Menu

Fruit Flies!

Ok, so I saw a great deal on some clementines in a bag so I broke down and bought some....brought them home, put them in a pretty bowl on the table. None of them were scratched, punctured, molding, rotting, etc. We ate some of them. Like 2 days later DH said there were some fruit flies hovering around them. I was sad, and threw the rest of them out (read other post: refrigerator died), and moved on with life. Fast forward about a week....TONS of fruitflies all over the house!!!! An hour of the morning was spent DD spraying Fruit flies with lysol to stun them, then me kiling them with flyswatter...we were a vicious team! But there are still SOOOOO many. Ugh!!! HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE THINGS!???!!! I read about baiting them with juice and then they are supposed to drown...but they are not drowning! :confused: They are just drinking the juice then sitting on the rim of the funnel. :confused: I've cleaned everything, mopped, taken out trash, etc, etc, but they are just flying around. Sitting on Christmas tree. Driving me NUTS!:banghead: PLEASE, help!

How are you making your juice trap? I find it works better to make a paper funnel than to use a plastic one. Just make a cone where the point will sit just a quarter of an inch or so above the juice (fruit-based vinegar and wine also work well -- though OJ will ferment quickly if you leave it out anyway, lol), and then use tape to seal off any spaces between the paper and the top of the glass or bottle.

are they real fruit flies or just the little vinegar flies that hang around rotting fruit? the little vinegar flies are often called fruit flies but really aren't a problem as they only hang around over ripe or rotting fruit/veggies and once the fruit is removed. they seem to disappear. the real fruit flies on the other hand are terrible. they lay their eggs on the fruit, and when you cut the fruit open it is full of maggots. the fruit looks great from the outside. if you live in an agracultural area, and have real fruit fly, you might have to notify the agricultural department, as it can completely destroy orchards etc.

Heres what I do. I drink a bottle of pepsi (important!! dont skip this step) then you add some vinegar to the bottle 1/4 cup or so. Add dish soap and then add water until it makes a bunch of bubbles. (the bubbles trap the flies.) Then I use a piece of foil and poke some fairly good sized holes in it and cover the pepsi bottle with it.

Check it after a few hours and make sure the holes are big enough for the flies to crawl into it.

I literally caught hundreds of them this way last month. We are now fly free!

I put some sugar water in a bowl with some dish soap, whisked to make bubbles. I left it out in the area the flies are in and they get trapped by it.

We had a major infestation this summer; this is how I got rid of them, though it did take some time.

Fly strips are WAAY better than trying to swat at them w/a fly swatter b/c they are soo small. Put the fly strips above your sink, trash can, where you keep your fruit, in your bathroom, wherever they are.

If that doesn't work, pour rid-x down your sink overnight and then rinse it out in the morning. You're supposed to pour rid-x down your toilet once a month anyway...

We did these 2 things and it really did the trick!btw, we had both kinds of flies - fruit and drain flies(?) - the kind that just like moisture (sinks, toilets, etc)

This gets rid of our fruit flies in a day or so...

I take a small bowl, put a few slices of banana in it, cover it with plastic wrap and poke quite a few small holes in it. A yeast-sugar-water slurry works too. The flies go in and they can't get out. And if you want to make it a science observation, just leave it for a few days and pretty soon you'll have maggots. If you wait longer, you can see them pupate and produce another generation.