Menu

Efficient curriculum? Less teacher time??

diaperjoys

We have four young kids close in age, and so I expect to spend a hearty chunk of each day helping them with schoolwork. Even so, though, there doesn't seem to be quite enough of me to go around.

I like the materials we're using, but when I think of next year doing 2nd grade, 1st grade, K and toddler....well, I'm not sure how to do it. Something needs to adjust. Lots of you juggle far more grades than I do, and have more littles underfoot too. What do you use? Can you share your favorites with me??

Here's what we're doing (or trying to do) now. What would you change to make this doable once everyone moves up a grade?

DS6, 1st grade - (super strong reader, average in math)

BJU Math 1

CLE Reading 1 (just started this)

CLE Science 1 (just started, hoping he can be pretty independent on this)

AAS level 1

WWE level 1

Artistic Pursuits (we rarely make it to this)

SOTW, volume 1 + VP history cards

HWT K

Song School Latin

DS5 Kindergarten (just beginning to read, math comes easily)

Explode the Code / Bob Books

BJU Math K

HWT K

Sit in on History, Art.

DS, almost 4 - Kumon workbooks (chomping at the bit, won't be able to hold him back much longer, formal K will need to start in the fall)

DD2- rearranging!

progress.gif

Continue to combine for history and art. Drop handwriting for olders once they can form the letters and just let them practice thru their other writing. Assign the older one some independent work, like copywork, coloring pages, spelling words, or reading while the younger works directly with you. Have the oldest play with your littles for 15-30 minutes while you work with the others.

I would definitely keep them together in Science, History, and Art w/whatever materials you are using w/the older. Just have the younger listen as you read aloud, answer comp. questions, draw narrations, and help w/experiments for History and Science.

I only have 2 who are not much older than yours, but I have noticed this year w/my 2nd grader that she can do a LOT independently as I work w/the younger. She can sit and do her handwriting and silent reading as I spend an hour w/the younger. I take a break in the middle and go over the instructions on her phonics (easy for her) and she does that. Then she can give me a narration of what she read when I start w/her. Then I go over her English and math. Then we do our afternoon subjects together. (Art, music, history, or science.) When we start Latin, I will only be working w/the older next year for our first year. Then I will add the younger later. I read aloud to both whenever possible, and have the older read to the younger quite often too.

My kids are similar ages - 6, 4, 3, and 2. We have a dual secular/Jewish curriculum. This is what we do...

10:00-11:00, everyone for prayer, songs, torah stories

11:00-12:00, DD6 for biblical Hebrew (reading and grammar), torah study, and Hebrew writing (all of this daily)

12:00-12:30, time with DS4 for reading, writing, math (or whatever he feels like working on; always completely up to him)

1:30-2:30, DD6 for printing practice, composition, grammar, reading, math (all daily except composition/grammar which alternate)

2:30-3:30, all together for history (secular and Jewish) or science or art project

Alternating the all-together times with the 1-on-1 times works really well for us. I also have DD6 read a story a day to DD3 and DS2 while I work with DS4. DS2 also usually naps during our 1:30-3:30 block of time, which definitely makes that a little easier.

DD6 is slowly becoming a little more independent. She can generally do English and Hebrew printing practice on her own, sometimes math after some explanation time (maybe 50% of the time). We are on a year-round schedule which makes it much easier to fit in the dual curriculum.

All the best! It's a big job to juggle all those little, little learners! :)

My kids are exactly your kids' spacing, but 2 years older. This is what we did--

*Other than with DD9 (oldest) I started them when they got to 1st grade. I always emphasize reading in the early years, because once they can read they don't need you nearly as much.

*We do science, history, Bible and any field trips, art projects, etc--basically any non-core stuff. If it's too basic for DD9, she can be my helper. But most of what we do is on her level or just a little lower.

*You'd be amazed at how much the littles will pick up just from hearing you school the olders! DD6 (3rdborn) was already reading 3-letter words when I started working with her. DD4 (youngest) has picked up letter sounds, etc. on her own.

*DD9 teaches DD4 as part of her schoolwork. They do 15 min. together, and it's enough for DD4 to make progress, it's good for their relationship, and it takes one thing off my plate.

*DS7 and DD6 do almost everything together. They are in MUS Alpha (should be done before too long), and we do FLL and writing together (writing is just dictation/copying at this point). They practice reading separately, but I encourage them to listen to each other read as I think it helps them with their own reading.

*DD9 is very independent. She has never needed much help from me for anything. And when we're going through busy times, I'll drop stuff from her schedule that requires a lot of attention from me.

Anyway, it's working for us--DD9 is doing great, and I'm finally hitting my stride with the middle two. I think when DD4 is a couple years older, we'll be able to dive into a lot more schoolish stuff as a family, but for now I'm ok with what we're doing.

