Menu

Teaching typing

elise1mds

Does anyone use a curriculum for this, or do you just teach your kids where the keys are, which fingers to use, and let them go at it? I have a typing game for my son to use but really don't want to purchase a book or program for this if it's not necessary. My homeschool bookshelf doth overflow as it is...

The actual act of learning to type is too boring without some kind of impetus - it's easier to hunt and peck and write what you want than to repetetively type keys in a pattern - and how would a kid know which words to type to learn, say, the home row first? It's all about building muscle memory, and just typing what you want to uses too many keys all at once for that to become established.

If you don't want to spend money, Dance Mat Typing is wonderful and free. I had my kids use that for about a year, and then I did spring a bit less than $20 for Typing Instructor for Kids - they knew all the keys by then, but they needed some games to get their speed up. Without some games, they just didn't have enough incentive to practice enough to do that. It was utterly painless for me; they just used the computer here and there, and very quickly became very good typists with no work at all on my part. If only everything were that easy! :tongue_smilie:

We tried to use some of the free ones in the beginning for DS but he was bored with them after the first couple of days. We found the programs to have too much repetition in the lessons.

For example: With Rapid Typing, they have the same letters and lessons to use over and over but no real games to play. After DS would do a lesson, he remembered the key sequence and it was not a challenge anymore.

Then we tried Typing Instructor for Kids and was a huge success! He loves the games and the setup of the program. There is a lot of motivation to keep going because he isn't allowed to play some of the games until he's had a particular lesson.

Read, Write, Type by www.talkingfingers.com

It's worth adding to your overflowing shelf imho. This program is typing/phonics/reading all in one. It's a review/supplement in phonics and typing program in one for us. I love killing two birds w/one stone.:D

We tried Typing Instructor for Kids first, and ds6 didn't want to play. RWT keeps him typing for 15-20min. I could teach this....but I've got a 4yo and 3yo who snatch up some "mommy time" while ds6 types.

At this point, kids are only 7 & 8, they have a typing game that they play online. It's the BBC's Dance Mat Typing. I'm not really counting typing as a formal subject just yet, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get them familiar with it before they got too comfortable with the hunt and peck method, since they do spend some time on the computer.

Read, Write, Type by www.talkingfingers.com

It's worth adding to your overflowing shelf imho. This program is typing/phonics/reading all in one. It's a review/supplement in phonics and typing program in one for us. I love killing two birds w/one stone.:D

:iagree:This one is GREAT! I'd love it if they made a newer version with updated graphics, but the program is solid. One of my top 5 best homeschooling products over 6 years of homeschooling.

When they get older, check out Typing Instructor Deluxe.