Menu

Is the TM necessary for Horizons Math K & 1??

diaperjoys

Thinking about trying this one - is the manual essential, or is it a pick up and go sort of workbook??

Honestly, I didn't use them (I assume you mean Horizons Math). They do have the kids do things that aren't in the workbook, and I know some people use them. I mainly use the TG's for an answer key & find I don't really need it for that until Level 4 (when it is sometimes faster to go get the manual than to work the problem myself).

Merry :-)

Honestly, I didn't use them (I assume you mean Horizons Math). They do have the kids do things that aren't in the workbook, and I know some people use them. I mainly use the TG's for an answer key & find I don't really need it for that until Level 4 (when it is sometimes faster to go get the manual than to work the problem myself).

Merry :-)

After wasting my $$ on the K TM, I took Merry's advice and just got the workbooks for Horizons 1. We don't need it at all. I'm glad I saved the money. Thanks, Merry! :D

It depends on your ability and comfort level. There is no instruction whatsoever in the student workbooks. They are just the practice of the concept after it has been taught. They also don't include the drill necessary. So you would need to know how to teach the concepts for each lesson and schedule out drill yourself. If not, you wil need the TM. There have been posts on these boards over the years from people who didn't get the TM and then regretted it later when the program overtook their dc, because they hadn't scheduled in the drill or taught the concepts well enough.

We didn't use the TM for Horizons 2. There was certainly nothing that I couldn't teach myself, but I did feel that I missed out on some of the big picture. There were times when I went "Oh, so that's why they were teaching x for the past 3 weeks!".

We got the TM for Horizons 3, and to be honest, we don't use them much, although it saves a great deal of time when marking (as all the answers are given). As a teaching aid, I found the TM to be lacking. It wasn't detailed enough for me. If I am not sure how to teach a particular concept, I generally have to resort to the Internet.

It depends on your ability and comfort level. There is no instruction whatsoever in the student workbooks. They are just the practice of the concept after it has been taught. They also don't include the drill necessary. So you would need to know how to teach the concepts for each lesson and schedule out drill yourself. If not, you wil need the TM. There have been posts on these boards over the years from people who didn't get the TM and then regretted it later when the program overtook their dc, because they hadn't scheduled in the drill or taught the concepts well enough.

I agree. I see complaints from moms of older kids that Horizons left "gaps" but these are almost always from people who didn't use the TMs. The teacher manuals contain instruction and drill work that is not in the student books.

We didn't use the TM for Horizons 2. There was certainly nothing that I couldn't teach myself, but I did feel that I missed out on some of the big picture. There were times when I went "Oh, so that's why they were teaching x for the past 3 weeks!".

We got the TM for Horizons 3, and to be honest, we don't use them much, although it saves a great deal of time when marking (as all the answers are given). As a teaching aid, I found the TM to be lacking. It wasn't detailed enough for me. If I am not sure how to teach a particular concept, I generally have to resort to the Internet.

I do agree that the instruction for teacher is lacking.

Hm, I can't really disagree with what anyone else is saying... I've used Horizons 1-6 with one child and k-2 with the other. I love Horizons. And I never used the TMs.

*But* I was completely comfortable teaching the concepts in K-3 myself. And we did do additional drill, and I did take notice as the kids were expected to do skip counting or multiplication, etc, and I made sure they learned those things as we went, and learned them well.

In grade 4 (I think -- I don't have the books open in front of me), the instruction begins to be directed to the student. I continued to make sure ds understood the material, and we would go into it in more depth as necessary... I did find it took me a few minutes to check all of the problems in grades 5 and 6 -- would have been faster with an answer key! ;) On the other hand, it meant more practice for me, which was probably not a terrible thing. :)

I agree that it's an individual decision based on your comfort level. I bought the whole package for Kindergarten because I'm not crafty/clever or whatever you want to call it to think of ways to teach stuff. I like having the ideas laid out for me. Will I use the whole thing? Probably not. Do I like the comfort of knowing it's there in case I do need it? Absolutely!

We are using Singapore EB and I don't have the TM because the development ideas are at the bottom of the textbook pages. I did get some good ideas for material presentation from those too.