Menu

Urgent Choir attire question?

My daughter is in choir in public school this year.

Previously she did choir in a private school and the only attire requirements for performances were to wear a nice black dress or a white shirt with a black skirt, and dress shoes, so no big deal.

Now her school choir wants all the girls to wear the same dresses at the tune of $140.00, plus beige tap shoes, beige tights and blue spankies. I just about died when I saw the figure! I didn't even know what spankies were. I googled it and it turns out to be knickers? I can't for the life of me figure out why a choir performer would need to wear these?

Is this normal? I honestly don't know what to think. Sometimes I am not sure if I don't get certain things like this because I am not American born and bred and I am not used to it or whether they really are not normal.

Could somebody please shed some light before I email her choir teacher? I really would appreciate it :)

We had to pay a bit for chorus uniforms when I was in school. However, $140 sounds like a lot! I would call the director and find out if there is any money available to offset the costs for families who can't afford it. Or at least a payment plan. Most families these days don't have that kind of money sitting around, especially near the holidays.

In our area ps it's black and white. I think it's late in the year to assume everyone can afford this. In our children's professional choir the girls wear blue long dresses and black shoes and nylons. The dresses are rented for $30.00 a year plus cleaning. The choir buys and owns the dresses.

We had to pay a bit for chorus uniforms when I was in school. However, $140 sounds like a lot! I would call the director and find out if there is any money available to offset the costs for families who can't afford it. Or at least a payment plan. Most families these days don't have that kind of money sitting around, especially near the holidays.

Is there the possibility of a fundraiser?

If the choir director is talking about these, I don't know why on earth they'd request them... they're more for sports, or under something like a short cheerleader outfit.... and goodness, they look uncomfortable. Maybe she's trying to have the girls look all "streamlined" (y'know, spandex eliminating 'bumps' and such) under their dresses --- which I think is RIDICULOUS. What a message to send to young girls!

My dd12 is in a community youth choir and they do have dresses this year - the dresses, however, didn't cost us -- they purchased them with fund-raising money and they stay at the rehearsal hall. They wear them for public performances, and the only thing we're asked to buy are black shoes.

Last year, the request was for black tops & pants - and if you didn't have the money to buy them, it was asked that you let the director know and arrangements would be made to provide your child with appropriate choir clothing. They sometimes have extras in a closet, or they'll get them somehow.

For that matter, even the choir registration fee will be waived for low income families..it's right in the brochures and on the website:

No singer who shows sincerity and promise will be turned away because they cannot afford the fees. Please talk to our General Manager about subsidies and bursaries.

Thank you all so much for your help. I have a better picture of the situation now.

It is a show choir, because that was the only choir option open to 8th graders, but would you believe I didn't even know that it involved dancing?:blush: So now I understand why they need the tap shoes and the spankies... They also have a fundraiser, but I never liked asking people to buy stuff they don't really need and could find cheaper anyway! I still feel $140.00 is too much for an outfit they will only wear a few times!

My sons were in Choirs that required tuxes! The tuxes were donated, but we had to pay a cleaning fee every year, make sure their shoes, shirt, vest, cumberbund..etc.. fit each and everyyear, all at our expense. And yes, the first year it was way over 100.00 and I had two guys in choir!

However, there were many people who would love to sell the old ones..and yes, the choir boosters always had a scholarship fund availabe if you needed it. It was handled very quietly, so no one new. Call the director and find out if there is someone handlign the uniforms who might know about used ones and a scholarship.

Thank you all so much for your help. I have a better picture of the situation now.

It is a show choir, because that was the only choir option open to 8th graders, but would you believe I didn't even know that it involved dancing?:blush: So now I understand why they need the tap shoes and the spankies... They also have a fundraiser, but I never liked asking people to buy stuff they don't really need and could find cheaper anyway! I still feel $140.00 is too much for an outfit they will only wear a few times!

Tap shoes and spankies do make sense for show choir. I will say our "outfits" were a lot simpler and less expensive. I would think they would have informed you of the dress situation/expense earlier in the year so that you could plan ahead.

The regular choir wore robes that the school provided.

The show choir I've seen wore fancy, sparkly dresses for performances. I don't know how much they cost, though. I could see them costing $140, but then if I were doing the dress selection for the choir, I could probably find an equivalent for less.

Tap shoes and spankies do make sense for show choir. I will say our "outfits" were a lot simpler and less expensive. I would think they would have informed you of the dress situation/expense earlier in the year so that you could plan ahead.

The regular choir wore robes that the school provided.

The figure given at the beginning of the year was $90.00 to $100.00. Of course I asumed that would be it, I didn't realize there would be additional expenses on top of the actual dress! All in all it comes up to nearly $180.00!