Menu

Persimmons?

Rosy

LOL. Depends on what kind it is.

If is is short and squat, then it is a Fuyu. You can just peel it and cut it into chunks and eat. YUMMY.

If is a Hachiya (large and more pointed), then you have to wait for it to get very very soft and then use it in muffins, quick bread, or cookies.

Persimmons are the best fruit, and so good for you! My dad grows the soft kind. THere are so many things you can do with them. The hard kind we just eat plain for dinner like you would an apple. I also cut them in small pieces and throw them on a green salad for color. The soft kind are good in cookies, breads. My parents like to eat them plain for breakfast, too. I don't like the texture so well, but both my sons just slurp them up out of the skin out in the field when they're helping Grandpa harvest. The pulp freezes well and I freeze a lot and put it in smoothies. It's very sweet so I don't have to put in any other kind of sweetner and it adds a good flavor.

Fuyu persimmons are delicious in spinach salad. Peel, slice into chunks, throw in. Easy!

Our town has a Persimmon Festival every November. This year I bought persimmon-ginger jam and it's fabulous! In the past I've also tried persimon bread and persimmon brownies, both delicious.

I haven't had the "under ripe Hachiya" experience, but recently my oldest dd did, and she is still getting over it. I've been told that when they're underripe they feel like battery acid on the tongue.

I understand the fear. Persimmons are delightful, but when I was little I took a bite of an under ripe one and just thinking about it still gives me the willies. *shudder*

When my parents moved out here there were two persimmon trees next to the house. We'd never had them, never even SEEN them. My dad said they were great, go knock ourselves out and eat ourselves silly. Yeah, they weren't ripe :glare: I thought my face was going to turn inside out and haven't tried them since ;)

I think mine is the non-pointy kind...it looks like a tomato. It's a little mushy, I think it's overripe. I'm not sure I can make it work in my menu, and I don't have time to cook anything additional. If any of you live in the Seattle area, you're welcome to come on over and have at it!

There are two main types of persimmons - asian and native (ie north american). The native are generally grown in the midwest. The asian is commonly found on the west coast, but these are just generalizations.

They (native) tend to be squishy when ripe. Persimmon pudding, bread, cake is a safe way to go.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I think mine is the non-pointy kind...it looks like a tomato. It's a little mushy, I think it's overripe. I'm not sure I can make it work in my menu, and I don't have time to cook anything additional. If any of you live in the Seattle area, you're welcome to come on over and have at it!

The non pointy kind are best eaten when very crunchy like an apple. Bummer! It'll still taste good though.