Next year I will have kids in : 2nd , 1st , K and 1 year old.

This year is going very well for us.We only spend about 2 hours each day , sometimes less. We focus on the 3R's + the Bible at this time. All my kids are well advanced for their ages , but we don't do much arts&crafts and music(except piano lessons) . We just don't have time for that !

I choose a curriculum that is not too parent intensive and I add a lot of great books to read.

I think you should reconsider your curriculum.

You have at least 3 that are too teacher intensive :BJU , AAS and WWE .

I would definitely drop these and instead choose one of these :

CLE for LA and math or Abeka, reading real books instead of a curriculum,at least for grammar stage (see Sonlight or HOD lists )

Another math that is more independent is Singapore and Horizons.

Keep SOTW and VP cards , I am doing the same thing , but next year I will add MOH 1 .

For spelling , we are using spellingcity.com with lists from the natural speller . He loves that and every time we print the spelling report too.

Someone else said that if your child writes well , you don't need a writing curriculum and I agree .

We are doing notebooking , my oldest loves the pages and to write about what we've read in history , sometimes he has to color .

I recommend for that holdthatthought.com , I bought the cd's 50% off from these boards.

I have 3 working on official school work plus a 3 yo and a baby. Reading the Latin Centered Curriculum really helped me to determine what was important to me in teaching my kids. I am implementing a modified version of it that looks like this:

9:00 dd1 Math, ds1 Piano, ds2 independent reading

9:10 dd1 Math, ds1 independent reading, ds2 piano

9:20 all Latin

9:30 all Greek

9:40 dd1 Piano, ds1 Math, ds2 Handwriting

9:50 dd1 independent reading, ds1 Math, ds2 independent reading

10:00 break

10:20 dd1 independent reading, ds1 Handwriting, ds2 Math

10:30 dd1 independent reading, ds1 independent reading, ds2 Math

10:40 dd1 Writing, ds1 and ds2 free

11:00 finish for the morning

In the afternoon evening we will do 1/2 to 1 hour of History, Literature, Science, Art or Geography.

dd2 does what she wants after 11, usually some Math and some reading.

This is working very well for us. I get lots of 1-1 teaching for the subjects that need it but I am still close by for the other subjects. ds2 tends to do his reading at the table so I can listen to him while I teach the others.

I don't have many kids but have anxiety issues.

I think BJU, and AAS need to go, they can easily be replaced with something much easier for mom- maybe even independent. Maybe even let WWE go too.

If I were in your shoes and had kids that age, I would drop history and Science all together for a few years in favor of free reading time, encourage them to pick something Science-y at the library every week.

To me, being sane, having time and energy left for my husband, etc. Will help my children in the long run.

:)

I would not go with AAS unless you have to remediate phonics. If you want rules based, there are others that are not so time consuming.

Math Mammoth is my pick for math. We are switching to it next year.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this thread.

Lovedtodeath, what would you use for spelling?

Min

Lovedtodeath, what would you use for spelling?
I am not sure at this point. Emily is a sociable one, so I can't really switch her to something more independent, so I haven't looked into it in-depth. My first thought is Simply Spelling, as it features both rules and studied dictation, the two aspects of spelling that I am not willing to give up. Rod and Staff is the only one that I have seen that teaches spelling rules in a workbook. I have seen good things about Apples and Pears but I don't know what teacher time is with that. Then if your child is more of an auditory learner, there are the Calvert CD's and Veritas Press' program The Grammar of Spelling. Edited by Lovedtodeath

I am not sure at this point. Emily is a sociable one, so I can't really switch her to something more independent, so I haven't looked into it in-depth. My first thought is Simply Spelling, as it features both rules and studied dictation, the two aspects of spelling that I am not willing to give up. Rod and Staff is the only one that I have seen that teaches spelling rules in a workbook. I have seen good things about Apples and Pears but I don't know what teacher time is with that. Then if your child is more of an auditory learner, there are the Calvert CD's and Veritas Press' program The Grammar of Spelling.

R&S Spelling has been VERY easy for us to use this year. Dd pretty much does the workbook on her own, and I quickly check her answers. Once a week I give her the test, which only takes a few minutes.

As you can see, there are many ways of doing things. I tend to use a variety of things so that I can throw them independent work on bad or busy days, while we use the better days to sit down and work together. I highly prefer to sit and teach them, although it is not always possible with four children and many other responsibilities. Some things I have found that are independent would be Abeka math, for the most part, when they are young. It’s easy to teach without the TM, although the TM is nice to have around for introducing concepts and providing extra practice. When they get older we switch to Teaching Textbooks, using it above level so that it’s challenging enough. I have used various other math supplements, including Math Mammoth. We now start Life of Fred in fifth grade, which can be independent, but I am choosing to work with my dd when she does it. We have a good laugh every time.

