Menu

Great material available for online listening?

My dd1 will be spending this summer abroad. Her goal is to teach herself to make lace (!!!) in the evenings, but she really likes listening to books on tape when she does handcrafts. We cannot afford to give her enough audio books to last the summer, and, even if we could, I am not sure that she would have enough space in her suitcase!

Then I realized that there must be material online that is worth listening to.

We already know about Kreeft's lectures online and St. Anne's Pub.

Does anyone have any recommendations for audio material online --fiction or lectures or whatever? (We are reformed protestant -- PCA-- if that helps.)

My dd1 will be spending this summer abroad. Her goal is to teach herself to make lace (!!!) in the evenings, but she really likes listening to books on tape when she does handcrafts. We cannot afford to give her enough audio books to last the summer, and, even if we could, I am not sure that she would have enough space in her suitcase!

Then I realized that there must be material online that is worth listening to.

We already know about Kreeft's lectures online and St. Anne's Pub.

Does anyone have any recommendations for audio material online --fiction or lectures or whatever? (We are reformed protestant -- PCA-- if that helps.)

Congrats to your daughter. I hope that she will have the opportunity to see first hand masterworks by Vermeer and others (if I remember correctly her summer destination).

May I suggest that you look at BBC Radio? Radio 4 has a number of interesting history and science lectures and discussions, while Radio 7 has dramatizations. Episodes from their programs can be downloaded during the week after they were aired.

I often go to BBC Radio or NPR archives to listen to a program as I cook, sew, etc.

Jane

My kids download various lectures unsolicited, because they find the information presented in an entertaining and engaging way. Ds age 13 is listening to AP Euro History lectures by Hank, as we are studying the 17th and 18th centuries this year (albeit at a much less in depth level). DD age 16 found something called the Thomas Jefferson hour that she loves. It seems TJ comments on some modern events (what he would have thought). DD age 15 enjoys various parodies of Lord of the Rings. I think they have something for everyone on iTunes - and all for free.

Also, we are able to keep books, tapes, or CDs from our library for 9 consecutive weeks by renewing them twice (every three weeks). I find that other patrons rarely put anything more than 6 months old on hold.

Best of luck to your dd. It sounds like she'll have an amazing summer.

Staci

There are knitting podcasts on iTunes also. My favorites are Knitpicks by Kelley Petkun and Sticks and String by David Reidy. I like to knit listen when I can. Too bad I'm not good enough to knit and read the forum at the same time.

Cinder

I use my computer sometimes, and sometimes I download them onto my digital recorder. I, too, am fuzzy on the details, but my digital recorder (which I have for when I compose music - acts like a tape recorder) can do this. The software from the library has a nice little picture of something that resembles a calculator. If I connect my recorder with it's special wire to the slot where I usually connect my mouse and click the calculator picture, whichever chapters of the story I've selected download into my recorder. The software steps me through the process, even telling me when it is safe to unplug my recorder. To get something from somewhere else into my recorder, I use the software that came with the recorder. First I copy whatever it is into a file on my computer using windows, and then I open my special software, connect up my recorder, and drag the file from my computer file to the folder that represents my recorder. My friend got stuff off my recorder at his house using his ordinary windows software, so I'm not sure i actually need it, but it is nice and easy to use. It is rather like transfering things onto and off of a thumb drive.

My son just bought an ipod and put all his friend's music onto it. He plugged his ipod into his friend's computer (maybe it came with a special cord? probably?) and since that computer is an Apple and comes with ipod software, he just clicked and dragged everything into his ipod. He said if he wants to do that from one of our windows computers, he has to buy special software to do it.

Does that help?