Menu

I need help with Christmas ideas too, please! 5 yo DD...

My 2.5 year old is getting a train table, train, and tool work bench. Big, exciting looking gifts. I got a terrific deal on them at a Black Friday sale.

I'm totally stuck on my almost 5 year old DD. She hasn't asked for anything. I don't know what she would want. I considered a doll house, but I feel like she probably enjoys making shelves and closets homes for dolls as much as she would enjoy some huge thing that takes up space... but maybe I should go with that idea.

My other idea is a bunch of wedgits. She's already getting a 30 piece set from MIL. I considering getting another 30 piece set and maybe the expansion pack. I think something like that would get a lot of use, but I worry that she'll look at little brother's "big" gifts and feel sad.

Any ideas? Unrelated ideas? Anything? I feel that she is moving out of the "younger" toys and since she is my oldest, I don't know what to move her into...

Yeah, it is hard when babies get such "big" gifts and the older one is thinking that they didn't get something quite as big. Can you label one of those gifts to both kids? Maybe the train table? I know that my 5 year old DD would still enjoy playing with a train table.

Does your DD already have a scooter or somthing like that? My DD5 is not getting anything big (as in size wise) this year either. But then again, neither is DD2, since we already have a lot of the large childrens toys like a kitchen, train table, etc.

Is your DD crafty? At Hobby Lobby I saw a big cardboard house that sets up and the child can play inside of it. But they also color it and decorate it themselves with markers and such. That has a "big" wow factor due to the size. I know that my DD5 would love something like that, but we do not really have anywhere to put it.

How about a pop-up play tent? My daughter loved her pink "castle". They are big and exciting for Christmas morning, but fold up easily for storage... and they foster lots of creativity!

Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayHut-99069-Playhut-City-Boutique/dp/B000FIMXIE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1260895920&sr=8-5

What does your dd enjoy? My dd is the same age. If I had an idea of what her interests were, I might be able to come up with some suggestions.

She likes playing with dolls and stuffed animals... making beds for them, feeding them, etc. However, she has a stroller and swing and doesn't tend to use the stuff designed for them. She uses my tupperware and stuff like that.

She enjoys dressing up but has quite a bit of dress up clothes already.

This is where I get stuck with her. She mostly enjoys running around with little brother... digging in dirt outside... coloring on scraps of paper with a pen (instead of using construction paper and markers). She likes puzzles and books... She isn't really "into" anything. Not fascinated with horses or anything in particular.

Littlest pet shops seemed to flop around here. Do you think she would like these if she didn't like LPS?

She likes playing with dolls and stuffed animals... making beds for them, feeding them, etc. However, she has a stroller and swing and doesn't tend to use the stuff designed for them. She uses my tupperware and stuff like that.

This is where I get stuck with her. She mostly enjoys running around with little brother... digging in dirt outside... coloring on scraps of paper with a pen (instead of using construction paper and markers). She likes puzzles and books... She isn't really "into" anything. Not fascinated with horses or anything in particular.

Would she enjoy any of these Chicken Socks books?

One of the best gifts I gave my boys (I think it was 4 years ago) was a craft box. I got them each a rubbermaid box with a latched lid and filled it with different papers, envelopes, tape, sticky notes, pens, scissors, crayons, and pipe cleaners. Is there something like that you could customize for her? Maybe add some fabric scraps and fabric markers or something that she could use to make beds and blankets and the like for her dolls?

I know abbeyej would highly recommend playsilks, so I'll post that just in case she doesn't see this thread.

ETA: I agree with making the train table for both of them if you can. My mom got my older boys one about 7 years ago, and it's still used almost daily, even though it's rarely for the train set that goes with it (they prefer to build that on the floor because they have more room to spread out the design). So if the train table will be in a community space, I'd place her name on it, too :).

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I agree with the idea of making the train table for both of them. If you don't want to do that and since your daughter sounds very creative, how about one of these ideas (all very popular with my own kids).

Wooden block set with a set of wooden dollhouse furniture. She can make her own houses and set them up differently every time.

Puppet Theatre book with some of the supplies for making puppets/theatres. This book is wonderful! Oh, and have you considered a puppet theatre? The Melissa and Doug theatre is a good one (although I made my own with red and black curtains because we're running out of space and patience for big toys). They're super duper! You can get some Folkmanis (my favorite! exquisitely made!) or Melissa and Doug (also very good and reasonably priced) puppets to go with it. It's a big wow gift and wonderfully creative.

