Menu

Friend's children's inappropriate YouTube video- what would you do?

I found out about a YouTube video in which two brothers (third and 7th graders) are allegedly having a drinking contest. These are generally good kids who obviously do not have enough supervision due to uncontollable circumstances (very sick parent.)

I am friend with the mom, and I called her this morning so she can deal with this.

My question is- there was another boy I know in the background in this video. I don't know his mom very well at all. Should I let her know about this also, or should I let the mom of the boys who made the video deal with it as she sees fit?

What would you do?:confused:

Mainly because I tend to see bad outcomes from situations like this. If the boy knows he is in the video he will probably talk about it and the parents will find out. Or as you said the other parent will inform them. You really open yourself up to personal attack if you get involved. Now if that doesn't bother you, and you feel you need say something for you own peace of mind then do it. Boy I am good at giving a none direct answer aren't I.

I would want someone to tell me. I have told all of my freids to tell me if they happen upon a MySpace or FaceBook page that they think I wouldn't approve of. I just tell what I saw. I don't condemn or anything. I have told people about things I have seen.

Uggg... That is a tough one, but if it were my child in the background on youtube, I would want to know.

Could you maybe ask your friend if she has let the other mom know?:confused:

That's a good idea- I will wait a couple days and see if my friend tells the other mom.

It is a difficult decision for me, because I really don't know "other mom" very well. Also, I don't want her to stop letting her child hang out with the boys who were in the video, because of their family situation... but I do want the supervised better!

wait a sec-- are they "allegedly having a drinking contest" as in, it is s'posed to be real alcohol but you have no proof [:snicker:], or they are pretending to have a drinking contest using some other 'safe' drink [like those candy cigarettes]?

That's what I am wondering too.

wait a sec-- are they "allegedly having a drinking contest" as in, it is s'posed to be real alcohol but you have no proof [:snicker:], or they are pretending to have a drinking contest using some other 'safe' drink [like those candy cigarettes]?

It's supposed to be real alcohol, and looks like it. They also allude to it being real in the video description, and say that they are all too young to drink.

Can't you report a video on YouTube? Flag it?

Yes, you can. If it's a video of underaged kids drinking you can report it and youtube will remove it. If it's supposed to be alcohol, I'd let everyone's parents know. If you need to you can download the video so you will still have proof in case it's removed.

It's supposed to be real alcohol, and looks like it. They also allude to it being real in the video description, and say that they are all too young to drink.

ok, but my next question would be --if it was REAL alcohol, did the kids ever end up drunk? Sick? alcohol poisoning from a *drinking contest* at that age would be pretty evident. How much did they chug in the video? anything can LOOK like real alcohol, and if it was a big ruse I would expect them to say anything to make it seem real.... Even finding a Jim Beam bottle out in a ditch would be enough of a catalyst, ime. I can see MY kids setting up a pretend drinking contest, right up there w/ the candy cigarettes we pretend to smoke.

I guess i would be skeptical of thinking they REALLY were drinking alcohol, but i do understand the need to follow up just in case. And yeah, i'd call the mom of the other boy, but I don't know that I'd say outright he WAS drinking, only what it appeared to be. How long ago was this alleged drinking contest?

ok, but my next question would be --if it was REAL alcohol, did the kids ever end up drunk? Sick? alcohol poisoning from a *drinking contest* at that age would be pretty evident. How much did they chug in the video? anything can LOOK like real alcohol, and if it was a big ruse I would expect them to say anything to make it seem real.... Even finding a Jim Beam bottle out in a ditch would be enough of a catalyst, ime. I can see MY kids setting up a pretend drinking contest, right up there w/ the candy cigarettes we pretend to smoke.

I guess i would be skeptical of thinking they REALLY were drinking alcohol, but i do understand the need to follow up just in case. And yeah, i'd call the mom of the other boy, but I don't know that I'd say outright he WAS drinking, only what it appeared to be. How long ago was this alleged drinking contest?

Looked like beer, they each chugged a glass in the video. The kids were bragging to school friends about how fast little brother can chug beer. There were no signs of intoxication in the video.

I called friend mom today, and just told her they looked like they were drinking beer. I was expecting video to be off YouTube shortly after the kids came home from school, but last I checked it was still there. She might be waiting for dad to get home. If the video is still up tomorrow, I will e-mail YouTube.

Have you seen the video? If I'd only "heard" about it, but hadn't seen it first hand, I probably wouldn't do anything.

I'm also wondering if they're really drinking, or just pretending. If it were real alcohol, I'd for sure tell the other mom. If they were just pretending, I'd probably stay out of it.

So you know the other mom's e-mail? Perhaps you could just send her a link.

Have you seen the video? If I'd only "heard" about it, but hadn't seen it first hand, I probably wouldn't do anything.

I'm also wondering if they're really drinking, or just pretending. If it were real alcohol, I'd for sure tell the other mom. If they were just pretending, I'd probably stay out of it.

So you know the other mom's e-mail? Perhaps you could just send her a link.

I agree with you- if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have assumed it was a prank. After seeing it, I'm 99% sure it was beer. The boys drinking are 8 and 12.

As of this morning, the video is off of You Tube.

I'm going to leave notification of the other boy's mom up to the mom of the boys who made the video.

Thank you, everyone, for your advise- it really helped me feel better about this drama.