For handwriting, Zaner Bloser, or Abeka handwriting, until they are proficient. You will need to be close by to monitor their progress at first, or when introducing something new. Typing starts in third grade and can be independent. Copywork starts in kindergarten in my homeschool. If you give your children a passage to copy, it can be done independently if need be by the time that they are in first grade. We do copywork through third grade, and then start dictation in fourth.

With spelling, I find that as long as you are using a good phonics program, you can skip spelling until third grade. I have also waited until second grade, it depends on the child. I think that they learn some spelling through phonics and copywork. Megawords is a very nice curriculum that can be done sort of independently in fourth grade and up.

With Spanish, we do it all together at this point, but soon my oldest will require her own, more advanced curriculum. I plan to use So You Really Want to Learn Spanish. We will start Latin together soon. (not just roots)

Science, History, and Art can be done together as well, up until about seventh grade, although, you may still be able to teach the same topic on different levels. As you teach and get more experience you will find your own ways to combine. The older kids can teach the younger ones etc. It is really very nice sometimes.

This was typed out quickly, I hope it helps some. I'm sure I missed a few things....:)

We have four young kids close in age, and so I expect to spend a hearty chunk of each day helping them with schoolwork. Even so, though, there doesn't seem to be quite enough of me to go around.

I like the materials we're using, but when I think of next year doing 2nd grade, 1st grade, K and toddler....well, I'm not sure how to do it. Something needs to adjust. Lots of you juggle far more grades than I do, and have more littles underfoot too. What do you use? Can you share your favorites with me??

Here's what we're doing (or trying to do) now. What would you change to make this doable once everyone moves up a grade?

DS6, 1st grade - (super strong reader, average in math)

BJU Math 1

CLE Reading 1 (just started this)

CLE Science 1 (just started, hoping he can be pretty independent on this)

AAS level 1

WWE level 1

Artistic Pursuits (we rarely make it to this)

SOTW, volume 1 + VP history cards

HWT K

Song School Latin

DS5 Kindergarten (just beginning to read, math comes easily)

Explode the Code / Bob Books

BJU Math K

HWT K

Sit in on History, Art.

DS, almost 4 - Kumon workbooks (chomping at the bit, won't be able to hold him back much longer, formal K will need to start in the fall)

DD2- rearranging!

progress.gif

I so understand this question- my biggest hsing struggle by far has been managing 4 kids when there's only one of me.

My oldest is 15 but he really thrives on a lot of discussion and interaction. So I have to make time daily to discuss history and science, I do Spanish ahead of him so we can practice vocab and dialog with each other, and we do writing together. I work with him during quiet time for the other kids. I don't know if you do quiet time or if your Ker and toddler will nap, but maybe it would help if you did your more intensive subjects with your older two while the younger two are having quiet time?

My 5, 7, and 9 yr olds I have to fit in by lunch time. I lose their attention after lunch. I have had to let go of some programs that I think are wonderful but I had to be realistic about what I can reasonably manage, my stress was taking the fun out of our hs days.

Imo, there isn't much that is necessary for K. My Ker is happy to mostly tag along. Phonics is the only thing I would worry about in K, and that's easy to do in 10-15 per day. I would just read and read to your Ker.

With your 1st grader's curriculum, I don't think a formal reading program is necessary. If it were me, I would drop CLE reading and just have silent reading time every day, I would switch to a less time intensive spelling program like Rod and Staff, and I would drop Latin for now if I really needed to free up time. I would also drop HWT, unless he still needs practice forming letters, because he'll get practice with the copywork in WWE.

That’s strange, she forgets everything if she is required to do independent work for a day? :confused:

Spelling is also reinforced through copywork.

No... the problem is that our main program is AAS and the copywork doesn't always match the spelling lesson that we are on, so it is inconsistent. In addition, she really needs to go over the flashcards more often. And it might be 2-3 days in a row, or incorporate a weekend as well. I just have to stop and stick with it.

No... the problem is that our main program is AAS and the copywork doesn't always match the spelling lesson that we are on, so it is inconsistent. In addition, she really needs to go over the flashcards more often. And it might be 2-3 days in a row, or incorporate a weekend as well. I just have to stop and stick with it.

You would know! :grouphug:

Everyone does things differently, if you have four children it’s also going to be very different than if you only have two, some may feel the need to cut out extraneous work. . From the very moment that I started homeschooling, I had three children, and one was a a very overactive toddler/baby. As we went on, I felt the need to streamline. I decided to drop spelling altogether since they are still young in K and first, even in second, and they are getting spelling through their phonics anyway. It is just one way of doing it, and I have heard of others doing the same thing, but certainly not “the way†to do it or anything. Shrugs. I am sure that everyone has different experiences in their homeschool. I’m just sharing my experience.

