Menu

Transitioning to silent reading

Mommy22alyns

I don't think there is really an age. My DD was 4.5 and reading chapter books silently. I was 7 when i was told you need to read silently now. To begin with i still moved my mouth just didn't say the words out loud. I don't think i truly 'got' silent reading until i was 8 or 9 and i was by no stretch a slow learner i am just VERY auditory;)

My dd was just starting to read chapter books when she started reading silently. She's always looked at books at rest time, but one day she came out so excited because she acutally read the book. That's when I knew she could read silently :).

I have experienced a wide range among my own children. My 5 yr old reads in bed silently every night and during the day as he feels like it. I ask him to read something short to me also most days, but he's fine with reading to himself.

My 7 yr old dd has been reading to herself since 5 too, but she still preferred to mostly read to me at that age and read aloud to herself a lot at that age.

My just turned 9 year old reads to himself occasionally, if it's a non-fiction book about bugs or presidents, but he still insists on reading his Sonlight reader to me every single day.

Both dc are able to read silently now, and it's great! I would say about the time dd started reading the #2 readers-maybe around 6.5, and ds is now, at 5. I still have them both read out loud a lot though, because I think it's important.

My stepdaughter never read much period, and unfortunately, even in high school, she had to read out loud to be able to really comprehend what she was reading.