Menu

Suggestions for a Wii game that's fun for the family?

I'd like to get a new game for the Wii for Christmas. It would be nice if it was 4 player. My dh has the week after Christmas off, and we usually spend extra time playing together.

I'm considering Wii Resort, but hate to spend that much on a game this year. Does anyone know how many of the games are actually 4 player?

I had planned on getting Mario Kart, but my parents gave it to my boys in August as an early Christmas gift.

Any suggestions?

ETA: Does anyone have Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter games?

Edited by JudoMom

I'd like to get a new game for the Wii for Christmas. It would be nice if it was 4 player. My dh has the week after Christmas off, and we usually spend extra time playing together.
I just bought Hasbro Family Game Night for our family. It contains popular board games, but you can play it on the Wii. There is also a second version of this game available. One issue I've always seen with Boggle is that you see different words depending on which direction you are seeing the letters. The Wii version gives everyone the same view of the cubes. I hope it will allow us to play Big Boggle, but I'm not convinced it will.

FWIW, I've discovered that I can buy used games at GameFly. They cost about half the price of new games.

ETA: Does anyone have Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter games?
I just ordered this from GameFly, so I'm interested to hear what others have to say about it. :bigear: Edited by RegGuheert

Another vote for 4-Player Super Mario Brothers. It's especially nice because little ones can play along and then "bubble up" for harder sections and float along. That way they don't frustrate themselves or older siblings.

We do like Wii Resort as well, but having to buy the motion detectors is kind of a pain.

Wii Music is a good family game too.

I know you said you didn't want to spend this much BUT Wii Resort is sooo much fun...I can even jet ski and beat everyone who competes against me!! That in itself is worth it to me considering I can't win at any other Wii game!

How many games can 4 people play at once?

We've rented Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics and we own the other Mario and Sonic Olympic game. I didn't get the chance to play Winter Olympics with the girls but I know they enjoyed the different games on it, especially the one where you sit on the Wii board and bobsled :D We didn't have it long enough to see if it is a "keeper." All four of us enjoyed the other Olympic game, though. We would compete at the shotput and javelin throw and the trampoline (that's my favorite!).

I'm glad to hear good things about the 4 player new Super Mario Brothers. We are thinking of it.

We have the new Super Mario Brothers Wii and we LOVE it!!! You can play all four players at the same time. We have spent hours upon hours playing this game together. My dh even really enjoys it. I highly recommend it. We're really glad we got it. :001_smile:
Another vote for 4-Player Super Mario Brothers. It's especially nice because little ones can play along and then "bubble up" for harder sections and float along. That way they don't frustrate themselves or older siblings.
O.K. I'm officially interested in this game now. We are getting two more WiMotes for Christmas, so we now have four.

Does anyone have tips on how to purchase new releases like this one cheaply? Wii Fit is the only game for which we've paid top dollar and I'm not keen on spending more than US$20.00 per game. If not, I guess I'll continue my approach of waiting until they are no longer new to purchase. TIA!

O.K. I'm officially interested in this game now. We are getting two more WiMotes for Christmas, so we now have four.

Does anyone have tips on how to purchase new releases like this one cheaply? Wii Fit is the only game for which we've paid top dollar and I'm not keen on spending more than US$20.00 per game. If not, I guess I'll continue my approach of waiting until they are no longer new to purchase. TIA!

I know--it's killing me! Last year Amazon ran some good deals on Wii games, but it seems so far this year they're just running Xbox or Playstation.

Ok, we haven't tried the game yet since I bought it for Christmas but I bought Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party because it is a multi-player game. It says you can play 4 simultaneously and up to 8 in party mode. I'm not sure what party mode is though. It had good reviews on Amazon and the best part is I got it for $10 the day after Thanksgiving at Best Buy. Actually part of this game is Balance Board compatible and has some sliding game that you use the board and the remote with nunchuck. It mentioned that it was the only game in the world that you play with your rear end. I guess this game came out before Mario & Sonic Winter Games.

Josephine

We have Mario & Sonic Winter Games, Mario Party 8, Mario Kart, Acme Arsenal, Kung Fu Panda and Rayman Raving Rabbids TV party.

My 8 year old says his three favorites are Mario Party 8, Raving Rabbids and the Winter Games.

My 11 year old likes Raving Rabbids, Acme Arsenal and the Winter Games.

My eldest (14 next month) likes Mario Kart and Raving Rabbids.

eta: My favorite multi-player game is The Beatles: Rock Band. In theory, you could play up to 8 people since you can have 4 instruments and 4 singers.

The kids are getting the new Super Mario for Christmas. They love the Mario games, so, a multi-player one is great!

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I found the new Mario Brothers game at Costco just before Thanksgiving for 42.00.. haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else. It was a HUGE hit here with our family. It was the only game played the whole week our kids were here. Well, the only Wii game. We played Catan, Monopoly City and Uno a lot too. I believe there was even some Candy Land played.

• 2 weeks later...
New Super Mario Brothers is up to 4 players. We have it and it's tons of fun.
We have the new Super Mario Brothers Wii and we LOVE it!!! You can play all four players at the same time. We have spent hours upon hours playing this game together. My dh even really enjoys it. I highly recommend it. We're really glad we got it. :001_smile:

Well, I purchased this today. So much for self-control! :D

Seriously, I wanted to have something to use with our four WiiMotes. I bought it at HotMovieSale for $39.94 shipped. Caveats are that it is not scheduled to ship until December 24, you need to be a first-time customer to get this price and you need to be able to find the tiny "No Thanks" link at the bottom of the special offer that comes up just before you complete your order. If we're lucky, we will get it early. If not, we'll just have to wait for it! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks again for all the recommendations!