Menu

I need a simple craft project

This Sunday, I am watching 7 little 10 year old girls before and after their performance in the Nutcracker. I will have them almost 3 hours. The show is 2.5 hours with a 30 min intermission. They dance about 20 min. first thing after the intermission. So, I need a simple craft to occupy some very excited girls in a rather small room. I don't want to spend a great deal of money either. Just something fun and simple for them to do and take home to put on their tree.

I'm going out to Hobby Lobby and Michaels later. But, I am not crafty - - please give me ideas!!!

Do you have access to American Girl magazine? They usually have neat and simple ideas in there.

You could kill some time just making snowflakes. You'd be amazed how long 10yo girls can stay occupied with plain white paper and scissors :) Maybe bring some glue and glitter (if that's not too messy with costumes) to stretch the activity.

Our girl scout troop just made these Reindeer ornaments (the light bulbs might be a little pricey, though - I found replacement sets - 4 bulbs/99 cents - at Target.) This would work best if you secure the "antlers" with hot glue ahead of time. Again - glue - might be too messy w/costumes.

Pipe cleaners are great and non-messy - they could bend them into candy canes, make reindeer antlers for stuffed animals, bend them into wreaths and decorate w/beads...

You could fold "cootie catchers" and make up holiday-theme labels.

Just google "christmas crafts kids" and you'll find lots of great ideas!

I would go for something that isn't messy at all. The last thing you want is to have to clean backstage or deal with damaged costumes.

Friendship bracelets are easy but time consuming and kids love them. Same with beaded bracelets or necklaces (seed bead necklaces are especially good for kids that age). If you want a Christmas craft you could do beaded snowflakes.

You could kill some time just making snowflakes. You'd be amazed how long 10yo girls can stay occupied with plain white paper and scissors :) Maybe bring some glue and glitter (if that's not too messy with costumes) to stretch the activity.

We just made several types of snowflakes: Standard snowflakes from white paper, snowflakes from cupcake papers and coffee filter snowflakes.

The cupcake-paper snowflakes are tiny and pretty. We made silver snowflakes using foil cupcake papers which would look lovely hanging on the tree from a beaded ribbon.

The coffee filter snowflakes were easy and not too messy. We colored on the filters with red, yellow, green markers, dripped water on them with an eyedropper so that the colors spread. While they dried (about 15 minutes) we cut the other kinds of snowflakes. Then we folded and cut the filter snowflakes. They are beautiful against a window.

Cat