Yes, if I were you, and if I was attracted to using ASS, I probably would do spelling more often as well. At one point, I wanted to use ASS, but I am getting set in my ways, and if it isn’t broke don’t fix it, and all that….but it looks like a very good choice. OP just has to decide what she wants to live without, if she feels too stretched.

:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I would have to agree, ASS looks too time consuming.

I think I am going to add some traditional copywork into our lessons. (You know, write each word 5 times.) I won't be neglecting the rest and doing only copywork, but maybe that is what we are missing. Thanks for mentioning it lovemykids. It is strange because a couple of weeks ago she was able to write 3 sentences from dictation with the doubling and ck rules interspersed (like 2 or 3 per sentence, that is how I test her) and now it has all flown out of her head.:banghead:

I do have to say though, that her spelling and independent writing has improved overall, and everytime I try to use HTTS without the help of AAS I start drowning. ;)

My oldest ds, now 15yo, has always been a "super strong reader" also. I've NEVER used a formal reading or spelling program with him (he's a natural speller also). Unless your ds struggles in spelling, I'd drop AAS. It's a great program (used it with my younger son who is dyslexic), but not needed if the student doesn't struggle with spelling and/or reading.

I didn't do formal science or history at that age. I'd drop CLE science. Since he is a strong reader, I'd get library books that interest him to read for science (like DK or Usborne books).

I'd get SOTW audio cds for your two older boys to listen to together. They could color or play with legos while listening.

Formal art for this age is NOT needed either, unless the child has a strong interest in learning some techniques. Instead I'd get a box and fill it with art supplies. A few afternoons each week, I'd pull the box out, turn on some classical music and let them create on their own.

HTH!

My oldest ds, now 15yo, has always been a "super strong reader" also. I've NEVER used a formal reading or spelling program with him (he's a natural speller also). Unless your ds struggles in spelling, I'd drop AAS. It's a great program (used it with my younger son who is dyslexic), but not needed if the student doesn't struggle with spelling and/or reading.

I didn't do formal science or history at that age. I'd drop CLE science. Since he is a strong reader, I'd get library books that interest him to read for science (like DK or Usborne books).

I'd get SOTW audio cds for your two older boys to listen to together. They could color or play with legos while listening.

Formal art for this age is NOT needed either, unless the child has a strong interest in learning some techniques. Instead I'd get a box and fill it with art supplies. A few afternoons each week, I'd pull the box out, turn on some classical music and let them create on their own.

HTH!

I completely agree with all of this post. I know, OP, that as a new homeschooler it feels scary or inappropriate to just “let a few things slide†– or do them in a more relaxed fashion, but it can save a lot of time if you listen to those who have ‘been there done that’, so to speak. But whatever you decide, I’m sure it will work out eventually. We all have to find our own way.

;)

I think I am going to add some traditional copywork into our lessons. (You know, write each word 5 times.) It is strange because a couple of weeks ago she was able to write 3 sentences from dictation with the doubling and ck rules interspersed (like 2 or 3 per sentence, that is how I test her)

I do believe this to be a very effective spelling method, if we are just generally speaking of spelling. That is the way I have taught also. Write the words five times, test, write a few sentences for dictation.

Another program I like is Spelling Plus, along with the resource dictation book. I haven’t used the dictation book, but it looks good. I have made up my own dictation.

not a magical curriculum. There are so many variables with homeschooling. We have the gift of being able to be flexible and provide one on one instruction.

Simple things like the lay out of where you do school, having everything within reach, keeping your focus on school, turning off the phone, encouraging things to go right, prepping the night before, having tricks up your sleeve to entertain younger siblings, etc. can make your school day be more efficient.

Other things like assessing where each child is every three months or so, what skills have they mastered, picking a focus area for the next three months, what skills taught now will help them in the next level, what could wait, are you adding fun stuff in to keep them motivated, is their level challenging, but not frustrating, etc. Are you making wise use of their time, by hopping in the drivers seat instead of allowing the curriculum to steer you.

It also depends on the child, some children are more independent. My middler just devours and runs with schoolwork independently, where my oldest needs to be close to me and to have a focus coach.

It does take awhile to find your system, but just keep evaluating things and tweaking, you'll get there. As long as you do school regularly and keep each progressing forward focusing on the 3-R's you'll be fine.

For us it's the loop/flow scheduling method that keeps everyone moving forward and my youngest from being squeezed out.

True, everyone will find what works for thier own family....

:tongue_smilie: