Menu

Looking for a latin program

SewLittleTime

We're liking Lively Latin for that age. I like it because it's straightforward for me to implement (even with my minimal knowledge of Latin), has a pronunciation CD, has varied activities, and is secular.

LL is my pick too. I chose it because it had the only samples that make sense to me. The only down side is that the answer keys are occasionally wrong. I keep threatening to start a master thread of corrections, but haven't yet. I should just go do it, hua?

Heather

We went with Latin for Children for several reasons: I like the dvd lessons and pronunciation cd, I like the workbook and activity book and I didn't want to have to print out my pages/activities.

My 2nd and 5th graders have been enjoying them and doing very well.

We went with Latin for Children for several reasons: I like the dvd lessons and pronunciation cd, I like the workbook and activity book and I didn't want to have to print out my pages/activities.

The DVD lesson and the pronunciation cd are a definate plus for me since I have no background in Latin at all.

I have no background in Latin and Latin for Children has worked great for us. We're almost done with our first year and I highly recommend the program. I've found it syncs really well with FLL3. Grammar taught in FLL shows up just a short time later in Latin, so the concepts are not too foreign.

Guest classicaledufan

This is our second year using the Latin Curriculum from Memoria Press. We started out with Prima Latina workbook, CD and the DVD’s and now we have advanced to Latina Christiana I. Actually my daughter is picking it up much easier than me. If your looking for the Ecclesiastical pronunciations and the chance to learn prayers in Latin I highly recommend Memoria Press. I also recommend using Lingua Angelica if you would like to add music to your Latin studies.

This is our second year using the Latin Curriculum from Memoria Press. We started out with Prima Latina workbook, CD and the DVD’s and now we have advanced to Latina Christiana I. Actually my daughter is picking it up much easier than me. If your looking for the Ecclesiastical pronunciations and the chance to learn prayers in Latin I highly recommend Memoria Press. I also recommend using Lingua Angelica if you would like to add music to your Latin studies.

What made you decide to do Ecclesiastical pronounciations vs. classical?

The DVD lesson and the pronunciation cd are a definate plus for me since I have no background in Latin at all.

Hello there! I found your thread doing a search for the same thing but for a younger age, for Adrian. I found the Latin for Children the most appealing because of the DVD's also so I checked them out at Rainbow Resource. There's a great description there. They seem to be from Classical Academic Press and they offer the following:

Songschool Latin, grades K-3

You could look at starting this next year and using it for your two kiddos ;).

Then they have:

Latin for Children, grades 3-5+

This has the DVD's, the Songschool Latin only comes with CD's (one CD has classical pronunciation and one with ecclesiastical, your pick)

and last but not least they have:

Latin Alive, grades 7-AD

This comes with DVD and CD.

I am not giving a recommendation since I came here searching just like you and could not find much info in the SL forums, but I thought I would offer what I found since I checked them. I also found them at CBD.

HTH!

ETA: Oh, and I also do not have a Latin background ;).

Edited by Guest

Hello there! I found your thread doing a search for the same thing but for a younger age, for Adrian. I found the Latin for Children the most appealing because of the DVD's also so I checked them out at Rainbow Resource. There's a great description there. They seem to be from Classical Academic Press and they offer the following:

Songschool Latin, grades K-3

You could look at starting this next year and using it for your two kiddos ;).

Then they have:

Latin for Children, grades 3-5+

This has the DVD's, the Songschool Latin only comes with CD's (one CD has classical pronunciation and one with ecclesiastical, your pick)

and last but not least they have:

Latin Alive, grades 7-AD

This comes with DVD and CD.

I am not giving a recommendation since I came here searching just like you and could not find much info in the SL forums, but I thought I would offer what I found since I checked them. I also found them at CBD.

HTH!

ETA: Oh, and I also do not have a Latin background ;).

Thanks, Marie! It's good to see you here. I've been lurking here a good long while, but just now really starting to post here.

I have narrowed down Latin to either Latina Christiana or Latin for Children. I'm leaning toward the latter. I found the review at Rainbow Resource very helpful too. Thanks for pointing that out. I want to choose something we can use and continue with throughout their schooling.

I may even start my middle one in Song School Latin just so he is like big brother. Then it can reinforce what ds1 is learning. Although that will completely depend on funds.

I have a background in Latin from teaching Latin in Christian school to 5th through 8th graders so I have a bit different perspective. I am using Latin's Not So Tough with my now 9th grader. We started in 8th grade and she caught on very quickly and zoomed through the first three levels last year and this year. It is very easy for her as an older student and she has mastered translating in the third level. We like the pace of the workbook and vocabulary. The program is complete with flash cards in back of workbook or you can purchase on card stock separately. We will finish through level 6 this year which is the equivalent of a two year high school program. We will supplement next year with translation of a Latin classic. My daughter will get our curriculum next year to start with her 4th grader. I love Latin and the grammar carries over to our LA program. We love finding derivatives of our Latin vocab also. I believe it is the most practical of all foreign languages because it is basic to the Romance Languages and many science, medical and legal terms students will encounter as they get older. Win Win as far as I can see. Hope you all find the right curriculum for your children. High five for choosing to teach Latin when you haven't previously taught or learned it. You go girls!!!!!!

I am using Prima Latina this year with my 9 yo. I don't have a Latin background so we purchased the DVD's. We actually find the pronunciation CD to be enough so we stopped using the DVD's.... we don't want to spend a ton of time on Latin so we do it 3 times a week... one day introduce the lesson and then 2 days with one worksheet each day. My ds really is enjoying it and it's an easy program to follow even if you don't have a background in Latin. I think we'll stick with this series...

Thanks, Marie! It's good to see you here. I've been lurking here a good long while, but just now really starting to post here.

You're welcome. I was glad to see you here too. This forum is also a great wealth of information I find.

I have narrowed down Latin to either Latina Christiana or Latin for Children. I'm leaning toward the latter. I found the review at Rainbow Resource very helpful too. Thanks for pointing that out. I want to choose something we can use and continue with throughout their schooling.

Yep, same here. If you noticed they are apparently working on more levels for Latin Alive.

I may even start my middle one in Song School Latin just so he is like big brother. Then it can reinforce what ds1 is learning. Although that will completely depend on funds.

Well, one suggestion would be to try Songschool with both for a year and see how they like it. It is rated K-3 on Rainbow and that would still leave you with lots of time to cover Latin for Children if you were to start the following year. This way you would not need to buy two in one year and it would keep your little guy happy also, to be with his big brother. Then you will still have Songschool for the following year for him and you will only have to invest on Latin for Children for your eldest, kwim? That's what I would do but you know what's better for your kiddos of course.

I hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family :)!

Edited by Guest

Well, one suggestion would be to try Songschool with both for a year and see how they like it. It is rated K-3 on Rainbow and that would still leave you with lots of time to cover Latin for Children if you were to start the following year. This way you would not need to buy two in one year and it would keep your little guy happy also, to be with his big brother. Then you will still have Songschool for the following year for him and you will only have to invest on Latin for Children for your eldest, kwim? That's what I would do but you know what's better for your kiddos of course.

I hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family :)!

I did notice they had other levels of Latin Alive in the works. I'm really trying to bathe this one in prayer. I like your suggestion though. I'll have to really consider that.