Play silks go really well with either of these ideas and I agree that they're fabulous. I personally like to get gifts that everyone ends up playing with and these have all really worked well for that purpose.

Another thing dd loves is her sewing basket full of supplies--real stuff for embroidery and sewing and plastic count. You could get her Made by Me or Girls' Best Book of Knitting, Sewing, and Embroidery or See and Sew. This is similar in style to the one I got dd5 but hers is pink (can't find it anymore).

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Board games? Puzzles? A nintendo DS? Construction toys for a sandbox (or a sandbox lol)? Things to make a snow fort?

Littlest pet shops seemed to flop around here. Do you think she would like these if she didn't like LPS?

My girls adore Playmobil, but they were never drawn to anything like that. The PM people and animals are 'realistic' and offer a much greater range of play, ime. Another useful or not data point: my dds are huge Breyer horse fans, but My Little Pony was never never on their radar, fi.

We bought our 5 year old a wheelbarrow for Christmas last year and it was a huge hit. It has been used to transport dolls, dirt, her sister, anything you can imagine. We included a kid size rake, hoe and shovel with it (from the For Small Hands Montessori catalog).

I would also recommend the pop up play tent or cardboard coloring house. We have both and the tent is preferred because the kids can move it around (backyard, playroom, living room for movie night campouts) but they did really enjoy decorating the cardboard house (Costco, $20).

And I would also include the older childs name on the train table.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My girls adore Playmobil, but they were never drawn to anything like that. The PM people and animals are 'realistic' and offer a much greater range of play, ime.

We'll probably start Playmobil for our next birthday celebration. It occurred to me that if I buy dd the church, she might never come out of her room again. She would be marrying people 24/7. :lol:

We're getting our dd4 this play kitchen for Christmas http://www.target.com/Play-Wonder-Kitchen-Center-Set/dp/B001GI0NBG/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

We got ours in the store, even though it was "out of stock" online.

As far as puppet theaters go, we got our kids something similar to this http://www.magiccabin.com/product.asp?section_id=0&department=0&search_type=normal&search_value=puppet theater&cur_index=&pcode=1840 because it hangs and can be rolled up and put away. We just put a nail in top of the door frame and hang it when we want to play. Easy and doesn't take up space.

Some things my 5yo dd has and enjoys or has on her list:

A subscription to one of the Cricket magazines Award-Winning Magazines for Children of all ages-- Never any advertising!

A sewing kit I put together myself---fabric scraps, felted wool, a thimble, lots of buttons, thread, and a chenille or tapestry needle (easier for little ones to work with, plus not as sharp!), all packed in a pretty sewing basket picked up from Joanne Fabrics.

A DSi with age-appropriate games

Lincoln Logs

A new velour jog-suit or a pretty dress

a wagon

boots

a purse or wallet with a gift-card tucked inside

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am going to ask DH about some of these... the puppet theater, the sandbox, the wheelbarrow! I definitely see something like a wheelbarrow getting lots of use around here!

I am planning on maybe making all of the "santa" toys for all three kids. That way I don't have to listen to any "that's mine" for the next year! We'll see how it works!

ETA... part of the problem is the grandparents have given them so many toys the last several years... she actually has had a play tent and also a subrsciption to Cricket.

For her birthday this year, we got DD5 a craft box. I got a plastic storage container like this with a top handle. I then went to the dollar store and just started buying things like small colored envelopes, small doilies, pencils, stickers, tiny present wrapping bows, small gift bags (she loves to give people gifts :001_smile:)...pretty much anything that she might like. She loves it! I probably only spent around $20, but there are so many things in the container, she thought she hit the jackpot.

Both of my girls look SO forward to their monthly magazine coming! DD5 receives Click, and DD3 receives Ladybug. Ladybug is definitely geared younger, but it still very, very cute.

My DD5, almost 6 is receiving:

A 100 piece Ravensberger fairies and unicorns puzzle (it's hideously sparkly, pink and purple, but she will ADORE it!)

A Melissa and Doug folding stable with some horses

A plush horse

Enchanted Forest board game