busy being a bothersome customer to notice the others around me.

I shop at Target most often because I like their stuff better and it never takes long to get through the checkout. I like the phones they have throughout the store to call and ask for help. I don't think Wal-Mart is bad, I just think Target is better. Now K-Mart, is AWFUL.

This thread is timely for me because I sent DH with a list of things to get from Walmart over lunch. I also am in the crowd that destests Walmart. Something about it makes me feel like life just isn't worth living anymore. :glare: So I sent DH with a little list of things and I can avoid the whole place. He's a good DH.

I think some of you are putting words and prejudices into someone else's mouth.

But Kinsa-- it's so much more fun to make everyone into a bigot, isn't it? heaven forbid we point out that a majority of Americans are actually able to handle a crowded WalMart w/ 5 kids in tow just fine while exercising patience and not spazzing out. Don't forget that some of us actually have family that works happily at WalMart, or saves a ton of money at walMart.

It's much more fun to gripe about corporate welfare on one hand then diss WalMart for ignoring the financial comfort of big corporations. Forget about the people in third world countries overseas that can actually use the business that WalMart provides. no-- America First!!

I don't have a problem with legitimate [as in, LEGAL] migrant workers, but I have definitely noticed a HUGE difference in the way people behave at the 3 WalMarts around us, and it has EVERYTHING to do w/ demographics that meet the unfortunately all-too-accurate stereotypes.

and yeah, I know it's not politically correct to say that, but when an entire store's shoppers are mean and nasty w/ cop cars permanently positioned outside the front door, the behavior speaks for itself. The truth may be harsh, but it's the truth.

So to answer the OP and the inner beast question -- well, I think it answers itself.

It's not WalMart: it's the inner beast.

Asta has a nice sig line about that.

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

eta: in trying to keep up w/ being all PC and stuff, I also noticed that it's apparently ok to hate "crowds" but if you take the time to describe WHICH crowds you hate-- "WalMart" or "busloads of migrant workers" it's NOT ok. got it.

Edited by Peek a Boo

:confused: I didn't see her say anything derogatory about the migrant workers, just that there are busloads that come on Sundays. Personally, I would find that good information to know, so I could not be there at that time because of the crowds. I think some of you are putting words and prejudices into someone else's mouth.

The prejudice spoke for itself in that the writer found the identifiers necessary.

The prejudice spoke for itself in that the writer found the identifiers necessary.

That's not "prejudice" -- just plain old fact based on what she has observed in her specific area.

I'm sure we could analyze the various threads with all participants in it and find all sorts of identifiers to secure judgments of prejudice tho.

could certainly be enlightening. ;)

But Kinsa-- it's so much more fun to make everyone into a bigot, isn't it? heaven forbid we point out that a majority of Americans are actually able to handle a crowded WalMart w/ 5 kids in tow just fine while exercising patience and not spazzing out. Don't forget that some of us actually have family that works happily at WalMart, or saves a ton of money at walMart.

It's much more fun to gripe about corporate welfare on one hand then diss WalMart for ignoring the financial comfort of big corporations. Forget about the people in third world countries overseas that can actually use the business that WalMart provides. no-- America First!!

I don't have a problem with legitimate [as in, LEGAL] migrant workers, but I have definitely noticed a HUGE difference in the way people behave at the 3 WalMarts around us, and it has EVERYTHING to do w/ demographics that meet the unfortunately all-too-accurate stereotypes.

and yeah, I know it's not politically correct to say that, but when an entire store's shoppers are mean and nasty w/ cop cars permanently positioned outside the front door, the behavior speaks for itself. The truth may be harsh, but it's the truth.

So to answer the OP and the inner beast question -- well, I think it answers itself.

It's not WalMart: it's the inner beast.

Asta has a nice sig line about that.

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

eta: in trying to keep up w/ being all PC and stuff, I also noticed that it's apparently ok to hate "crowds" but if you take the time to describe WHICH crowds you hate-- "WalMart" or "busloads of migrant workers" it's NOT ok. got it.

:iagree::D

I think it has less to do with the location than with the stress people are under: people often shop under duress--needing presents, having very little cash--and it shows.
I agree that it's not locale-related, and that people are under stress (sometimes self-inflicted more than anything). Whether or not those people "need" presents is up for debate, imo.

I don't think it's store-related either. I don't know that there's a great deal of difference between the atmosphere at Wal-Mart versus any other big box store. All I know is that the atmosphere at the small, local shops I frequent makes shopping a pleasure. (And I don't use the words "shopping" and "pleasure" in the same sentence often!;))

I agree, Colleen. Shop local-- the service is so much better, the prices are often just as good, and the quality is far superior. It's not just the big-box patrons, it's the box itself: toxic fumes, horrible lighting, high ceilings, jarring noise, dangerous parking lots.

