Menu

A funny thing happened...

For a week or so before Thanksgiving, my 8 yo kept complaining that she couldn't sleep. I thought she was sleeping, but waking up and looking at the time, then thinking she was awake all night until then. She is one of those kids that goes all day like the energizer bunny, then falls asleep quickly and deeply at night. I couldn't imagine that she was really awake for hours several nights in a row.

DD has seasonal allergies. She takes allegra when she needs it, but not year round. In November, she had some issues with allergies, so I've been telling her that she needs to remember to take her allegra.

When we went home for Thanksgiving, we didn't take the allegra. When we got back, dd had big circles around her eyes and asked for her allegra. Dh got her a pill and a drink and handed them to her. She said, "No, no that's not allegra. That's my focus pill." Dh checked the bottle and said he gave her the right one. She thought the allergy pill was green and we assured her it was white. She said the allergy pill she'd been taking was green.

We finally figured out that apparently, she got the "allegra" herself a couple of times and took Adderall instead of allegra. She probably wasn't sleeping those nights! When we tried Adderall, it messed up her mood so badly that we only gave it to her one day. I guess we should have thrown them out if we knew we weren't going to use them. Dd now has strict instructions to have an adult help her with any and all meds!

Edited by LizzyBee

For a week or so before Thanksgiving, my 8 yo kept complaining that she couldn't sleep. I thought she was sleeping, but waking up and looking at the time, then thinking she was awake all night until then. She is one of those kids that goes all day like the energizer bunny, then falls asleep quickly and deeply at night. I couldn't imagine that she was really awake for hours several nights in a row.

DD has seasonal allergies. She takes allegra when she needs it, but not year round. In November, she had some issues with allergies, so I've been telling her that she needs to remember to take her allegra.

When we went home for Thanksgiving, we didn't take the allegra. When we got back, dd had big circles around her eyes and asked for her allegra. Dh got her a pill and a drink and handed them to her. She said, "No, no that's not allegra. That's my focus pill." Dh checked the bottle and said he gave her the right one. She thought the allergy pill was green and we assured her it was white. She said the allergy pill she'd been taking was green.

We finally figured out that apparently, she got the "allegra" herself a couple of times and took Adderall instead of allegra. She probably wasn't sleeping those nights! When we tried Adderall, it messed up her mood so badly that we only gave it to her one day. I guess we should have thrown them out if we knew we weren't going to use them. Dd now has strict instructions to have an adult help her with any and all meds![/quote

Well...she is just a kid...poor baby!!!

DH took my synthroid for a week instead of his Lisinopril. And ME....well, I just count to remember whether I took it or not...and I was down one each day...never realizing that I wasn't really traking it until I was feeling like cr@p....

Well he was feeling great...so now I think he needs his thyroid checked....

:tongue_smilie:

~~~Faithe

Funny but scary! I have stopped DH from having anything to do with med administration and the kids -- he would be so haphazard that I could never count on him actually doing what he was supposed to do, so I have laid down the law -- he doesn't do the meds. But, that is truly not the same as what happened at your house -- the synthroid story strikes a chord with me! Between my HBP meds, thyroid med, and EFFEXOR, it would be a BAD thing if dh took any of them!:lol:

Dd now has strict instructions to have an adult help her with any and all meds!

Wish I had those strict instructions when I was 12... I was on three different asthma meds, and mom left it up to me to take them. Once a day, twice a day, three times a day. Long story short, I was taking two pills at night and waking in the morning feeling weird, so thought I should switch those two to the morning...

I went to school so high :tongue_smilie:. I had no idea, I was so innocent. I got sent to the nurse's office, and then home.

The positive part of it is, I was new in that school and had been tortured by a bully the first half of school. On that day, she got a piece of my mind :lol:...I was not bothered for the rest of the year.

We finally figured out that apparently, she got the "allegra" herself a couple of times and took Adderall instead of allegra. She probably wasn't sleeping those nights! When we tried Adderall, it messed up her mood so badly that we only gave it to her one day. I guess we should have thrown them out if we knew we weren't going to use them. Dd now has strict instructions to have an adult help her with any and all meds!

Wow! That is funny. A good reminder to us all to double check pill bottles!

I agree! I'm just glad it wasn't anything worse.

Thanks to all who shared your similar stories. I love the joke about switching the anti-depressant with the birth control!

It is scary. I've heard some awful stories about people taking the wrong medications. Oh, I forgot the other positive piece of my story-- I never wanted to take or experiment with illegal drugs after figuring out what my legal ones did. :D

It is scary. I've heard some awful stories about people taking the wrong medications. Oh, I forgot the other positive piece of my story-- I never wanted to take or experiment with illegal drugs after figuring out what my legal ones did. :D

Hee hee.

Once my Rx missed up my Clariten and something...can't remember...I thought it was BC but that wouldn't make sense because BC came in those little round things....Anyway I am the one who realized it and he about DIED from horror. I mean it wouldn't have been a fatal mix up, I do remember that...but still...big mistake for a Rx.