Menu

Every 6 mos I want to change curricula

TOG at beginning of school year - AO at middle to end.

What is it with me??????

You're not at all alone. Most of us (myself included) are self-proclaimed curriculum junkies. I currently own two science programs that I love, yet I find myself meandering through threads about Nebel's BFSU! It's tempting to believe any struggles you're having might be eased if you could just find the "perfect" curriculum. It's also a lot of fun to research, and the possibilities for knowledge are just endless, which gets most of us all worked up. But there really is no program that will make HSing easy. It's hard work no matter how you slice it. I've finally come to realize that switching around won't change that (though of course, if you or your DC are REALLY not meshing with a program, it's prudent to consider other options!).

Edited by melissel
Too many "reallys"!

The cure: move overseas where the cost of shipping new curriculum is prohibitive. I buy curriculum in July. It arrives in August with friends. And I'm stuck using it until the following July.

Actually I have switched curriculum a few times in desperation, but those international shipping costs have been a good deterrent from curriculum-hopping.

After 8 years of homeschooling and curriculum hopping, I've decided it's because I feel totally inept in being a teacher. I always found something wrong with the curriculum and was certain I could find other material that could do a better job. It wasn't the curriculum. It was me.

It's a little easier now. We started my ds13 in high school using Keystone because that is what my dd17 is using. I no longer have to pick out his books and programs. And I put my dd11 into 2 outside classes to cover LA and science. She's taking a history class in Keystone Middle School and using MUS until she is confident enough to be enrolled in a Keystone Middle School math class. Yes, these are expensive options, but my kids are now getting what I feel I couldn't provide. And boy do we see gaps that curriculum hopping caused. In particular, my dd11's math skills.

I think that it is a natural response to the fact that homeschooling isn't all shiny children in rapt attention around our feet while cinnamon rolls bake in the over to hope that a different curriculum will be the think that makes it not work.

Students crave knowledge and wisdom without work. I as a mom and teacher crave well educated, wise children while still being able to not put off computer time, volunteer duties, time with friends, a lovely house, etc.

Education requires work. Dilligence, persistance, and then more work. A new curriculum is exciting because it is novel. It comes with these glowing recommendations of what a great fit it is. But six month in, again you have the work. If it's not really broke, don't try to fix it.

There is no magic pill. Spelling, math, reading, handwriting all require practice. Novelty will only take you so far.

TOG at beginning of school year - AO at middle to end.

What is it with me??????

LOL, I do similar....

I keep researching and looking at all that is available and then doubt myself of what we have bought. I think it is because I am one of those people who organizes and thrive on planning things out.

So once we picked and bought the curriculum we are using... I feel like I am now just twiddling my fingers. Also I feel like every time we come up against a problem I am thinking maybe we got the wrong curriculum.

I am only homeschooling my 9th grade twins... they do most of the work themselves and I just "grade", nag them when they are not getting what I "planned out" done on time, and help when they ask for it.

So my researching and thinking about changing curriculum is just "giving me something to do" LOL. Like I really need more to do-LOL.

Edited by AnitaMcC

The cure: move overseas where the cost of shipping new curriculum is prohibitive. I buy curriculum in July. It arrives in August with friends. And I'm stuck using it until the following July.

Actually I have switched curriculum a few times in desperation, but those international shipping costs have been a good deterrent from curriculum-hopping.

Oh, how I wish. I have still been a curriculum junkie, buying from the U.S. with terrible exchange rates and prohibitive postage. Since its all I have ever know, it just seemed normal :glare:

What I have done is use the central idea of using history as a centre, tying our literature into history, and also a daily routine that includes "together time" and starting with maths. I have used copywork, dictation and narration as a centre of our LA program particularly for my dyslexic kid.

We have 4 ten week terms, and I am always "improving" what we are doing for the next term, including changing curricula. But overall, I just dont regret it. We could not have done Saxon Maths and Rod and Staff English all these years with any joy. The changes keep us interested.

Yes, I could have done with LESS changes. But still, I dont regret trying many things and I dont think the kids have suffered for it- but we have had a core of stability, not so much in curricula, but in routine and a certain approach.

I know there is a balance to be had here, but I say dont let curricula be your master- you are the teacher. Use the curricula for a purpose, and if its not working, ditch it.

I've started borrowing more and more books from the library on a variety of things, geometry, how to spell, everything you need to know about chemistry, etc. Now, when I start to get the palm sweating, 'I'm ruining you aren't I' feeling, I turn to those books and just ADD to what we're doing. We might take a day off of our regular work to play with something I just picked up.

It is an incredible amount of pressure to know how very much your child is relying on YOU for their future. I don't think this is only something hsers go through, but I think it's more obvious to hsers, because we're handling their education ourselves. The responsibility involved is awesome. So, we reach out for some crutches and sometimes it just doesn't seem like any old crutch will do (none of them are really "good enough" for my children ;) ).

I don't think it's hopeless, though. Remember all the great men and women that were self-educated (they didn't even have a nagging mother). Remember that we're giving them the keys to educate themselves, to even (shudder) find out later where Mom flubbed and relearn it the right way.

All that to say, I don't think the curriculum will make or break you. Strive for honesty in their knowledge and take advantage of your local library!

:grouphug: