Menu

A friend is writing her master's thesis on homeschooling

She asked for my help:

I need to write a paper on home schooling for my Masters degree. Can you refer me to some good references that cover the issues involved?

I've read a million hs books, but have been "in the trenches" for too long to see the big picture anymore.

Besides, HLSDA, anyone have any ideas I can pass on? I know I've seen threads like this, but I have no idea how I could find them on a search.

Thanks!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I have no idea, but I will ask. Here is what she actually said:

It sounds like it's possible that she doesn't know what the issues are and that she hasn't formulated a thesis. Perhaps what she is actually looking for are potential theses (is that plural of thesis? LOL) and then support for them. So here are some suggestions:

Socialization of kids in homeschooled families is worse, about the same as, or better than kids in private or public schooled families.

Academic achievement of kids in homeschooled families is worse, about the same as, or better than kids in private or public schooled families.

Success in college of kids in homeschooled families is worse, about the same as, or better than kids in private or public schooled families.

Greater state oversight does/does not improve the academic achievement or reduce the risk of abuse in homeschooling families.

What qualities of the parents are most likely to make homeschooling a success? What qualities of the parents are most likely to make homeschooling a failure?

(this could include everything from education of parents, to mental health issues, organizational ability, creativity, etc.)

What motivations drive parents who choose homeschooling?

Are homeschooled kids as adults more likely, less likely, or equal to public and private schooled kids in terms of how closely they share parental values? Is that good or bad?

Can a parent be as effective a teacher as a trained professional?

There's the book Homeschool: An American History by Milton Gaither which offers some good historical background. And if she does a search on "homeschool" or "home school" or "home education" in her school's library some pretty good things should come up.

Edited by EKS

:iagree:What's her thesis? She's got to have a thesis. One doesn't do a "report on home schooling" for a master's thesis. That's Middle School, although even then I'd have the author narrow the topic.:tongue_smilie:That's way to broad.

I'm guessing that it might be a paper for a course she's taking, maybe a contemporary issues course or something. I wrote a similar one for my master's program.

I did many papers for my master's degree... this sounds more like an exposititory paper than anything else. She could potentially write a book, but I think she would have to do a broad overview to satisfy the requirements for this paper.

So I'm thinking she would want to include some numbers... depending on her state, she can get numbers from there, the Dept of Ed potentially, or some local school districts. This may show a growth pattern she might be looking to discuss.

I don't know if there are any national numbers, that would be unslanted. Maybe HSLDA has membership totals or something that might be used, but I would hesitate to use that as a sole number, simply because it is an exclusive, voluntary group.

She could discuss the varied laws for homeschooling, but I think, personally, I'd try to keep that section more brief, or it'd become a run-away train.

She could discuss the various reasons why homeschooling is chosen...

She could discuss the various approaches to homeschooling (parent-led, child-led, or collaborative), or the various options for homeschooling (traditional, cyberschooling, etc)...

I think those would be some of the most prominently seen "issues" from a potential contemporary education (and therefore more than likely pro-classroom) prof.