Menu

Looking for Christmas craft ideas for a mother/daughter crafting party...

I need great ideas for some fun Christmas craft projects that require only easy-to-find, affordable materials such as glue, pre-cut wood shapes, craft paint & inexpensive brushes, sequins or beads, fabric swatches, etc. I'd like "make-it-and-take-it" crafts that could be completed in about an hour. The craft party will be for moms & daughters age 12 & up, so I don't want anything too juvenile, but I don't want anything too complex either. This is for a small group of Christian ladies and their daughters, so I'd prefer Christian themes rather than secular. Got any great ideas??? ;)

ETA: Please post URL's to websites that have supply lists and step-by-step directions, preferably with pictures. THANKS!

Edited by ereks mom

Glass etching. It looks great and sounds more expensive and difficult than it is.

Materials:

Glass votives or small plates - no designs (plate is easier to work with)

clear contact paper

etching paste (at Joanns or Michaels - don't forget 40% coupon)

Put a piece of contact paper on the glass item. Cut out shape to be etched. Heart, star, tree etc. Remove the "shape" leaving the remaining contact paper.

Rub etching paste on glass (follow directions on jar). Contact paper acts as stencil.

The finished product looks very nice. The simpler the shape the better. Little plates can be used as candy dishes. Votives can hold red or green candles.

Glass etching. It looks great and sounds more expensive and difficult than it is.

Materials:

Glass votives or small plates - no designs (plate is easier to work with)

clear contact paper

etching paste (at Joanns or Michaels - don't forget 40% coupon)

Put a piece of contact paper on the glass item. Cut out shape to be etched. Heart, star, tree etc. Remove the "shape" leaving the remaining contact paper.

Rub etching paste on glass (follow directions on jar). Contact paper acts as stencil.

The finished product looks very nice. The simpler the shape the better. Little plates can be used as candy dishes. Votives can hold red or green candles.

Oooooh! Do you have any links or photos so I can get an idea of what this looks like? (I admit to being clueless.) Sounds wonderful!

:001_smile: Thanks!

These have always been a big hit when we've made them. If you google it, you'll find different styles.

you'll need pens (the kind that come a dozen to a pack), embroidery floss (an off-brand assortment works well), tacky glue or tape, and colored beads (bigger than seed beads but smaller than pony)

http://www.amazingmoms.com/htm/penwrap.htm

That's just the first of the sites that came up. Other sites have different ways to do the pens.

Good luck!

P.S. Dd always does them in college colors for her friends who are leaving the youth group and going off to college, to go along with their grad gift.

Baby food jar candle holders.

Use a disposable foam paintbrush to coat the sides of a babyfood jar with Tacky Glue. Roll in a container filled with tiny multi-colored glass beads. Shake off excess. Glue a length of 1/4 inch satin ribbon around the rim, tie in a bow in the center. Work on a foam plate so they can go home to dry.

I've done this with different ages and they turn out pretty and the kids like making them. The only real expense are the beads, and I used the 40% of Michael's coupons.

Oooooh! Do you have any links or photos so I can get an idea of what this looks like? (I admit to being clueless.) Sounds wonderful!

I am not able to load pictures of the projects I have done.:glare: I am surprisingly computer illiterate when it comes to things like that. I googled and found this picture on Martha Stewart, http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/etched-glass, it is fairly close to what I have done.