Menu

So, I was gifted with a poker weekend. I'm in New Orleans.......

And, because of the game, this already crazy town is over the top. I can hear at least 3 parties going on in the streets from my hotel room.

Remember last year, when I made 4th on a World Series of Poker circuit event final table? It's been a year since then. A dear friend gifted me with the opportunity to come again for this year's women's tournament.

I played in the Thursday night tournament. I was the last woman standing, going out at 13th. The "money" started at 9. ;) No cash, but impressive nonetheless. I stayed up all night watching the live final table, talking with the players (I had played with them for hours by then), and the staff. Although I don't direct professional level tournaments in my job, there is a lot of common ground in what I do and what they do.

I don't "gamble" at other games, so I didn't play slots, table games, etc. Just poker. When not playing poker, I have been in my room, studying poker, journaling. I'm in between classes for my school, semesters for the kids' school and in transition in many ways. The psychological evaluation is coming up in the next month for the 2 year old custody battle.:tongue_smilie::001_huh:

Just being able to sit and "be" without dogs, laundry, dishes and stuff has been therapeutic.

My gift weekend came complete with a buy in to tomorrow's women's tournament. It starts at noon. I can't wait to play. I'll be studying the rest of the night.

Friends from Houston are in town for the event; they invited me to dinner tonight as their guest at a mystery restaurant. I had not spent any time with this couple outside of poker work, so I was looking forward to it. The dinner ended up being at Emeril's BAM. The soup and service were mediocre but the entree and dessert? OMgoodness. The company was great, although I will not have any guilt should I be in a position to take her out of the tournament tomorrow. ;)

When I get back, our Fireworks Stand will be loaded and ready to go. We'll need to delay Christmas for the kids until after we get paid for the Fireworks Stand. :lol: I lead such an odd, incongruous life.

I am looking forward to organizing for our new homeschool semester and pre-reading whatever texts I can purchase for next term in my school. Since I go to a Christian graduate school, I am required to take a number of core theological courses and next term I am taking New Testament. I can't wait!

DH is immersing himself in the Fireworks Stand until after the first of the year when he'll concentrate on finding a new job. We have our homeless friend spending the nights at the stand to give him some legit income and keep him warmer and dry. Since DH ended up in the hospital the 2 previous stands, it's best he not over-extend physically (he has some medical issues). My xh is not willing to be flexible with scheduling, so the kids will miss most of the stand (not their preference). But I do get them Christmas day this year.

Think of me tomorrow, noon! And the hours that follow!

Sorry that my Cowboys beat the Saints. :D

Glad you get some time away!

Hey, I live in TX. I don't mind the Cowboy win except for the fact that I was in NOLA during it!;)

Thinking of you today, Joanne, and hoping you're having a great time (and winning, too!!!)

Cat

Thanks, Cat! After many hours of grinding out a chronically low chip stack to survive, I went out the bubble for the final table. Painful.