Menu

Fascinating Grammar conversation from last Sept (old boards) -- Enjoy!

Beth in SW WA

Somehow I missed that discussion last year!! (And yes, I too think the old Board format was much easier to see/participate in a discussion...)

I haven't had time to read through the discussion, so maybe someone else addressed it in that old thread, BUT -- Janice's video clips (see links to those clips from her earlier thread at: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13348) on how they do language arts really crystalized for me what my philosophy about grammar is:

Diagramming as one tool to use for the ultimate GOALS of:

1. understanding WHY the writing is good (or poor)

2. and how that leads into a discussion on analyzing the literature

3. and how that leads finally into helping us understand something about ourselves, our world, our faith/worldview

Grammar diagramming or grammar mechanics are important to understand -- but if all we do is learn them in isolation -- so what? They are tools to be learned so that we can become better writers, readers and thinkers.

Thanks again to Janice for helping me think through and put words to my philosophy re: grammar! Warmest regards, Lori D.

btw....seeing if I can sneak a question in here......how do you find the old board threads? I have tried searching for them, I can't find them. Help, please!!! :)

here ya go:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com//activeboards.php

you obviously can't POST there, but you can still browse. You would just need to click on "View Old Board" to see previous pages. You might wanna browse now and save any gems cuz i doubt they'll keep those up for much longer .....

I know, isn't it fun??? I was searching for old posts today about grammar (per your thread, Jessica) --- and I got sucked into pages and pages from the old boards.

I usually google: wtmboards ________ (put whatever topic and/or person).

Its great that the old boards are stored in cyberspace (kinda weird, though) :)