Menu

Tips on teaching both a middle schooler and a high schooler?

I'm starting to feel stressed about getting it all done. My two littles (ds9 and ds6) are no problem right now, but dd15 (9th grade) and dd12 (6th grade) are needing so much from me this year, and it's never been an issue before.

With dd15, it's the adjustment to doing high school work. She needs to learn to put much more time into studying, writing papers, and preparing herself for tests. She is an independent type, so she doesn't mind working on her own generally, but we have to have higher level literature and history discussions now, and I am teaching her German, so I'm not really spending less time with her this year; if anything it's more.

With dd12, it's that she is *not* an independent learner. She's a very advanced reader (Shakespeare for pleasure), and wildly creative. But she is an extrovert, and very much an aural learner--she must be taught every lesson personally, face to face, with interaction. She cannot for instance read a math lesson and do the exercises. So almost all of her subjects other than reading, and some grammar/spelling workbook stuff, require sitting with me.

I feel like I'm spending all day sitting with these two, and I have a ds 9 and a ds6 who need my attention too.

I'm trying to think of ways to combine the two girls' work where possible (for instance, we do literature together, since dd12 is such an advanced reader), but since they are three years apart and such wildly different learners, it's hard to combine them in any other areas.

I was hoping that others looking at this picture from the outside (or with similar experiences) could see options that I can't right now.

TIA,

Amy

Are you going to count the literature for your middle schooler as high school credit? How are you working that?

No, I wasn't really thinking of that, since it's such a while before she'll be in high school. But this way I can discuss the literature with both of them at once rather than seperately, and we all benefit from having a group for our discussions. Dd 12 is a good enough reader to read and discuss with dd15, but her writing is nowhere near the same level; she's still at the book report stage. I require much more sophisticated papers from dd15 on what we read. So it's not that dd12 is doing a high school lit. course.

:)

So will you have her reread the same things for high school credit or do other things?

Probably a little of both--I haven't really planned that far ahead. I'm sure she'll read a lot of the same things in high school, if not all the same. It may benefit her to have seen it before. We'll see... :)

:bigear:

I have kids the same age & they both require LOADS of hand holding.

One is almost paralayzed by perfectionism and the other is just a daydreamer & will fritter the day away. Seems like I need to drag them through the curriculum every step of the way.

I have wondered about whether to give them the same amount of work but at an easier level for a bit, but my kids are both academically 'behind' already so I don't know if I can do this. I wondred about yours though - whether an easier workload/more review would help them build up some independence.

I'll be watching for other ideas.

Could you post a typical day/week schedule with lessons and activities?

It usually goes something like this:

9:00-10:00 Dd15 is doing Algebra independently. I am nearby to help if needed. Dd 12 is reading. Ds9 is doing workbook stuff and his reading. Ds6 is playing.

10:00-11:30 Dd 15 moves on to other independent work that she doesn't need me around for. I may start ds9 on his math. While he's working on that, I get together with dd12. I teach her the new math lesson, and we go over most of her work from yesterday--the history and science sections she has outlined, her writing lesson/draft to be discussed, religion reading to be discussed.

11:30-12:00 I focus on ds6 (phonics, Saxon1, and a story).

12:00-1:00 Lunchtime/break for kids, computer/housework for me.

1:00-2:00 My lunchtime. I'm also doing SOTW or science with ds9.

2:00-5:00ish or later Literature discussions with both girls, history discussion with dd15, German with dd15. Ds9 and ds6 are done with work for the day. Dd12 is doing her math exercises, writing, and outlining her history/science for tomorrow. On some days she will have a science experiment to do with me at this time.

The problem is that I never seem to get everything done with the girls. Something always seems to slip through the cracks. Also, I feel like ds6 is not occupied enough. I will try to do things with him when I get little time, such as play with clay or with some math manipulatives. He generally doesn't seem bored, plays with legos, etc. alot, but I feel guilty!

Edited to add:

BTW, their various activities (swimming, scouting, chess club, etc.) all take place either before 9am or after 5pm, so I didn't include them on this schedule.

Edited by Amy in TX

My older dd (12) is exactly the same way! I cannot get her independence where I would like it to be because she really needs my interaction. She is a very auditory learner (so likes reading aloud and being read to etc.) and almost always starts to fall apart if left alone too long. Her work really starts to slip. This has really been a point of interest for me too since my younger dd (who is highly independent...:D) has to carry the weight of being less interacted with even though she is much younger. She is very unique (reads well into 5th/6th level) and I do bounce between them both. So far the fact she is only a first grader (though works about 2nd) allows me to get away with this (she doesn't have to have more than 1-2 hours of real work time anyway) but I worry that I won't have older dd independent in time for younger dd to benefit when she needs me. To build my older dd's independence I have started her on a simple assignment sheet that has work to be due at the end of the week. I only put assignments I know she can do on her own. Math, Latin, French, CW, Science, Literature and other assignments too has to have at least some interaction with me. I can teach her the lessons and leave her to complete them on her own (this is where I can bounce over to younger dd for lessons) but we usually only do one subject at time. I do have her assignment sheet so that she can work on something else independently if I am still with younger dd. She knows to pull it out and work on while she waits. This helps some but I will be taking notes with this thread. Hope you can get some helpful advice!

Edited by Kfamily

MIne are similar ages [15 -10th, 12 -7th, 8, 5, and 3] but my older two are pretty independent, so I probably can't help much.

I will add that I do have simultaneous teaching sessions [esp w/ biology, history, and lit], but what sets high school level work at a high school level is the response: my 12yo does NOT do high school level papers even tho he may totally understand the gist of what we're discussing. I do NOT count his work as "high school credit" even tho i know many other homeschoolers would.

My 15yo just took the PSAT and he's about where I expected him to be, so I'm not too worried about our progress.

good luck working it out!

I'd work towards aligning my younger three together since the 15 yo's schedule is working. The younger three would begin their subjects together with the younger two having free reading time while the 12 yo finishes. It would also be possible to combine all four, but I'd be reluctant to hinder you high schooler.

Also starting earlier on days you aren't outside the house is a great way to accomplish more before the day gets away from you.

Another option is to look at your 12:00 to 2:00 time slot and tighten it up a bit.

Don't be discouraged though, I've found December is always a great time to look back and make adjustments for the new year.

Edited by Tammyla

Would it help to do something like Chalkdust or Videotext or Lial's digital video tutor for your 12yo?

It isn't face-to-face with you and it isn't interactive, but it would be a lesson with an actual teacher she can see and hear.

I have tried Saxon's DIVE cds with her, but she wasn't learning anything--she'd come to me afterward and say, "I didn't get that." I think she really needs the interaction, asking me questions, etc., to get a concept into her brain.

:)

I'd work towards aligning my younger three together since the 15 yo's schedule is working.

You know, that's something that never occurred to me. I should spend some time considering their schedules from that angle.

Also starting earlier on days you aren't outside the house is a great way to accomplish more before the day gets away from you.

The 9am starting time evolved for several reasons--I am very much a night person. Also, dd15 was having a lot of trouble sleeping for a while, and a later schedule has really helped her. And starting at 9 allows me to take ds9 to his homeschool swimming club at 8:15 twice a week. However, you're right that I and some of the younger kids could probably make use of the earlier time on some days.

Another option is to look at your 12:00 to 2:00 time slot and tighten it up a bit.

True--I do tend to allow that midday break to drag out. :)

Thanks for all the responses--the more the better. It's enormously helpful to me to hear multiple views.

Tricia--Do you do literature discussions? Do you use "box" type curricula or online curricula that are meant to be done by the student without parental input? I'd love for my dc to do a lot more on their own, but it just isn't possible, partly b/c they're just not *that* independent, and partly b/c some subjects, such as foreign languages, can't be really learned alone from a book and I haven't found effective online options for them. Sorry for the run-on--I'm really interested. :)