No thanks.

astrid

I have been amazed at how pleasant shopping at our WalMart has been this year. There have actually been quite a few times (both that I have seen and others have mentioned to me) when complete strangers in line (the lines are unbelievably long) have offered to go get something for someone farther up in the line after overhearing someone mention they couldn't find something. On Black Friday, a friend of mine was looking for MP3 players for her twins, but there was only one left. A man noticed her looking at the empty display trying to figure out what to do, and asked if she needed another player. When she said she had been hoping to get one for each of her kids, he handed her one out of his cart and said that he was torn between two things for his neice, so he'd give my friend the MP3 player and get the other item he had in mind for his neice.

WalMart has been amazingly crowded, but everyone has been nice and helpful for the most part. (This is very unlike every other WalMart we have lived near this time of year. As someone else mentioned, it must be a location thing.)

I think it has less to do with the location than with the stress people are under: people often shop under duress--needing presents, having very little cash--and it shows.

I [and others] haven't found this to be true either. the BadMart I mentioned earlier has a cop outside 24/7 all year long. Others don't need a cop at their beck and call.

Shop local-- the service is so much better, the prices are often just as good, and the quality is far superior.

I haven't found this to be universal at all.

I haven't found this to be universal at all.

That's too bad.

Case in point: our stove died last year. We got prices on models we liked at big chain stores, then went to the mom-and-pop appliance store on our small main street. He not only matched the prices, but threw in delivery and installation for free. Then I gave him a glass of iced tea and he played with my dogs while the oven heated up, just to be sure that it was working fine. Can't beat that service. Same scenario when our fridge died the year before that.

I do most of my shopping locally, and have been quite pleased with my local merchants. I'd much rather support main street merchants and local businesses who are contributing to my local tax base than fork over cash at the local big box who was given a huge tax break just for ripping up and paving several acres of forest and meadow.

Just my personal experience and preference.

astrid

Originally Posted by melissamathews viewpost.gif

do you live in South Georgia? You have just about described the walmart in Fitzgerald, just don't forget the migrant farm workers that come every sunday in the summer by the bus loads. I don't like going to Wal-mart but where I live you don't have any other options so Walmart or bust

Migrant workers that come every Sunday in the summer by the busloads??? Oh, the HORRORS!! How dare migrant workers enter a public store, how dare they spend their hard earned money, how dare they try to buy food and essentials for their families on Sundays when respectable people are trying to shop. This is why the South has such cruddy stereotypes...perhaps you could mosey in on a Saturday, unless the Muslims or blacks or Italians or Germans shop that day.

So now a simple statement of fact makes one a racist??? Where is the logic in that?

The horror of horrors is that some will find offense in every statement, in every opinion in every thought that is not in lock step with their cherished beliefs. Attacking the poster for making a statement of fact that "migrant farm workers that come every Sunday in the summer by the bus loads" is the type of visceral reaction that we see more and more which is based on.... well based on nothing. Where did the poster claim that they did not have a right to shop? Where did she make a single claim or statement that could in any way lead to the vicious diatribe to which she was subjected?

The belief in "stereotype" came from the respondent who without any evidence launched an attack on the posters morality, intellect and basic value system. That is the horror, not what was posted.

Edited by pqr

The fact that the group was identified by the respondent ("melissamatthews," combined with her indication that said group's presence at the local WalMart was indicated as a negative and a reason to stay away, I believe, was the idea to which Dot was reacting.

For instance, if the OP had said, "....busloads of conservative Christians" or "....busloads of Jews....." or "....busloads of homeschoolers......" or "....busloads of large families......" or "....busloads of blacks....." I'd bet my next paycheck that there would be cries of indignation and outrage from those here who identify themselves a member of that particular group.

astrid

Edited by astrid
clarification of names

The fact that the group was identified by the OP, combined with the OP's indication that said group's presence at the local WalMart was indicated as a negative and a reason to stay away, I believe, was the idea to which Dot was reacting.

For instance, if the OP had said, "....busloads of conservative Christians" or "....busloads of Jews....." or "....busloads of homeschoolers......" or "....busloads of large families......" or "....busloads of blacks....." I'd bet my next paycheck that there would be cries of indignation and outrage from those here who identify themselves a member of that particular group.

astrid

Hey, wait a minute...aren't I the "OP"? :confused: I really think it probably just has to do with the lights or the air or something...

I'd much rather support main street merchants and local businesses who are contributing to my local tax base than fork over cash at the local big box who was given a huge tax break just for ripping up and paving several acres of forest and meadow.

That's NOT why they were given the property tax breaks. ;)

plus, they usually pay more than most businesses even with the tax breaks. Tax break does not equal "tax free." The sales tax that they contribute usually does more to support the local tax base than the smaller stores. Sometimes unfortunate, but that's the reality.

