Menu

S-x education books for 10 yo dd

HSMom2One

I really need to go through a girls health unit with my dd, as we have not gone into a lot of detail yet about puberty and reproduction. She knows the basics, as we have had those important discussions, but I want to give her a bit more in-depth instruction. I've seen these books before, and have access to them. I just wondered if anyone has used them at all, and if so, what did you think? Did you find them complete enough, and did they present well?

How You Are Changing - Girls Edition

Where Do Babies Come From? - Girl’s Edition

Thanks!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I got my dd a booklet on these things from Queen Homeschool that was just about perfect, without being explicit or overmuch. The God's Design books made *me* blush, and I'm a woman who's pretty comfortable with herself! We'll just stick to homebirth and honest answers, mercy. The GD books with their "it makes us feel good all over" comments (whew!) were just more than we needed. SOLD those.

What all are you wanting to cover? I guess it's a tricky thing to me, because some kids are over-informed and some under-informed. You don't want yours under-informed and shocked, but over-informing both weighs them down and takes them into too much. I personally have concluded that what we're doing is a path for the long-haul. (Shelter now, shelter all the way?) Well there's a controversial statement, lol. In any case, it is true that it all has consequences. I was just shocked to see the overly precise level of understanding some of the kids on tv seemed to have when queered for an afternoon medical show (around the Oprah time-slot).

We read through both How You are Changing and The Care and Keeping of You. The first is more big picture and the second has a much broader range of topics--includes things like needing to shower more and skin care. I'm glad we did both, but I will say the my dd reads The Care and Keeping of You on her own over and over. Both were very helpful tools for me to discuss things with her.

We read through both How You are Changing and The Care and Keeping of You. The first is more big picture and the second has a much broader range of topics--includes things like needing to shower more and skin care. I'm glad we did both, but I will say the my dd reads The Care and Keeping of You on her own over and over. Both were very helpful tools for me to discuss things with her.

My kids have also read The Care and Keeping of You so many times it's almost falling apart. It covers body changes but not s-x. I have not found a book I like much for the latter. I ended up having them read through the Health and Human Body Science Explorer book and some other body books for the basic facts. They're 11 but still pretty much think "ick" when it gets into that part. We'll get into more details as they get older.