Menu

ds, age 12, had his 16th surgery yesterday

it was his 3rd one since April. He was born with cleft lip and palate, hearing loss and other birth defects. We adopted him at 8 months of age and his first surgery was a month later. A lot of his surgergies are for ear tubes with the rest for the cleft (he even had one for clefts under his eyes). In July he had a bone graft. After each surgery he asked us if this will be his last surgery and we have to tell him that we don't know.

One of his surgeons is a team doctor for the Philadelphia Flyers and has gotten ds tickets to games and one of ds's surgeries had complications and ds was in the hospital for a while, including over Christmas, and some of the Philly hockey players came to visit him.

He is such a great kid, has more friends than I have ever had and of all ages, especially senior citizens and teens, both girls and boy just love him. He is always upbeat even after his surgeries. Just wanted to post about what a great kid he is.

:grouphug: My heart goes out to you. DH was born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate. He had a total of 37 surgeries, the last when he was 21 to put in teeth implants (after which he could bite an apple for the first time!). I hope that the bone graft he had in July works - I know that is one of the trickiest surgeries he'll face.

It sounds like you're doing a great job with him. I'm sure it breaks your heart when he asks if it's over, but you know you are doing what's best for him. DH has gone from a shy boy with speech problems to an attorney who is at his best in the courtroom -- he's one of the best public speakers I know. I hope this helps you remember the why of these procedures. I will keep you and your family (especially your son) in my prayers.