Tax bases are interesting things.

dh and I were just having a similar conversation about this w/ our local City Manager Monday morning in fact. of course, i don't want a WalMart in our town, but it's more because i like the rural feel than anything against walMart.

The fact that the group was identified by the OP, combined with the OP's indication that said group's presence at the local WalMart was indicated as a negative and a reason to stay away, I believe, was the idea to which Dot was reacting.

that's quite a stretch to justify an ignorant comment that itself implied something about a poster that was never there. Not sure what is worse: watching someone turn a poster into a bigoted racist or watching the action being supported.

Dot went way overboard. and y'all jumped with her.

I thought the "busload" comment was pretty clear about the CROWD portion.

but hey, what does the poster know? doesn't she know that adding details makes her a bigot?? She just isn't aware of how racist she is. Thanks for setting her straight y'all.:001_rolleyes:

that's quite a stretch to justify an ignorant comment that itself implied something about a poster that was never there. Not sure what is worse: watching someone turn a poster into a bigoted racist or watching the action being supported.

Dot went way overboard. and y'all jumped with her.

I thought the "busload" comment was pretty clear about the CROWD portion.

but hey, what does the poster know? doesn't she know that adding details makes her a bigot?? She just isn't aware of how racist she is. Thanks for setting her straight y'all.:001_rolleyes:

Yeah. Okay, Peek. Whatever.

It's a free country. You can continue to be wrong if you want.

Merry Christmas.

astrid

Am I a biggot that I avoid going to Wal-Mart right after school to avoid the "after school" crowds? ((ducking and running)):leaving:

yes, but it only has one g in it ;)

The BadMart that i was referring to earlier is 99.8% black. I've had some great experiences and nasty experiences. My kids have had people go out of their way for them as well as witnessed a cussing catfight. I don't mind stopping there, but the basic observations compared to the other two w/in 20 miles are simply astounding.

Yeah. Okay, Peek. Whatever.

It's a free country. You can continue to be wrong if you want.

Merry Christmas.

astrid

...but Peek is not wrong. She is simply offering the view that one should not call a poster a bigot, a racist etc and challenge her morality because a reader thinks (despite a complete lack of evidence) that the poster made a comment that was out of line.

Am I a biggot that I avoid going to Wal-Mart right after school to avoid the "after school" crowds? ((ducking and running)):leaving:

I was just thinking that!! My neighbor just asked us to go to Busch Gardens tomorrow. I politely said no and she left it at that. The reality is I don't want to because there will be carloads of public school kids. I can wait two weeks and go there when there are no lines, why would I want to go tomorrow? I guess I'm now a biggot!

For the record, I've lived in two communities with migrant workers. In both communities I found them to be the rudest people to be around in stores. They block the aisles, won't move out of your way, budge in line and are very disrupting to any business when a large group comes in on the weekend to shop. Late at night there are often drunk migrant workers in the grocery store and they are not quiet, calm drunks; they are scary. In both communities I changed how I shopped and went around town as soon as I knew they were back in town. These are just my observations based on two communities in two different States. If you live in close proximity to migrant workers you understand the comment about how crazy it is when they are shopping.

Melissa

no, they aren't MY words, they are Dot's: she specifically brought race into a discussion about CROWDS.

and you defend that practice.

that's not opinion: it's fact.

Don't forget religion and ethnicity as well. We had the whole smorgasbord in that post as well and even managed to insult an entire region of the US.

That anyone could defend that post is .......

It really depends on where you are. When I lived in Maryland it was just as you describe. One of the WalMarts where I used to live was in a town called Catonsville, but people called it the Satansville WalMart. You can guess why.

But where I am now (tiny town in PA) there's a different feel to the people. The WalMart isn't as crowded (because there are fewer people) and no one is rude.

I had stopped going to WalMart in my old neighborhood, but now I go again and there's no problem.

one in Catonsville. It's better if it's before 10am..some anyway!

I commented on the statement Melissa wrote--SHE specifically named a certain group of people, not me. Read it again, Peek. Crowds are crowds, and Walmarts are usually crowded. She specifically named the group. I doubt the migrant workers travelled in a huge pack throughout the store, shopping as a group. If you dislike shopping with many others, fine and dandy, but to me, it crosses a line when you start naming names, so I called her on it. How many knickers would be twisted here if someone mentioned how their brunches at Denny's are marred by the fact that loud, boisterous church goers mob the restaurant every Sunday?? It works both ways, guys!

I am amused by the people who have responded, tho...

She commented that a specific group regularly shops there on a certain day.

PERIOD.

YOU turned it into a racist comment.

