Menu

Christmas gift ideas for kids in dorms?

Halftime Hope

Microwave! If they are allowed--VCU allows a certain size and wattage only. Ds is getting one from grandparents, and we are adding in some food and some dish covers (they look ridiculously like shower caps for bowls! lol), and a microwaveble dish or two.

shower caddy

nice fluffy robe

slippers or "room socks"--the really soft ones

small recorder that can be taken to lectures

gift certificate to Barnes and Noble--they often run the bookstore on campus and your child can get sweats or t-shirt in the college logo design

Some like to purchase a refrig instead of renting--this is a bigger deal to ds than the microwave--very, very useful.

Here are a few that my son enjoys:

mini-fridge

power strip(s)

clip-on light

desk lamp

large pillow w/arms/backrest so bed can double as couch

lap desk

lap top computer (but check if the school has specific requirements)

posters

framed photo of the family

If she will be traveling to/from school on public transportation -- some nice luggage.

Brenda

~Lightweight carpet vacuum. The one available to borrow is usually broken or checked out.

~The fridge is very, very important.

~Coffee maker.

~Brita water filter. Tap water is gross and bottled is expensive.

~One nice frying pan is nice to have on hand (but not essential) for cooking in the common kitchen if cookware isn't provided. It's nice to know you can make a grilled cheese or a fried egg with bacon at 2am if necessary.

~Gift card for the local grocery store. To buy eggs, cheese, half and half and bread. I usually give her $100 at the beginning of the semester out of our food budget and another $100 in her stocking. She also uses it for shampoo, toothpaste etc.

~Laundry bags (not baskets).

~Dd says duct tape. Apparently they use it for everything.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Barb

Be careful buying electric appliances. Different colleges have different rules for appliances in dorms.

For example, in my kids' dorm you can bring your own fridge, but the ONLY microwave allowed in the dorm is part of the micro-fridge unit that you can rent from the college. Students are not allowed to bring their own microwaves!

Alarm clock with a really loud alarm.

Meghan is notoriously difficult to wake. She will sit up, look completely alert, talk and walk around...but will be entirely asleep. The only way I could wake her when she lived at home was to send her little brother up the ladder of her loft bed. Something deep in her psyche gave her the danger signal when she realized the toddler was loose in her room. So to this day she only wakes to the bed shaking. I bought her this: Sonic Boom Bed-shaking Alarm.

Barb

Meghan is notoriously difficult to wake. She will sit up, look completely alert, talk and walk around...but will be entirely asleep. The only way I could wake her when she lived at home was to send her little brother up the ladder of her loft bed. Something deep in her psyche gave her the danger signal when she realized the toddler was loose in her room. So to this day she only wakes to the bed shaking. I bought her this: Sonic Boom Bed-shaking Alarm.

Barb

Excellent! That is now on my list! Thank you!

Edited by LibraryLover