Menu

In praise of tea tree oil!!!

Okay, a few weeks ago I posted a thread about adult acne, possible ovarian cyst, etc...

Went to Dr. Tuesday...yep, cyst is back. Back on HRT. Oh well, I tried the natural way for a year and a half and it didn't work for me. At this point, I just want the pain gone (it's excruciating mid-month...DON'T TOUCH ME ANYONE!!!).

On to the acne: I've had this strange breakout for about 6 months now -- as many as 30 major spots at a time, quite a few cystic. I tried many remedies and programs: acne.org, Philosophy's acne system (which did work for a while, then my skin must have adjusted to it), the new Neutrogena program (which caused my face to swell up like a balloon...frightening!).

It was suggested that I simply mix a drop of pure tea tree oil into my facial cleanser before I wash, and add a drop to my moisturizer in the morning and night. I've been doing this for 3 days now, and ALL of my active spots are healing. All of them. Nothing new has popped up...usually I had something new appearing daily.

I hope this is a long-term solution. Dr. said that the hormones will probably help a lot too, but will take time to take effect.

I had the same problem and the same result. My naturopath told me that tea tree oil is an anti-fungal and she wondered if the "acne" was actually caused by fungus of some kind.

I keep wishing my dr. would test me for Valley Fever or other desert fungal disease. I know TWO people who've been diagnosed in the past month. A third man in our Sunday School class had a lot of my nasal symptoms (NOT THE CYST SYMPTOMS :lol::lol::lol::lol:) plus acne last year, and his wife said the dr. couldn't nail down anything other cause but a fungal infection.

When people say that living in desert can make you sick, I don't think it is all that untrue. I've had more nagging "not feeling 100%" here than any other place I've ever lived.

I also like lavender oil for acne. I find that if I switch off with that and tea tree oil, I get great results. I usually just dampen a cotton pad with a little water, put a drop of whichever one I'm using that day on, and swipe it over my face (after wash/toner, before moisturizer). No set schedule, just whatever I feel like using that day.

Glad you found something that is working!

I had the same problem and the same result. My naturopath told me that tea tree oil is an anti-fungal and she wondered if the "acne" was actually caused by fungus of some kind.

It's also anti-bacterial. It works as well as, or better than, traditional topical antibiotics for MRSA.

We've been using it successfully on my dd's recurrent skin staph infections and molluscum.

My son had ringworm on his scalp, which is notoriously difficult to get rid of. The doctor gave him oral medicine, a prescription shampoo, and a lotion to rub on it. It didn't work; in fact, the lotion made it spread. I'd put the lotion on in a circle just a bit larger than the spot with the fungus and it would spread to where the lotion was. I finally tossed everything, shaved his hair, and used a paint brush to paint tea tree oil on his head. It worked.

It's also anti-bacterial. It works as well as, or better than, traditional topical antibiotics for MRSA.

We've been using it successfully on my dd's recurrent skin staph infections and molluscum.

For skin, my nutritionist has me melt 1 c coconut oil, add about 5-10 drops Tea Tree, pour into a container and let harden. We use this as a skin moisturizer after every shower and it is helping with various skin issues.

I also like lavender oil for acne. I find that if I switch off with that and tea tree oil, I get great results. I usually just dampen a cotton pad with a little water, put a drop of whichever one I'm using that day on, and swipe it over my face (after wash/toner, before moisturizer). No set schedule, just whatever I feel like using that day.

Glad you found something that is working!

So you do a one day lavender, one day TTO regimen? Also, do you keep doing it even after the acne has cleared up? I can't imagine that it would hurt to keep doing it....

This thread has been SO wonderful and affirming! Thanks everyone.

So you do a one day lavender, one day TTO regimen? Also, do you keep doing it even after the acne has cleared up? I can't imagine that it would hurt to keep doing it....

This thread has been SO wonderful and affirming! Thanks everyone.

I don't really have a set regimen..... I base it on how bad my skin is looking. Usually, if my acne is really bad, I'll use tea tree oil until I see it start to heal and then switch to lavender. I feel that the lavender is gentler on my skin. Once it's healed up to the point where I only have a few small pimples, I will drop to every other day, then when it's completely healed, I'll try to drop it altogether (still haven't gotten to that point, but at least my dh is no longer asking me to go to the dr. lol). My acne gets worse a couple weeks before my period (sorry, tmi) so I am able to ease up the other couple weeks. The other thing I've just started doing is making my own facial moisturizer. I took jojaba, apricot, and grapeseed oils (1/2, 1/4, 1/4) and infused chamomile and lavender flowers into it, strained and added a couple drops tea tree and 5 or so drops lavender oils. I use it instead of my (expensive!) natural acne moisturizer. So far (about 3 weeks in) it seems to be working well.

I would experiment a little. Tea tree and lavender are the only two oils I would consider safe to use neat on the skin though....and I don't like to overdo even these "safe" oils. After all, they are very highly concentrated chemical compounds, natural or not. A drop or two once a day....maybe twice for 2 days if its really bad (like ashamed to go out of the house bad).

Disclaimer : I'm not an herbalist or aromatherapist! It's just an interesting field that I've done a fair amount of reading on.

Hope that it continues to work for you! I never had to deal with this until a couple years ago....it's not fun.

Eczema??

Yes- eczema in youngest, weird folliculitis on my upper legs (related to fungal infection I contracted with pneumonia years ago) and odd sun induced hives in dh (possibly related to gluten intolerance and VERY low Vit.D. Yep, we are one health-issue family! The nutritionist has been a God-send and we are seeing some real relief.