There HAVE been threads where those descriptions have been given. school groups, churchy youth groups, sports groups, and other groups HAVE been mentioned. Depending on the context in which people are described, some are called on their CONTEXT and others are passed as being descriptive.

"specifically naming the group" doesn't constitute RACISM or BIGOTRY. It shows the poster was actually paying attention to a regular routine.

I'm not amused.

Inserting bigotry and racism onto another isn't a laughing matter, and it's telling that you think it is.

eta: "busloads" is a LOT of people. They don't need to be traveling in a pack to see the effect busloadS have. And you missed the mark on copying my "style" -- I don't capitalize every letter of an entire PHRASE, lol.

Edited by Peek a Boo

I commented on the statement Melissa wrote--SHE specifically named a certain group of people, not me. Read it again, Peek. Crowds are crowds, and Walmarts are usually crowded. She specifically named the group. I DOUBT THE MIGRANT WORKERS TRAVELLED IN A HUGE PACK( trying to copy Peek's capital style here) THROUGHOUT THE STORE, SHOPPING AS A GROUP. If you dislike shopping with many others, fine and dandy, but to me, it crosses a line when you start naming names, so I called her on it. How many knickers would be twisted here if someone mentioned how their brunches at Denny's are marred by the fact that loud, boisterous church goers mob the restaurant every Sunday?? It works both ways, guys!

I am amused by the people who have responded, tho...

Was she not telling the truth? Do migrant workers not arrive by the busload? (I do not know, I was not there). If she is telling the truth then what is your issue?

Daisy stated that Wall Marts are overcrowded and Melissa stated that this is caused (in her area)by migrant workers arriving in buses. You then called her a racist and a bigot. I ask again is she not telling the truth? If she is telling the truth how is she a racist?

You say "it crosses a line when you start naming names." Why? Your argument seems the same as those who argue that the description of a criminal should not include race. It makes no sense.

Where did she make a racist statement? Read it again. You called her a bigot, you insulted a region of the nation, you brought race and religion into the issue and she is in the wrong?

:iagree: It must depend on the location. Our Walmart is almost never crowded and people are pretty friendly.

It really depends on where you are. When I lived in Maryland it was just as you describe. One of the WalMarts where I used to live was in a town called Catonsville, but people called it the Satansville WalMart. You can guess why.

But where I am now (tiny town in PA) there's a different feel to the people. The WalMart isn't as crowded (because there are fewer people) and no one is rude.

I had stopped going to WalMart in my old neighborhood, but now I go again and there's no problem.

Read it again. You called her a bigot, you insulted a region of the nation, you brought race and religion into the issue and she is in the wrong?

to be fair, Dot didn't CALL her a bigot. She merely inferred it ;)

melissa said

do you live in South Georgia? You have just about described the walmart in Fitzgerald, just don't forget the migrant farm workers that come every sunday in the summer by the bus loads. I don't like going to Wal-mart but where I live you don't have any other options so Walmart or bust

and Dot jumped down her throat with

Migrant workers that come every Sunday in the summer by the busloads??? Oh, the HORRORS!! How dare migrant workers enter a public store, how dare they spend their hard earned money, how dare they try to buy food and essentials for their families on Sundays when respectable people are trying to shop. This is why the South has such cruddy stereotypes...perhaps you could mosey in on a Saturday, unless the Muslims or blacks or Italians or Germans shop that day.

see? she didn't use the WORD bigot or racist. But i'm sure that makes ALL the difference.....

...but Peek is not wrong. She is simply offering the view that one should not call a poster a bigot, a racist etc and challenge her morality because a reader thinks (despite a complete lack of evidence) that the poster made a comment that was out of line.

Neither was Colleen, when Peek gave her that very same line. Just didn't happen to share the same viewpoint as Colleen. Not wrong, just different.

astrid

Neither was Colleen, when Peek gave her that very same line. Just didn't happen to share the same viewpoint as Colleen. Not wrong, just different.

astrid

what same line?

Colleen said

"The prejudice spoke for itself in that the writer found the identifiers necessary."

again: it is wrong to assume prejudice merely because one happens to mention one group of people in context.

Dot dragged numerous other religious and cultural groups into a hostile post that directly assumed a malicious intent on the part of a single phrase by melissa. Dot assumed disrespect and bigotry because melissa happened to be aware of her local surroundings and recounted a regular occurrence.

there is no comparison when you look at the posts in context, side by side.

The malice is evident in Dot's post, and it is defended by several others. It is despicable that others consider that type of malicious intent as "not wrong."

Yet more proof that the mere mention of WalMart brings out one's inner...

no. but assuming one's motives based on one factual descriptive phrase amidst a ton of context and telling people based on that assumption that they are acting like a racist bigot reveals an inner beast that makes WalMart look like a saint.