Menu

Castles and Knights

Ohio12

We built a mott and bailey castle out of Rice Krispie treats...mmmm. It was in the activity guide for SOTW.

Here's a neat castle site.

You could go with a big cardboard box or two, of course, and just cut them down.

Castle Diary is a must-read!

Days of Knights and Damsels is also an excellent resource! Lots of fun projects in it. I found it at my library.

Edited by Chris in VA

We're studying the same period. I got an Usborne book called "Make This Model Medieval Castle." Also, there is a great DVD by PBS Home Video called, "Castle." It is hosted by David Macaulay. I can't wait to use both of these resources! Have lots of fun! :D

Guest Alte Veste Academy

You could go with a big cardboard box or two, of course, and just cut them down.

Creating Clever Castles and Cars has instructions for this (for those who need instructions even though it would appear to be a no-brainer :lol:). It also has lots of other ideas that we're going to be using. For example, we'll be building a beaver lodge and re-enacting when Seaman (Newfoundland of Lewis and Clark fame) has trouble with a vicious beaver on the trail. I have two ds's who would love to play the part of the vicious beaver! :lol: I digress... It has instructions for a castle. :D

Castle Diary is a must-read!

:iagree:

Love this and all Platt's diary books! Do get the old ones though, even though they're OOP. They're larger and have beautiful full-color illustrations throughout. The text is the same. The newer ones have only black and white sketches. It's a shame.

Since the OP has two girls, this thread makes me wonder about books that would be particularly attractive to girls about this period. I'm definitely beginning to realize the truth of different things appealing to the different genders.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

We're starting castles & knights, too. My boys enjoyed the Castle dvd by David Macaulay that someone already mentioned. We did the A.G. Smith Easy to Make Castle.

There are lots of good websites about castles. We looked at a number of those and the boys (and their sister and dad!) ended up making a Lego castle. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing castle, but it was realistic & I was impressed with how many facts and details they incorporated from all the reading we'd done. The best part is that they can change/add to it as we learn anything new.

Have fun!

We bought this Medieval Castle building kit at Michael's, but just recently I discovered this (be sure to check out the gallery!), which puts our kit to shame! - Same principle though. I'm buying a few of the Gothic and Castle molds & some dental plaster for Christmas, thinking that the cathedral and castle will make good long-term projects during our study of the Middle Ages. A little ambitious, yes, but I can't wait to get started!

Usborne books has some great castle and knight selections! Like someone else mentioned, they have a make-a-castle book. If you go to: http://www.myubam.com/ecommerce/results.asp?sid=L2975&gid=90634658 you'll see the search results for "knights."

Dover Publishing, as well: http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=doverpublications&query=castle lots of making castle books!