Menu

If you were going to teach a co-op class on literature/literary analysis....

kokotg

Or if you actually have....

Where would you start? Would you buy a pre-written program or put it together yourself? Would you talk yourself into spending the money on IEW's Teaching the Classics ;)? Would you add in a heavy writing component or mostly focus on discussion (maybe with informal journaling)?

This is just a seed of an idea, but I'm thinking of something like this for our homeschool co-op for next year. I taught freshman comp when I was in grad school, with a heavy focus on literature, but this would be maybe 4th to 6th graders or so, I'm thinking. I have trouble getting around to sitting down and doing focused discussion with my oldest on what he's reading at home AND I think a group setting can be really helpful in talking about literature (not to mention that it seems to be something a fair number of homeschooling parents don't feel comfortable with themselves), so....that's why I'm thinking about the class. Still very much in the brainstorming phase, so any and all ideas/suggestions are very welcome!

I would start with TTC and reading Deconstructin Penguins. I would probably not use a prepared curriculum, choosing instead to write my own curriculum for the class. I would include an introduction to maor literary concepts through the books I chose. I would teach them to write a book summary and book critique, and assign a few of each, but not require any journaling. I would probably also include some presentation skilss (book talks, oral reports,) unless that was already covered in another class.

Junior Secret Noveling Club teaches the major themes of literature (hero, villain, conflict, setting, plot, etc).

We have enjoyed going through the lessons. Then you could pick a half dozen books and do book club style discussions of them, hitting on the points that you learned in the club.

Or you could do a couple of the lessons from the club and then read a couple books, then do a couple more lessons.

The amount of writing that I would expect would depend on the age of the students. If they were junior high age or younger, I might do non-essay style writing assignments. For example, write a want ad for a hero or a newspaper article detailing one of the hero's heroic actions. Or a wanted poster, with details for a villain.

For older students, then I would try to introduce essays, maybe with specific guided topics at first. Compare and contrast, how is a character a hero but still flawed, does the villain seem real or too simplistic, how does the setting drive the action (in other words, could the same story be set somewhere else).

We've really had fun with the noveling club and it is one of the few things that my kids ask to do when I forget.

I would start with TTC and reading Deconstructin Penguins. I would probably not use a prepared curriculum, choosing instead to write my own curriculum for the class. I would include an introduction to maor literary concepts through the books I chose. I would teach them to write a book summary and book critique, and assign a few of each, but not require any journaling. I would probably also include some presentation skilss (book talks, oral reports,) unless that was already covered in another class.

Have I told you lately... that I want you to teach my kids?? I want you here!!

Carrie... in Oregon... nice little town with deer walking through our front yards... and then right back in the woods....

:-)